New turbo - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

New turbo

Finally got my new turbo. I just installed a new Kc38r. The noticeable power is great and the whistle is not really that loud. Now to try out for a week or to and see how things work out. I got a php hydra tuner but still notice a huge difference even when on stock settings with this new turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 01:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: New turbo

Get some tunes.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
[email protected] likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:10 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Finally got my new turbo. I just installed a new Kc38r. The noticeable power is great and the whistle is not really that loud. Now to try out for a week or to and see how things work out. I got a php hydra tuner but still notice a huge difference even when on stock settings with this new turbo.

I learned about the KC38R after I had got my GTP38R. PLEASE if you don’t mind give a review on it after you tow with it and what not. Thank you mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[email protected] likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I will do most definitely do a review for you guys. I will be towing our 36 ft travel trailer through the mountains at the second half of this week. And yes I definitely need to get some custom tunes. I still get a chugging under load which I thought was turbo surge. I think my next step is to replace the injectors.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:09 PM
PSN Veteran

If your injectors are fine, I would keep them and get a custom tune(s).

As far as the turbo itself, there is no surge, buckle, and or lack of power. I’ve towed 30k with it + 160/30. Good manageable egts and smooth power curve when doing 5% grade. Nothing short but special and spectacular about the kcturbo. Just make sure you upgrade your Transmission to match (stg2 minimum).

I’m testing a rebuild I’m doing with the Gtp38r with the billet 66 cool side. I’ll see how she does while towing. If it’s comparable to my kc38r, I’ll be doing rebuilds from here on out unless I’m wanting more power. So far 20k has been cake. Plenty of power with no surge on a heavy tow tune (php hydra).

—————signature—————
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Great info. That's what I was after. I think my injectors are fine so I'll just go and get some custom tunes and get my transmission upgraded and go from there. I got a gtp38 with billit spx wheel 5 high 5 low for sale only 4000 miles on it. It also has ebpv delete side plate on it. I bought it new last August. I also have my old gtp38 for sale . Has no shaft play.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:04 PM
PSN Veteran

This is the GTP38R upgraded to the larger compressor and 66 billet wheel. It’s leaps and bounds over the stock turbo and has low/high end grunt that my KC has. It’s no way near as high quality as the kc turbo with its ball bearing, hot and cool side wheel 366 upgrades but I didn’t spend another $1500. Funny thing is, I have no gauges (it’s not like I look at them anyways - the truck with the kcturbo has all the gauges). Originally had the combo gauges then took them off, had the cts and took it off. Now I’m just lazy to put em back on. I know my truck(s) and egt has never been an issue. When I get a chance to pull some heavy chit with this turbo, I’ll update your thread as necessary.

—————signature—————
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Great looking turbo. Was thinking of building my old one with a 66 wheel and housing kit.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well I blew off a intercooler hose going through the mountains pulling our travel trailer today. The hose was gone but the clamp was nowhere to be found. Did some calling around and got ahold of a shop named Southern Fried Motorsports in Travelers rest SC. Really great people. The owner brought me out a clamp and tools to get me back going and didn't even charge me. This was a blessing. There are some great people still in the world.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Only lost the clamp not the boot. I'm going to have to check my spelling better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode