Re-Gearing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re-Gearing

Thinking about doing a regear on my DRW 2wd flat bed.
I did a search and came up lots of hits for people running 40's and such. My situation is the truck has 4.10's now and turns right about 2000 rpm at 60mph. Which seems kinda high for a diesel. I was thinking of dropping it to 3.55's or 3.73's . This truck is used many for pulling a 9000 lb 5th wheel camper.

Will the totally stock 7.3 be ok with the higher gears while pulling the 5er? Or should I just leave it alone :)

Thanks guys
Scoob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:30 AM
Native Texan

Garage
Re: Re-Gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Thinking about doing a regear on my DRW 2wd flat bed.
I did a search and came up lots of hits for people running 40's and such. My situation is the truck has 4.10's now and turns right about 2000 rpm at 60mph. Which seems kinda high for a diesel. I was thinking of dropping it to 3.55's or 3.73's . This truck is used many for pulling a 9000 lb 5th wheel camper.

Will the totally stock 7.3 be ok with the higher gears while pulling the 5er? Or should I just leave it alone :)

Thanks guys
Scoob
Well my stock 95 did great running 4.10 pulling A 20 ft camper at 80 mph to Texas and got 18MPG. That being said I am planing an axle swap out of a E450 for disc breaks and plan on dropping my gearing to 354 gears but I have also since upgraded my truck and will use custom programing. lots of guys regear their trucks just be careful of not taking to much gear and getting out of the power band. You don't want to be lugging ur way up a hill with no power pulling a 5th wheel. But that's just my 3 cents worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:39 AM
PSN Veteran

Donít do it b/c we have an auto. Importantly, not enough ponies. Now if you had say 400-450rwhp, yes it would do it just fine. The newer trucks have 3.55 and 3.31 SRW . Itís possible b/c they have the grunt + torqueshift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:06 PM
PSN Newb

Owning an excursion with 3.73s in it and a stock 7.3 I wouldnít go that low. Itís fine on my setup until I find a hill of any kind, then i have to adjust speed to keep it from hunting.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:41 PM
PSN Veteran

Re-Gearing

For what itís worth. I pull 18k up a 5% grades no gear hunting and it keeps increasing in speed the more I push the go pedal:] built 4r100 with dually and tuned 7.3 with 373. Your mileage may vary.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Great input.

Thank You Guys.

Think I will just leave it alone at least until next year when I buy a tuner kit.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode