Performance Mods? Early 99 7.3 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
SLC
PSN Newb

Performance Mods? Early 99 7.3

New to the Nation
Early 99 7.3 80000 miles

Upgrades for mileage and towing.
I have a the following items ordered and on their way.
recommendations from friends, and online Sales

TS 6 tuner
Diamond Eye 4inch exhaust
New intake

After the fact. I found out there is a big difference between early/late 99 7.3
I'm I ok with my choices
Should of done more research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Performance Mods? Early 99 7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC View Post
New to the Nation

Early 99 7.3 80000 miles

Upgrades for mileage and towing.

I have a the following items ordered and on their way.

recommendations from friends, and online Sales

TS 6 tuner

Diamond Eye 4inch exhaust

New intake

After the fact. I found out there is a big difference between early/late 99 7.3

I'm I ok with my choices

Should of done more research

Very important : 6.0 / trucool 45k Transmission cooler

Get you a valve body from BTS.DIESELSITE.JW.SamWyse.

Wicked wheel would help a lot and lower egt

Since itís 80k Iím sure no seals need redoing unless itís age rotted.

ďDonít overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..Ē
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:15 AM
dogpile

You did well to find a truck with low mileage, very hard to find.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:01 AM
shade tree mechanic

there are differences between e99 and l99. nothing wrong with e99, very good engine and rods!. i own one and just turned 122k miles. bought it 7 years ago with 80k miles on it.

a word of advice.....no matter what you read, do not swap out the turbo system to l99! it's a step backwards imo as the e99 out performs the l99 hands down when it comes to pulling a camper or flat bed. this is just my experiences over the years of trying a few diff things. as far as the billet ww2 wheel goes....don't waste your money unless the turbo whine bothers you. that's all that did in my truck, didn't lower egts or improve turbo efficiency. if you put that chip on and start hearing a weird nose that sounds like it's behind the radio it's not the wheel it not turbo surge its the waste gate controller, set to soft. again my opinion, based on my experiences pulling a fifth wheel toyhauler camper. the l99 turbo spools 300 rpm late than the e99 and you'll hit higher egts. no matter what others tell you, when pulling a camper you don't have large enough inj's to even really support 26 psi boost. my e99 manual trans truck would see 1 psi by 1200 rpm and with the l99 not until 1500 rpm. l99 runs 100* , roughly, hotter on egts' then e99.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:11 AM
shade tree mechanic

i just recently stepped up and installed hybrid 205/30% inj's from full force diesel. also a t4 kit from irate ( wouldn't do that again on an e99 as fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired and they don't car when you call) order https://www.carsonstaufferdiesel.com/pages/t4-turbo-kit if he'll make a 2 piece down pipe. if you want to know what i think of irates i will post it. so i also add a borg warner sxe366 turbo along with an adrenaline hpop and a hydra tuner. had a dp tuner but now after the power hungry tunes and 1023 tunes i now know my suspicions were correct that dp can't right tunes for a manual trans does a great job on auto trans imo. with the new tunes i don't have to put it back in stock mode to take off empty or loaded anymore like it did with the dp tuner. anyway with these mods i can hold 35 psi on hills and barely hit 1200* and that's momentary. the power to the wheels if amazing.....worth every penny imo for pulling a camper!

this was expensive to do, $5500 all in all but worth every penny! i didn't plan on the adrenaline hpop , that was an after thought or i prob would've gone with larger split shot inj's as the singles do make the truck louder. not horribly louder but between obs and stock sd.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:15 AM
shade tree mechanic

only complaint i could possible think of with these parts added to my e99 is.......it's not easy to keep it under 35 psi climbing a hill lol don't bother with a d66 or garrett 38r or kc 38r bolt on turbo. you need inj's before/with a bigger turbo and the borg warners are current tech where the others are not . the kc38r is deff bette than the other two but not a sxe364.5 or 366. the sxe 364.5 is the better one for towing a camper btw. i can only comment on what i have experienced towing, i don't race or sled pull or play i the streets so have no idea what works best for that. my fifthwheel toyhauler is a 34' wolf pacc, loaded weighing about 11k lbs and 12' 6" to the top of the ac. it's a large wind sock and in horrible side winds this sxe turbo , i rarely see 1200* egts at 35 psi boost.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:49 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
.it's not easy to keep it under 35 psi climbing a hill lol don't bother with a d66 or garrett 38r or kc 38r bolt on turbo. you need inj's before/with a bigger turbo and the borg warners are current tech where the others are not .

I donít know... 2002 stock Gtp38r SRW moved a 16k load + 6k truck up a 5% grade without a sweat... stock sticks and an old ass edge tuner...

My kc38r dually did the same trip but with 25k total up thAt grade without a sweat... multiple times!

Iím only going by experience too. I got four these sob each acting a different funky way but I wouldnít swap no van turbo into my SD. I got three sitting in the yard... rebuild the sd turbo with a 1.0 ar hotside ($70) and a billet wheel and youíre way better off than with a 1.15 ar and no wastegate.

.84 good spool up but high egt
1.0 little slow to spool better egt, higher hp and good top end.

Just 0.02

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:48 AM
shade tree mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ​ DieselDC View Post
I donít know... 2002 stock Gtp38r SRW moved a 16k load + 6k truck up a 5% grade without a sweat... stock sticks and an old ass edge tuner...

My kc38r dually did the same trip but with 25k total up thAt grade without a sweat... multiple times!

Iím only going by experience too. I got four these sob each acting a different funky way but I wouldnít swap no van turbo into my SD. I got three sitting in the yard... rebuild the sd turbo with a 1.0 ar hotside ($70) and a billet wheel and youíre way better off than with a 1.15 ar and no wastegate.

Just 0.02

i agree the .84 is going to raise egts higher than the 1.0. the 1.0 just isn't responsive enough for myself while pulling my camper. i should not have to floor it at the bottom of the hills to spool it. with the sxe366 or sxe364.5 you can literally spool up to 35 psi and let off to next to nothing and put your foot back in it and spool right back up on command at 65 or 75 mph pulling a hill. that's how i pre fer it and never exceed 1200* with a .91 exh housing and my truck weighed 8200 lbs on the scale with just myself in it. i did not try it with stock inj's, i made the swap all at one time. no need to even worry about a waste gate on stock inj's ( stock sticks) as they can't spool it high enough. the van turbo is a poor idea and glad you have had good luck with the gt38r and kc38r. the bb turbo should spool sooner/lower but from what i have heard they still blow heat at higher boost similar to stock turbo's. mine is an e99 quad cab 4x4 6 speed manual trans drw. the manuals drop boost on every shift so even more important for a responsive turbo. here is a video of a 364.5 on an auto with 200/100% inj's. he's pulling a steep grade with a toyhauler camper. watch his boost gauge and egt gauge. i have talked to this person on the phone and he has tried many diff combos over the years as i have had. he's got me beat on how many configs he's tried however. for pulling he says the same thing, hands down this new tech turbo has them all beat. he did try the gt38r also but never the e99. to date on stock style turbo's the e99 was the most responsive. the stock wheel in the e99 is what the ww1 was. l99 changed the comp size and wheel and has the turbo surge issue not the e99.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:49 AM
shade tree mechanic

diesel dc you are right they all do have diff personalities for sure!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:54 AM
shade tree mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ​ DieselDC View Post

Just 0.02

i agree the .84 is going to raise egts higher than the 1.0. the 1.0 just isn't responsive enough for myself while pulling my camper. i should not have to floor it at the bottom of the hills to spool it. with the sxe366 or sxe364.5 you can literally spool up to 35 psi and let off to next to nothing and put your foot back in it and spool right back up on command at 65 or 75 mph pulling a hill. that's how i pre fer it and never exceed 1200* with a .91 exh housing and my truck weighed 8200 lbs on the scale with just myself in it. i did not try it with stock inj's, i made the swap all at one time. no need to even worry about a waste gate on stock inj's ( stock sticks) as they can't spool it high enough. the van turbo is a poor idea and glad you have had good luck with the gt38r and kc38r. those bb turbo's should spool sooner/lower but from what i have heard personally ( pulling campers) they still blow heat at higher boost levels, similar to stock turbo's. mine is an e99 quad cab 4x4 6 speed manual trans drw. the manuals drop boost on every shift so even more important for a responsive turbo. here is a video of a 364.5 on an auto with 200/100% inj's. he's pulling a steep grade with a toyhauler camper. watch his boost gauge and egt gauge. i have talked to this person on the phone and he has tried many diff combos over the years as i have had. he's got me beat on how many configs he's tried however. for pulling he says the same thing, hands down this new tech turbo has them all beat. he did try the gt38r also but never the e99. to date on stock style turbo's the e99 was the most responsive. the stock wheel in the e99 is what the ww1 was. l99 changed the comp size and wheel and has the turbo surge issue not the e99.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode