E99 rebuild - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Gunsmith

E99 rebuild

Howdy,
I just had my oil pan let loose completely the other day (rusted through and epoxy broke) and now I have the whole drive train pulled.
While it is all out I'm planning on fixing a bunch of stuff the previous owner destroyed.
The truck was in an accident and it looks and drives like it's fully rolled over the odo, but I doubt it.
Functionally, the motor isn't too bad. It needs injectors, glow plugs, oil cooler, pan, hpop, and an exhaust/turbo overhual.

Build date is 3/98 which means it is an early 99.
I'm rebuilding the tranny and replacing the transfer case as it's completely trashed.
I did the 6637 mod when I bought it and it already had a super chip duct taped in when I got it, though, unplugging it made no difference at all.
It had a vacuum powered bd exhaust brake that was seized up and later I removed the cylinder.
It has some kind of bd transmission controller dohicky that doesn't do anything that I know of(previous owner should never be allowed to touch electric wires).
I am planning on doing the hutch and hatchet (or what ever they are called) mod in the fuel tank.
I'm trying to figure out what all I need to do.
I'm very much confused about the difference between the e99 and l99 motors.
I know there is something different about the pedestal, but can't the l99 pedestal and turbo and up pipes be thrown on an e99 block? Or is there an actual difference in the block?
Since everything fuel and intake related is being replaced anyways, I figure it's about time I give my old man some competition... After borrowing my truck to haul something a year ago, my dad sold his 8.1l gasser and bought a '16 f350. He has a chip, intake, exhaust, fuel lift pump. How much injector and turbo do I need to leave his truck choking in my dust?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Early 99 f350 SD dually. no oil. no bed. no transfer. no vroom. plenty of spare rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:59 AM
PSN Local

Re: E99 rebuild

Welcome to the forum. You gonna need a whole lot. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:20 AM
College Student

Patience and an open wallet.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Gunsmith

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about drag racing him. I'm talking about towing power. We have a large trailer that we pull a dozer and skid steer on. There is one Hill road we go on and it really puts the trucks to the test. My dad's new truck couldn't go any faster than 30mph when he hit the peak. I want to beat that.

Early 99 f350 SD dually. no oil. no bed. no transfer. no vroom. plenty of spare rust.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Gunsmith

I know this is gonna be costly. I'm expecting $9k+.
I noticed there are several different turbo options available. I'm lost as to the difference.
There seems to be a lot of talk about t4 mounting and s366, s369, s467, dieselsite bb turbo, wickedwheel, etc.
The turbo currently on the truck is a Garrett with an a/r of 1.10.

As far as injectors are concerned, I'm seeing 160/30 and 180/stock as recommended for towing. Would anyone be able to confirm that? Would going larger hurt my towing capabilities?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:44 AM
College Student

a stock '16 came out of the factory around 440hp and 850 or so ft*lb
Swap a cummins in, that will get some hatters going on here

You got to factor the rest of the drive train in too-
Built 4r100 or upgrade clutch

How heavy are you talking towing? There is quite a difference potentially between a skid steer and d4 dozer lol.

Its been done quite a few times to get into that HP range with a 7.3L... Just search around... Might talk to some running companies to see what the recommend...

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Gunsmith

The dozer is 17k and skid is 4800. Including trailer it's 36k.

I'm rebuilding the transmission aswell because it's shot. I want to make sure it's gonna hold up well.

This may play to my advantage aswell, my truck is drw and my dad's is srw so I think my axle ratio is a bit higher.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 01:59 PM
College Student

42k is a hell of a lot of rolling weight for a pickup. How much tongue weight are you putting on?

Might look into gear vendors. Even if you make overall more power than your pop, he still can out gear you use the power he's got more effectively. I want to say the 4r100 is still only a 4 speed like the 4EOD, but I could be wrong. The '16 should have a 6speed torque shift....

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Gunsmith

It's a gooseneck trailer.
Also, I believe I was incorrect. My truck has overdrive and I believe it's not the 4r100.
I'm completely ignorant when it comes to the 6.7. is it the same block as mine? If so, rather than building my tranny stronger, I could possibly mount up the same tranny he has.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Gunsmith

Here's the trailer. We had a few poles just in case it wasn't heavy enough. Dozer is 13k and 17k including cement counterweights just behind it. Skid is 4800 including backhoe. I don't know how much the poles weigh, but they werent light. The trailer is 15k I believe, but i could very easily be wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode