Trans swap - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Trans swap

Found a guy that wants to trade his zf6 for my 4r100. I know what all I need for the swap. Question is what all does he need from my truck to make the auto work in his truck.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:12 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Trans swap

Weíll swap pcm too to be easy for both parties.

Both need everything that each transmission needs. I suggest you guys do it side by side and help each other out - makes it a lot easier for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ​ DieselDC View Post
Weíll swap pcm too to be easy for both parties.

Both need everything that each transmission needs. I suggest you guys do it side by side and help each other out - makes it a lot easier for both.

The wiring harness for my 4r100. Where do I disconnect that. And is there a place for it to hook right up to his or are we gonna have to do some serious wiring?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:29 AM
PSN Veteran

As far as wiring, if you follow the wires up, it will share a common bundle with others but can be separated near the brake booster area. I donít have a manual b/c I stop driving those 20yrs lol lol.

Does a manual even have a cable bundle? Thatís why I suggested doing it side by side and helping each other out - just bring a swear jar and a few cases of beer!

I know that the auto pcm can be reprogrammed to manual but not the other way around.

Youíll have to install master slave cylinder and clutch pedal - itís a biatch when I did it on a mazda mx6 but guys who did it on the 7.3 says itís fairly easy.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
As far as wiring, if you follow the wires up, it will share a common bundle with others but can be separated near the brake booster area. I donít have a manual b/c I stop driving those 20yrs lol lol.

Does a manual even have a cable bundle? Thatís why I suggested doing it side by side and helping each other out - just bring a swear jar and a few cases of beer!

I know that the auto pcm can be reprogrammed to manual but not the other way around.

Youíll have to install master slave cylinder and clutch pedal - itís a biatch when I did it on a mazda mx6 but guys who did it on the 7.3 says itís fairly easy.

That's what I'm getting at. The manuals don't have a harness. So would they have a place to hook the auto harness to it somewhere. If not I imagine this being a huge pain in the ass

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:46 AM
PSN Veteran

If the manuals donít hAve a harness to began with, youíre golden. Just tuck alway your harness somewhere safe j see the truck. Keep in mind when youíre taking that sob off, clips break easily. Had to solder a new one one (I donít like zip ties). Who knows, you might want to swap back to an auto layer down the line.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
If the manuals donít hAve a harness to began with, youíre golden. Just tuck alway your harness somewhere safe j see the truck. Keep in mind when youíre taking that sob off, clips break easily. Had to solder a new one one (I donít like zip ties). Who knows, you might want to swap back to an auto layer down the line.

It's possible. But that's the only thing I hate about this truck, the 4r100. I've always been partial to manuals

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:51 AM
PSN Veteran

The 4r100 is awesome if you build it right but yeah I hear ya: we like what we like :)

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Since his truck, the manual, doesn't have a harness than it wouldn't have any where for the auto harness to hook to his truck..I have the easier of the 2 I believe. In worried about making it work in his truck more than mine

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 01:19 AM
PSN Veteran

I would have to say he needs to spice the harness in with your auto pcm.

If that wonít suffice, PCS will control it.

Someone whose done it chime in soon . Well both learn something and Iíll take notes :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode