fuel system questions for stage 3's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

fuel system questions for stage 3's

I have my truck tore apart at the moment waiting on the heads to come back from the machine shop and I'm trying to decide how far I need to go on the fuel system for my 7.3. Where it sits right now I'm running 238/80's now and never plan on going bigger on the injectors, when the heads come back from the machine shop they will be decked .015, and bowls and runners will be cleaned up. Final horsepower goal is right around 600 which with pairing with the right turbo shouldn't too difficult. I just don't know how far I actually need to modify the fuel system. I will definitely have a home built regulated return but with the size of injector I have do I really need larger fuel lines from the tank up? When I first started looking at this project 3 years ago when I got the injectors my plans were for a dual super duty pumps but the more I get to thinking about it now and reading I think I want to do the fuel labs pump. Just trying to get some input from some guys that are running these type of larger injectors to see how you guys ran your systems and if your seeing any type of fuel pressure loss with the system you have now. Thanks for any help guys.

2002 f250,ccsb 280k
4" lift 35x14.5's
unlimited 238/80's, regulated return
heads off for porting and gambling on pmr's

2001 250, cclb 4x4 245k
33x12.5 fierce attitudes
S&b intake
4" turbo back no muffler
regulated return
Gearhead tunes
Unlimited 238/80s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 AM
PSN Local

Re: fuel system questions for stage 3's

My truck is at the shop right now, getting 238/80s, KC38r 366, Irate SD Fuel System, Adrenaline, and some other things, so I can't really comment on needing/not needing just yet. However, from everything I've read and learned over the last few years, I doubt highly that you will reach 600 rwhp on 238/80s. Not saying it isn't possible, just don't think that will be "not too difficult" as you say.

2000 F-250 4x4 SuperCab Short Bed 7.3 w/ 280,xxx mi - 4" Pro Comp - Redhead - 37x12.50x17 BFG A/T KO - 3.73 Gears - CTS2 - Hydra - FFD 238cc/80%
KC38r 366 - Adrenaline - Irate Fuel System w/ Sump - 4"Exhaust - K&N CAI w/ S&B Filter - FFD Bellowed Up Pipes - AIH Plug - RiffRaff Plenums & Boot Kit
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 03:33 AM
PSN Veteran

Itís an impossibility to reach 600 with 238/***. You want solid 600? You need 300/200 sticks. If you can afford 600hp, youíll have all the required upgrades? Me? Not so much lol. Too poor - still counting my mpg that is till Iím towing 16-18k trailer then all bets are off haha!

If you have a fuel bowl retaining kit + regulated kit, you are fine - dual fuel pumps would be nice too. Or just delete the bowl all together.

I know once youíre done - itís going to be a fun truck to drive :). Iíve read countless of posts saying when you increase your fuel output from stock 150cc ish that you get better fuel economy... okay yeah sure what ever. Iím sure youíre not worried about mpg if youíre wanting 600hp lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:56 AM

I personally donít think one 3/8 fuel line will be big enough. If it was me. I would run 1/2Ē from the pump to the y for the regulated return. And 5/8 from the tank to the pump.
biggin2001 likes this.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I have all of the support mods that need to be done I just didn't write it all out beings I'm specificly looking for advise as far as building the entire fuel system With the advancements in tuning over the years 600 is not that hard to obtain with 238's, I have seen several people reach as high as 630 on 238/100's. The difference between 80% nozzles and 100% nozzles is only about 15cc's of fuel. Don't get me wrong I am looking for horsepower goals at the top side of what my injectors are capable of but with the right turbo setup it won't be a problem. When I purchased my 238's the only thing I had was a fuel crossover and changed out the spring for fuel pressure regulator, my tuning was very conservative and I averaged around 14mpg just about no matter where I drove. When pulling mileage really didn't change much, all the way across the state of Kansas at 20k gvw not much wind and running right at the speed limit I averaged 12.5mpg. I bought injectors when I had to and now I have the money to finish the system out the way it needs to be built. mcnance865: I'm assuming your having a local shop running your fuel system? The fuel system your getting installed is complete from tank to heads, did you come up with how you wanted your fuel system on your own or was it from recommendations of somebody that you really need to have the larger supply from tank to heads?

2002 f250,ccsb 280k
4" lift 35x14.5's

2001 250, cclb 4x4 245k
33x12.5 fierce attitudes
S&b intake
4" turbo back no muffler
regulated return
Gearhead tunes
Unlimited 238/80s
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:31 PM
PSN Local

Yes. I am having a local shop do the work. At first I just wanted the regulated return but after talking with him and he talked with Irate, we decided it would be best to just do the whole thing including a sump. It is probably not required but will make it better I believe. The sump kept me from having to drop the tank for hutch mod. I decided to spend the extra money and do the full system the first time and not regret it later that way I know my fuel system is up to the task of my injectors.

2000 F-250 4x4 SuperCab Short Bed 7.3 w/ 280,xxx mi - 4" Pro Comp - Redhead - 37x12.50x17 BFG A/T KO - 3.73 Gears - CTS2 - Hydra - FFD 238cc/80%
KC38r 366 - Adrenaline - Irate Fuel System w/ Sump - 4"Exhaust - K&N CAI w/ S&B Filter - FFD Bellowed Up Pipes - AIH Plug - RiffRaff Plenums & Boot Kit
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I can agree with that. I called out to ulimited and talked to the guys out there and basically they said that you could run the system on factory fuel lines with a good pump on regulated return, the injectors would get enough fuel to do that they need without having problems with cutting out but fuel pressure loss would likely be seen at top end of wot. But with that being said, changing the fuel system to a 5/8Ē pickup (or sump) to pump, then ĹĒ to y fitting for each head as suggested by sbluke55 the injectors would never see any fuel pressure loss and the most performance would be seen out of those injectors with a complete fuel system from tank to heads. The system that you bought from irate looks like a pretty badass system. But beings Iím a mechanic by trade Iím sure ill end up building the system myself just because I love tinkering with my truck. Thanks guys for your input. Now its time to start buying parts!

2002 f250,ccsb 280k
4" lift 35x14.5's

2001 250, cclb 4x4 245k
33x12.5 fierce attitudes
S&b intake
4" turbo back no muffler
regulated return
Gearhead tunes
Unlimited 238/80s
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by ​ DieselDC View Post
Itís an impossibility to reach 600 with 238/***. You want solid 600? You need 300/200 sticks. If you can afford 600hp, youíll have all the required upgrades? Me? Not so much lol. Too poor - still counting my mpg that is till Iím towing 16-18k trailer then all bets are off haha!

If you have a fuel bowl retaining kit + regulated kit, you are fine - dual fuel pumps would be nice too. Or just delete the bowl all together.

I know once youíre done - itís going to be a fun truck to drive :). Iíve read countless of posts saying when you increase your fuel output from stock 150cc ish that you get better fuel economy... okay yeah sure what ever. Iím sure youíre not worried about mpg if youíre wanting 600hp lol!

It is possible and has been done. A few have hit 500hp on the rollers with 160/100s with track times to back the numbers up. If you drive the truck like a truck fuel economy shpuld not be an issue if its setup correctly. I see no differnt fuel economy with 350/200s over stock injectors. Many see slight increases going from splits to single as the pilot shot is more for emissions and knock reduction as it does not contribute much to power and less high pressure oil is needed to drive a single and much less PW in the tune.

97 250 7.3 Eaton VMP TVS, IDI performance T4 mount, S369SXE, my B code 350/200- my tunes- honey badger SR, Efuel, 5" SKY RSK TTB, BMW M3 seats, Toyo M/T
54 GMC 453T
45 Chevy 451 diesel
51 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedretard View Post
It is possible and has been done. A few have hit 500hp on the rollers with 160/100s with track times to back the numbers up. If you drive the truck like a truck fuel economy shpuld not be an issue if its setup correctly. I see no differnt fuel economy with 350/200s over stock injectors. Many see slight increases going from splits to single as the pilot shot is more for emissions and knock reduction as it does not contribute much to power and less high pressure oil is needed to drive a single and much less PW in the tune.

Well I have 160/30 and two 150hp tunes

1) takes the low end fueling out of the equation b/c I use it as a DD and stomp on it after 50mph

16.7mpg dually 373 gears

2) same tune with the low end fueling added and itís so much fun to drive. For testing purposes, I drove it just like the first tune - did over 1500miles
TWICE

14.3 and 14.9 mpg respectively

So I went back to my first tune and now Iím back to 16.5-16.7mpg

So maybe itís just my experience but my take is say if I upgrade to 200/200, and max out the sticks Iíll be solid 425 at the wheels and Iím sure mpg will suffer. Iím sure I can detune it to get the better mpg and then turn the knob when I need to to but honestly I use one tune for everything and thatís including towing heavy

Too cheap to experiment b/c itís 3k for a set with brand new solenoids (I want a rebuild with new solenoid). Maybe some day haha.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:54 PM
PSN Local

It all comes down to the tuning and well how the 7.3 is setup. I have many hours dialing in the tuning for my truck. Spread out of course. But I can actually run my 200% nozzle injectors on a stock PCM without a chip and it idles and drives like a stock truck. You just cant put your foot to the floor as a stock calibration calls for too much PW for large nozzles.

97 250 7.3 Eaton VMP TVS, IDI performance T4 mount, S369SXE, my B code 350/200- my tunes- honey badger SR, Efuel, 5" SKY RSK TTB, BMW M3 seats, Toyo M/T
54 GMC 453T
45 Chevy 451 diesel
51 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode