Can't make more than 14-16 lbs boost - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Can't make more than 14-16 lbs boost

Hey folks - looking for some help to diagnose. I installed a new turbo, Garrett38R with the wicked wheel 2 and for some reason can't make more than 14-16 lbs. of boost. My EGTs are pretty low, they run around 340-370 with normal acceleration. I've checked for exhaust leaks and can't find any, but would think if this were the case my EGTs would be high and they are not.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Larry is getting a make over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Re: Can't make more than 14-16 lbs boost

Most likely your waste gate actuator is too loose. Give it two or three turns in. Next. The ww2 isn't know to preform any better and some say it causes premature failure in the 38r.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't heard about the premature failure but I'll let you know what happens here. I'll check the waste gate actuator, thanks for the suggestion. I do have a couple of corrections. The wheel is actually a RiffRaff 38R Billet compressor wheel, not a WW2 as I mentioned earlier, sorry memory isn't what it used to be. Also installed are the Turbo Wastegate actuator vacuum lines and OCR Overboost code regulator, XDP 7.3 Bellowed up pipes and complete CAC Intercooler Boot kit and EAS EGT probe. Also installed the EBPV eliminator. I think that covers it. (had to go back to my parts list to refresh my memory)

Will check the waste gate actuator shortly.

Thanks again!
LarryF250

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:46 PM
PSN Local

I think the issue with the billet wheel on the 38r is that you have to get it balanced properly every time that wheel and turbo are separated. Seems to be a lot of people that just threw a billet wheel on their 38r like you would do with a stocker and destroyed the turbo in less than 50k Miles. Also, from the posts I read, it doesnít sound like that wheel is much better than the wheel that comes with the 38r. I have no direct experience, just seems to be an almost universal issue on the forums.

2000 F-250 4x4 SuperCab Short Bed 7.3 w/ 280,xxx mi - 4" Pro Comp - Redhead - 37x12.50x17 BFG A/T KO - 3.73 Gears - CTS2 - Hydra - FFD 238cc/80%
KC38r 366 - Adrenaline - Irate Fuel System w/ Sump - 4"Exhaust - K&N CAI w/ S&B Filter - FFD Bellowed Up Pipes - AIH Plug - RiffRaff Plenums & Boot Kit
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the heads up McNance - I asked Riffraff if the wheel needed to be balanced when putting it on and they said it comes already balanced to the components the 38R, so no need to balance it again. I put it on and checked the tolerances and it spins fine with no play in the shaft either up and down or side to side. I would think if it were out of balance you see that a lot sooner than 50K due to the rpms that thing spins at, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks,
LarryF250
"The only difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has it's limits."
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Here's an update guys and gals - I tightened the waste gate actuator 3 and half turns until it was tight and took it for a test drive last night. after warming it up took it on the hwy and put my foot in it on the on ramp, still only showed 14 lbs of boost, even though there was no apparent power loss, no turbo lag, nothing to indicate that the power was suffering at all. EGTs went from 338 climbing gradually to 561. Pulled strong the entire time. Got back home and checked for any soot around all the pipes and nothing.

Next step is to replace my MAP sensor which is the only thing I can think of that might be bad. not throwing any codes ... nothing.

signed,
Almost stumped ...

Thanks,
LarryF250
"The only difference between Stupidity and Genius, Genius has it's limits."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 04:11 PM
College Student

You could make boost leak detector for about 15 bucks. Then that way you can check all of the intercooler pipes and boots. There could be a pin hole somewhere in the system.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 04:22 PM

Something ain't right. Egts should be way higher. Closer to 1200 at wot. Also where are you monitoring your boost from.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 04:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Seems to me like you are lacking fuel. If you had boost or exhaust leaks your egts would be high.

Is your egt probe in the manifold or down pipe?

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 04:31 PM
young guy, old trucks

This might sound dumb but you have a chip right?

2001 ccsb lariat, php hydra, edge cts2, straight pipes. gone but never forgotten
2011 ecsb xlt, 325/60r20, 20x10 pro-comp rims, mpd t4 budget kit, sxe s364.5, G3arhead tuning, H&S intercooler pipes, five inch flo-pro, six inch tip, 514rwhp, 908ib/ft torque with bald tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode