borgwarner s366 sxe vs 364.5 sxe - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
shade tree mechanic

borgwarner s366 sxe vs 364.5 sxe

has anyone seen or felt the difference in lower rpm spool up of both/either the s366 or 364.5 sxe series? my truck is only used to pull a camper and i have the s366 sxe as i didn't know the 364.5 existed and it's isn't a great low rpm spooling turbo. i am running hybrid 205/30% inj's and adrenaline with a hydra tuner. the s366 sxe hits 1 psi at 1500 rpm, push wot then lights around 1800 rpm, and hits 30 psi by 2400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 PM
young guy, old trucks

Re: borgwarner s366 sxe vs 364.5 sxe

The 364.5 in my 6.7 spools pretty much the same and the 6.7 is supposed to be faster flowing platform do to the exhaust manifolds in the valley.

2001 ccsb lariat, php hydra, edge cts2, straight pipes. gone but never forgotten
2011 ecsb xlt, 325/60r20, 20x10 pro-comp rims, mpd t4 budget kit, sxe s364.5, G3arhead tuning, H&S intercooler pipes, five inch flo-pro, six inch tip, 514rwhp, 908ib/ft torque with bald tires
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
shade tree mechanic

do you have a compound borgwarner turbo set up then or a single? it is interesting that your 6.7 drives the turbo about the same considering the system!

i am curious how low in the rpm band the 364.5 will spool on a 7.3. the tunes that came in my hydra tuner are power hungry tunes, full force loaded for me. couldn't figure out why i now have a cruise light on the dash until i talked to power hungry. i was informed they loaded the wrong tunes, said they were for an e99 but not for my ecu and surprised the engine even ran. it runs but idles bad, so maybe once i get the tunes i bought couple nights ago from 1023 it will run better and actually idle smooth. funny thing is if i switch it out of stock to light or heavy tow 75% of the bad idles stops, it stops shaking the truck anyway. full force said i needed to put 100 miles on it to get the air bubble out of the oil system. i installed there hybrid 205/30% inj's as well as an adrenaline and t4 irate kit and s366 sxe at the same time. i thought that's possible but the fact changing from stock to tow tune takes that much of the issue out i leaned more towards that and after 150 miles and burping the oil rails 3 times nothing has changed, slightly better but no real change. i am betting the irate t4 kit i got ,was designed for the l99/up and automatic trans as it doesn't fit well in the e99 with a manual. it's working but rubs the head on pass side in one spot, innercooler tubes don't fit well either. had to pull the leaf spring bolt and bend the pinch weld over about 1/4" to get the down pipe in. worst part is that has to be dropped to get the pass valve cover off ever again! the down pipe rubs the heat shield on my fire wall also, no other way i can see to adjust that so may have to take it out and build my own i guess.

had a dp f5 but had a couple issues so thought i would try hydra this go around. so far (even with wrong tune) it solved the take off issue. don't have to switch to stock mode and take off in granny low anymore. always thought it was odd he said the tunes are the same for an auto vs manual . his tunes were spot on for my 1995 f250 auto just not for my manual.

any way ........just curious if anyone has tracked the 364.5 at the low rpm spool is what i need for pulling a toyhauler camper only! i ask because i'm worried this may dog out like like the late 99 turbo while towing. since i run 1800 rpm while at 60 to 65 mph and 2300 to 2400 in the innerstate.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 03:04 PM
young guy, old trucks

I'm running a single turbo setup. The s364.5 won't start making more than 3 psi until 1800rpm but will pull all the way to red line. My truck when on the dyno was a light haze at wot. The gtp38 in an e99 and an sxe series turbo are two completely different beasts. The sxe has a larger exhaust wheel and turbine wheel which is more weight to spin so therefore takes more force, but top end for days. All the issues you've described above sound like tuning issues to me, especially if your chip is flashed for the the wrong pcm. Get tunes for the right pcm and there will be a big difference. Also the 7.3 revs higher than the 6.7 and with the manual you'll spend more time in the higher revs making boost vs a 6.7.
edit: added the video of my truck on the dyno so you can see smoke output and how it spooled. It hit 40 ibs of boost very quickly after 1800 rpm and did 140 km/h in fourth gear. The import guys who run that dyno were pretty impressed by the torque numbers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw80uuk0e1...8_383.mp4?dl=0

2001 ccsb lariat, php hydra, edge cts2, straight pipes. gone but never forgotten
2011 ecsb xlt, 325/60r20, 20x10 pro-comp rims, mpd t4 budget kit, sxe s364.5, G3arhead tuning, H&S intercooler pipes, five inch flo-pro, six inch tip, 514rwhp, 908ib/ft torque with bald tires
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 03:32 PM

You will definitely like the 364.5 better than the 366. You have pretty small injector and it should pair well. Especially with a standard.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
shade tree mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegenpowerstroke98 View Post
I'm running a single turbo setup. The s364.5 won't start making more than 3 psi until 1800rpm but will pull all the way to red line. My truck when on the dyno was a light haze at wot. The gtp38 in an e99 and an sxe series turbo are two completely different beasts. The sxe has a larger exhaust wheel and turbine wheel which is more weight to spin so therefore takes more force, but top end for days. All the issues you've described above sound like tuning issues to me, especially if your chip is flashed for the the wrong pcm. Get tunes for the right pcm and there will be a big difference. Also the 7.3 revs higher than the 6.7 and with the manual you'll spend more time in the higher revs making boost vs a 6.7.
edit: added the video of my truck on the dyno so you can see smoke output and how it spooled. It hit 40 ibs of boost very quickly after 1800 rpm and did 140 km/h in fourth gear. The import guys who run that dyno were pretty impressed by the torque numbers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw80uuk0e1...8_383.mp4?dl=0

problem is i don't spend much time above 1800 rpm while towing hwy's. not much of our drive is innerstate which is 2200 to 2400 rpm depending. the tunes will def help and it's been 48 hrs since i emailed full force three times, left two messages (one with a gal that answered) and still not correct tunes or call back. not sure what happened to full force diesel but customers don't come first anymore.

nice video but i didn't go to all this trouble to run mine high or race it. it's just to better tow my toy hauler. i already installed the parts but have been thinking about changing to the s364.5 just wanting to see if there were any specs like this out there??? like this guy.....238/80% inj's and s366 sxe turbo pulling grade, with a 38" gooseneck loaded about 28k gross in the video. this is a good comparison but 238/80 vs my 205/30 is what i don't know how to compare.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 08:48 PM
young guy, old trucks

I think with these bigger sxe turboes you might find that to pull heavy cool and smoke free you might have to drop a gear and spin a few more revs. It seems counter productive but the extra flow from the turbo spooling a bit harder will make a difference. From what you're saying about your experience with the s366 and given my experience with the s364.5, I don't think you'd find a huge difference in spool up imo. As for tunes, Have you tried G3arhead tuning or even php themselves? Both have been good to me for responding quickly.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
shade tree mechanic

as far as tunes go i actually purchased tunes from 1023 couple nights ago. haven't got them yet but hoping maybe tonight. def need correct tunes to know more but i would think the 6.7 would spool that turbo quicker based on the very design of that engine??
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
shade tree mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbluke55 View Post
You will definitely like the 364.5 better than the 366. You have pretty small injector and it should pair well. Especially with a standard.

what size would you pair with the 366? not doubting you btw, it's interesting all the diff opinions. jody at dp says 180 cc are a good match and caylon at full force says hybrid 205/30% are a good match and another said 238/80% would be a good match ( which in that video seem to work very well for the load!). this is for towing only not sled pulling or racing or highest hp on a dyno. i only need a tow tune , do not need nor want a crazy street tune just stock, high idle, med tow and heavy tow.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
shade tree mechanic

full force emailed new tunes so we'll see how these work until 1023 send theres.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode