Next upgrades? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Next upgrades?

I'm kinda stuck as to what upgrade to do next. Like my signature says, I've done an intake, BTM muffler on a stock exhaust, SS HPX, and gauges (still gotta get boost). Im stuck between upgrading the exaust to 4" or 5", or doing a chip (I've already decided on PHP). Will the chip work fine with the stock exhaust with the BTM?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOR SALE - 2002 F350 supercab 4X4, 7.3 PSD, auto, 126K mi., PHP Tuned, 05 Grille, 6637 intake, Zoodad, Gauges, High Idle and Fog Light mods., Coolant Filter, Foil Delete, Walker BTM, SS HPX, Blacked out lights, 5% tint, Leveled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Next upgrades?

I like to do thing right. In my eyes I would go with 4" turbo back exhaust first, then the chip.

2002 F250 7.3 PSD
Dyno Proven Tunes
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Freedom is not free

I would recommend the Exhaust and boost gauge before the chip also. You can do the chip first if you really want to but in the higher HP programs EGT's might be an issue.

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:14 PM
PSN Veteran

What are you're goals for the truck? Do you tow alot? I don't think the exhaus will be an issue if you're just going to go with some tunes. If you have plans of bigger injectors and turbo, then it's pry worth doing the exhaust now. But I don't know how to do things right.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:21 PM
PSN Veteran

I said in my eyes thats what I would do. It was beat into my skull when I first was getting a chip that you "had" to have at least exhaust, intake and guages. Times must have changed. Keep the stock exhaust!!! haha

2002 F250 7.3 PSD
Dyno Proven Tunes
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake0524 View Post
What are you're goals for the truck? Do you tow alot? I don't think the exhaus will be an issue if you're just going to go with some tunes. If you have plans of bigger injectors and turbo, then it's pry worth doing the exhaust now. But I don't know how to do things right.
I use the truck as a daily driver, for plowing snow and towing a 24' boat, a little bit of everything. The motor is gonna remain stock. I have no plans for a bigger turbo or any internal work. I'm looking to keep this truck for a long time. What I am looking for is power and better mileage without sacrificing reliabilty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOR SALE - 2002 F350 supercab 4X4, 7.3 PSD, auto, 126K mi., PHP Tuned, 05 Grille, 6637 intake, Zoodad, Gauges, High Idle and Fog Light mods., Coolant Filter, Foil Delete, Walker BTM, SS HPX, Blacked out lights, 5% tint, Leveled
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake0524 View Post
What are you're goals for the truck? Do you tow alot?
Good point about the towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPLTrucking View Post
I'm looking to keep this truck for a long time. What I am looking for is power and better mileage without sacrificing reliabilty.
If it was my truck I would do the exhaust & boost gauge before the chip, and definitely the in tank-pre pump mods to remove the air in the fuel system to keep those injectors healthy.

Edit: here is an example of one:

ITP 7.3L Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Buffalo Diesel

Here is the thing IMHO-

Exhaust - $500 - 20-30hp, maybe? No gain in MPG, and very little satisfaction/dollar. You already have a muffler, so you probably have the sound you're after. Your EGTs aren't a problem on the stock tune, and never will be, so the exhaust is just laying a foundation for future modifications, of which yours will be basic and don't need a full exhaust to truly benefit from.

Tuner - 100hp. MPG gains depend on your right foot, and the tuner. Instant gratification. With a close eye on your EGT gauge, you can really, really enjoy every dollar you spent. Towing will be a pleasure with the additional power. Spend $30 on a boost gauge that reads up to 35psi and be on your way. Enjoy the new power, no regrets.

I still haven't put an exhaust on the truck and I have 250/200 injectors, a tuner and an intake. My EGTs are completely under control.

If anyone had $500 kicking around and wanted to put something on the truck, I always start with a tuner. It will satisfy the need for more power. It will open your eyes to the potential performance of the truck, and either make you want more, or just leave you with a perma grin.

If you wanted to throw a grand at it... then tuner and meth. lol. Or Tuner and exhaust.

2000 F350 CC LB - 250cc 200% - Matt Tuned - 9" Lift - 38" Extreme ATs - Vegistroke
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPLTrucking View Post
I use the truck as a daily driver, for plowing snow and towing a 24' boat, a little bit of everything. The motor is gonna remain stock. I have no plans for a bigger turbo or any internal work. I'm looking to keep this truck for a long time. What I am looking for is power and better mileage without sacrificing reliabilty.
Here is what I did. Guages. chip and the egts were on the edge. Immediatly did the 4" turbo back, cat delete, intake and dropped the egt's 50+ degrees.

Do gauges intake exh then the chip. Just my $.02. especially if towing & plowing.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I wasn't gonna spend alot of crazy money on an exhaust. I found an AFE 4" turbo back system for $239 shipped or a 5" turbo back for $339. I thought that was very reasonable, but if I don't need it, I would rather spend the money elsewhere.

The stock exhaust with the BTM seems to flow pretty well. I actually get comments on the turbo whistle people hear out of it. The egt's run nice and low now, even pulling the boat. I just want to protect the motor when I chip it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode