Rebuilt Tranny Questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Ram
PSN Newb

Rebuilt Tranny Questions

Ok i basicly blew my tranny up in my truck i lost reverse and 3rd gear and clutches are smoked in it. i was seeing if this was a good way to go or not without spending alot of money

I have a local Tranny performance shop here and they said they will give me a built tranny billet clutches shift kit etc he said quote "all the good stuff" and i have a brand new TC from diesel innovations thats going with it now i wanna know if this will be good if all this stuff is going in it or what the differance is between a tranny is from BTS or something. Oh and where can i get a good secondary tranny cooler..

99 7.3

Mods:
6-Position chip, 4in straight piped exhaust into 5in stacks, Built tranny, DIY Intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:25 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Rebuilt Tranny Questions

Difference...what his warrenty

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Ram
PSN Newb

1 yr warrenty

99 7.3

Mods:
6-Position chip, 4in straight piped exhaust into 5in stacks, Built tranny, DIY Intake

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Buffalo Diesel

What are your power goals?
How long do you plan on owning the truck?

If the stock tranny held up to 200k miles of abuse and he is going to upgrade some common stuff and you're going to have a better TC, then expect at least another 200k out of it and you won't have to use your warranty.

If you're shooting for big power, spend big money. I was in a situation similar to yours, didn't want to spend $4k on a tranny, and needed one NOW... I bought through a local shop, spent $2200 and got a 5 yr warranty. It has held up to over 300hp and a lot of abuse just fine. I'll know if it can handle 500+ next summer, then I may be taking advantage of the warranty.

Up to what you want to do.

2000 F350 CC LB - 250cc 200% - Matt Tuned - 9" Lift - 38" Extreme ATs - Vegistroke
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Why spend that much if not needed? That's expensive bragging rights in my book. If it aint broke..........you know the rest.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
1 yr warrenty
What are his warranty terms? Will he give you a 10 year warranty but the breakdown must occur between 9pm and 11pm on a Mon night?

Problem is you have mods. That is usually the "no-no" when they want to screw you out of a warranty. I know a Ford tech who makes it his mission in life to cancel your warranty if you have mods that he thinks might damage the trans, for instance. Believe me when I say he looks at everything including the chip. Also you have a new TC from somebody else. That can become a problem when you have a warranty issue. At that point, he blames the TC and the TC company blames the trans. You get the shaft because you are in the middle. I usually get the whole package from 1 guy. That way, it is YOUR TC that broke YOUR trans.

How much?

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt View Post
Why spend that much if not needed? That's expensive bragging rights in my book. If it aint broke..........you know the rest.
I guess that depends on how valuable your time is and how the loss of your truck effects your schedule.

If you can afford to chance having your truck grenade the trans again, and being down for a few days, maybe while you're away from home, that 12-1500 dollars may be worth it.

The least expensive route where you know you'll at least get quality pieces would be a Racerx kit, but you'll still be at the mercy of your trans builder for warranty if something fails. Brian dares you to break his when you walk out the door.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
The least expensive route where you know you'll at least get quality pieces would be a Racerx kit, but you'll still be at the mercy of your trans builder for warranty if something fails.
I wouldn't dare to do that since the builder will blame RacerX for his product when it breaks. I have been there, done that. Don't want to do it again. What the builder didn't tell me was that the crap I brought him was pretty much the same as what he sold. Only difference was that because I brought it to him, it was crap.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Village Idiot

Dieselsitehas the secondary trans cooler you asked about.
Easy install

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
PSN Veteran

6.0 cooler is way easier. With the tru-cool unit, it is both an add on and cannot be, AFAIK, bolted on like the 6.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode