Some Mod's to Share - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

Some Mod's to Share

Hey y'all,
It's been a few years since I've been active on the forums, but I thought I would share some recent mod's I've done to my truck:

For several years I've had higher than desired oil temp's, particularly when towing. On a trip last year from SoCal to Flagstaff (in early September... still hot in the Dez), my oil sump temps were running around 242F-245F, a bit higher than I'd like to see for a sustained period. I'm pretty sure it's due to the fact that I'm running the Stealth twin-pump setup, however, the issue seems to have been exacerbated when I went to the 207F thermostat a few years back. The temp that the PCM sees (at the HPOP reservoir) was slightly lower, but only by a few degrees. I pulled and replaced the factory cooler, hoping it was clogged or something (plus, it was 18 yrs. old, and the o-rings had to be shot...). But, it looked excellent, other than the old o-rings. I went ahead and replaced it with a brand new one... But that made no difference in the sump/HPOP temps.

It's unfortunate that no one makes an "all-in-one" spin-on filter adapter plate for the 7.3, that has external connections for an external cooler/filter, etc. There are a ton of them out there for various other engines and filter combo's, but nothing for the 7.3 Powerstroke. HOWEVER, I did find a remote filter base that accepts the stock FL-1995 filter. AND, a spin-on remote adapter/base, to go on in place of the stock filter on the engine. Both parts are made by "Hamburger's Performance Products" (part of "Trans-Dapt", a company that's been around a long time...). By combining those two items (remoting the stock filter back a bit), some hose, an oil-bypass thermostat, and, of course, a cooler... Voila! External auxiliary oil cooler system. It all tucked in very nice up along the left side of the block/pan. I doesn't hang down particularly low, so ground clearance shouldn't be a problem when off-roading. Also, I thought it important to keep the stock, FL-1995 filter in the truck, as they are readily available, and it's what works with the engine. Since I'm rolling on the road/out of town alot, I wanted the oil filter to be easy to find (every parts store carries a Powerstroke filter, in some brand!).

I haven't towed with it yet, but just running around town/highway, I'm seeing a significant drop in running temps: 10-12F at the HPOP, 6-8F in the sump. The current cooler is a top-inlet/outlet, 25-row unit, made in Sweden, but I plan to up-size to a 60-row "Earl's" cooler (with side in/out) very shortly.

The oil thermostat bypasses most flow around the cooler until the oil temp reaches about 200F , then it begins to close and direct the flow to the cooler (fully closed by 205F).

All the hoses and fittings are -12 (3/4") size, so as not to restrict any flow. Originally, I had planned to use basic "1-wire" hydraulic hose & fittings for the plumbing, but the selection of hose-ends is much better with the S/S-braid "race" hose. It's a little "blingy", but kinda cool at the same time. Plus, being anodized aluminum, the fittings won't rust/corrode over time as steel hydraulic fittings might.

The oil filter base is mounted on a fabricated S/S bracket, bolted to the PTO cover on the trans. The cooler is mounted to the lower core-support member (although that will change when the bigger Earl's cooler goes in).

Here are some pics of the final install:

The second Mod is the coolant de-gas bottle. Always a source of irritation on these trucks (IMO)...

I've been through a few of these over the years, and was about to fab one up myself, out of aluminum. But then I Googled it, and found a few different manufacturers were actually making them.

Since I had already installed a Mishimoto aluminum radiator awhile back, I found that they had just released a new de-gas tank design (it wasn't even technically on the market yet). I was able to pre-order one (directly from Mishimoto) for a pretty reasonable price. It took about a month for it to arrive, but it's pretty nice! Has a little sight-glass to check cold-level. Welds are all very nice and clean; seems like a very well-made piece.

I ordered mine in black "micro-crinkle" finish, but they also come bare, polished aluminum. Fit was PERFECT! Looks much better, and no more worry of the sh!tty plastic tank cracking/leaking. Other aftermarket suppliers are selling them as well ("Summit", "Jegs"), but prices are a bit higher than I paid. Also, a couple of other shops are making custom aluminum tanks as well. They also looked very good, but were a bit higher-priced than the Mishimoto...

Check it out:

That's it for now!
Thanks for looking!

~Al

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; Turbine Jacket; Banks IC, BanksBrake
Melling LPOP, External Oil Cooler & Filter System
Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP,
Swamps 160/30's, HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5
Full R-R Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Rad & Tank; 4" Exhaust, Twin Aussie Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd, GearVendors O/U Drive

Last edited by Calico5; 09-05-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:57 PM
Native Texan

Garage
Re: Some Mod's to Share

That oil cooler mod is awesome what thermostat did u use.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by masakimm View Post
That oil cooler mod is awesome what thermostat did u use.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
The 'stat is one from "Improved Racing". It's a hi-flow design (20 GPM), yet still very compact in size. Came with the -12AN fittings.
High-Flow Engine Oil Cooler Thermostat FSM-185-215
JCart likes this.

Al in SoCal

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:12 AM
PSN intsigator

I like those

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:14 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Cool going have to wait but might be a good upgrade.

"Y'all have a wonderful"

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:42 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Ok have to ask bout the copper pipe behind the filter.

"Y'all have a wonderful"

Upgrades:
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by masakimm View Post
Ok have to ask bout the copper pipe behind the filter.
That's my fresh-water line to the back seat....

I wondered if anybody was going to notice/ask about that!

Actually, that's the CCV line...

When the new cooler/thermostat/filter setup went in, the old T444 crank-case vent pipe (which comes down the back of the engine, next to the left-side trans) ran right into the new hoses and t'stat.

Sooo... i had some 3/4" soft copper tubing laying on the shelf, and bent it up to match the original pipe (pretty close), and used it to replace/relocate the old CCV line. I couldn't bend a tight enough radius on the end, to offset over the new filter base, so I sweated-on some copper 90's, to get it around/over everything.

I should probably have painted it black, so it's a little less noticeable...

~Al

Al in SoCal
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 AM
PSN Local

Great looking setupand a Beautiful engine bay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 03:24 AM
PSN Local

The cleanliness of your engine bay has given me an inferiority complex.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.
The devil's in the details!

~Al

Al in SoCal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode