DP Tuner vs TS Style - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheres the Spark Plugs?

DP Tuner vs TS Style

So I think after speaking with James at DP for quite some time I have made up my mind but I would like to throw it out to the more knowledgeable fellar's to see if I am missing anything along the way. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a DP Tuner over a TS Style chip or vice versa? I know that Jody is the only tuner that can work with the DP Chip and most everyone reputable can work with the TS Style but are there other concerns I am not aware of? The DP Team seems to be super helpful and have always called me back or responded to emails quickly. I also like the idea of the F6 chip with the end user update ability. What are your experiences? They are both fairly expensive so I just want to make the right choice the first time.

2000 Excursion, Edge CTS, GTP-38R, MBRP Stainless System, S&B Intake, 38" Toyo M/T's, 8" lift, Kodiak Grizzly Steps (THEY SUCK)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Pioneer Z110BT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: DP Tuner vs TS Style

I have had nothing short of great customer service from Jody and my contention is if you get your truck dialed in why would you want to try everyone elses tunes. There are a lot of good tuners out there. Each a little different theory but they will work to get you dialed in. I've had great success with my dp and have no need to jump from tuner to tuner. I have the f5 but it serves my needs. So there is my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 AM
PSN Veteran

I like how dp is more technologically advanced than ts style chips..led light up pad etc..

Some people like trying out differnt tunes just for the heck of it. Some don't.

Comparing apples to apples here

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:51 AM
P.F.F.

Jody and Diane have been good to me also. Nothing but the best customer service.

Go with your instincts.

02 F-250 4X4

96 F-250 4X4
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 AM
Village Idiot

biggest most obvious diff is that jody's chip holds 16 tunes a ts holds 6.
if you run hid's some of the dp chips freak out some radios buzzed...
I am pretty sure jody cured that with a shielded cable though.

remember though every tune or almost every tune comes at a price, almost no one runs all 16 filled, that would cost a bunch.

you can get by with far less. while the burner idea seams great on paper, not everyone will email tunes..matt at gear head said he would not in one post i saw. but in therory, just making up ideas.
you could order a chip from matt, with stock, and tow,get a drive in tune from php, an econo and 100 from swamps, and a race tune from beans.
But once again no one has done that either..or at least posted on it.

personally I can get all the tunes i need out of a 6 pos chip.
I would like to have stock,(1)
I can add a ebpv switch instead of a decel tune.
wisper/ drive in (2) mode seems novel, not sure how well it works but would replace high idle well. I have a ford aic that takes care of high idle.
a tow tune (3) is nice, so add that one .
Milage can be gotten driving easy in a higher tune , plus econo scares the hell-o out of me esp dp's. I dont care if the drivers were to blame or not just too many forged super duty's slinging rods while cruising for me. especially at the power levels and mods they were running. I could be wrong and you can call me paranoid, stupid what have you , I have seen just too many blown motors for that tune to be loaded even if I had a dp chip.

valet could be useful for controling speeds, when I can't control my foot..but cruise control works for that. so skip that ...
figure on adding some kind of medium performance tune like a 100 or 120(4)..diff shift pattern, slightly less smoke on my truck.
finally add an all out performance tune.(5)
so that leaves one open as far as dyno tunes etc, there are simple diy tc switches or ats tranny controllers that can control the tc for that as well.

the f6 is nice that all tunes can be loaded in the truck, assuming you have a laptop, but if you cut your pcm case a bit, a chip can be popped out in seconds and burned one tune at a time as well. the f6 will load easier and faster, but it can be done. ultimately you will, like most users order all your tunes from one vendor, so unless you get pissed off at them you wont be loading multiple tunes from diff vendors, but if you do you wont have to buy a new chip if you run a ts.

my vote is for beans (ts), great service , hp numbers, and track record.
but you will get the same from all vendors including dp.

Take my comments on the 80e tune as a grain of salt..most users do fine with it, and dp has had written tunes for some of the highest hp trucks. But I do not have the spare blocks laying around that some members brag about, just a possible imaginary or very real fear of his 80e tune, he may have changed it may not have needed to. But that is my opinion on it.

Now having said that over all coolness and new technology goes to dp.
flexibility, simple and to the point TS wins.

hope that helps, and does not steer you from dp chip based on me saying his tunes are not safe. imho 99% of them are , and his decel, whisper, high alt etc are great new ideas, and he writes e99 tunes as well something a few tuners don't.

I would talk to all the chip guys, base your purchase on who gets back with you the fastest, and with the answers that make you the happiest.
in my case it was beans.. but DI, DP , Beans, BTS, Php, Gearhead, elite, swamps,and TW etc all write great tunes. other vendors like itp and raul at stealth, and cary handle chips as well and also provide great service so don't rule them out, they can make you a package deal on parts tuners cant.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 AM
PSN Veteran

I get all my stuff from Dennis @ ITP. Great guy and takes care of his customers. He's also local for me and that helps.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southmike View Post
biggest most obvious diff is that jody's chip holds 16 tunes a ts holds 6.
if you run hid's some of the dp chips freak out some radios buzzed...
I am pretty sure jody cured that with a shielded cable though.

remember though every tune or almost every tune comes at a price, almost no one runs all 16 filled, that would cost a bunch.

you can get by with far less. while the burner idea seams great on paper, not everyone will email tunes..matt at gear head said he would not in one post i saw. but in therory, just making up ideas.
you could order a chip from matt, with stock, and tow,get a drive in tune from php, an econo and 100 from swamps, and a race tune from beans.
But once again no one has done that either..or at least posted on it.

personally I can get all the tunes i need out of a 6 pos chip.
I would like to have stock,(1)
I can add a ebpv switch instead of a decel tune.
wisper/ drive in (2) mode seems novel, not sure how well it works but would replace high idle well. I have a ford aic that takes care of high idle.
a tow tune (3) is nice, so add that one .
Milage can be gotten driving easy in a higher tune , plus econo scares the hell-o out of me esp dp's. I dont care if the drivers were to blame or not just too many forged super duty's slinging rods while cruising for me. especially at the power levels and mods they were running. I could be wrong and you can call me paranoid, stupid what have you , I have seen just too many blown motors for that tune to be loaded even if I had a dp chip.

valet could be useful for controling speeds, when I can't control my foot..but cruise control works for that. so skip that ...
figure on adding some kind of medium performance tune like a 100 or 120(4)..diff shift pattern, slightly less smoke on my truck.
finally add an all out performance tune.(5)
so that leaves one open as far as dyno tunes etc, there are simple diy tc switches or ats tranny controllers that can control the tc for that as well.

the f6 is nice that all tunes can be loaded in the truck, assuming you have a laptop, but if you cut your pcm case a bit, a chip can be popped out in seconds and burned one tune at a time as well. the f6 will load easier and faster, but it can be done. ultimately you will, like most users order all your tunes from one vendor, so unless you get pissed off at them you wont be loading multiple tunes from diff vendors, but if you do you wont have to buy a new chip if you run a ts.

my vote is for beans (ts), great service , hp numbers, and track record.
but you will get the same from all vendors including dp.

Take my comments on the 80e tune as a grain of salt..most users do fine with it, and dp has had written tunes for some of the highest hp trucks. But I do not have the spare blocks laying around that some members brag about, just a possible imaginary or very real fear of his 80e tune, he may have changed it may not have needed to. But that is my opinion on it.

Now having said that over all coolness and new technology goes to dp.
flexibility, simple and to the point TS wins.

hope that helps, and does not steer you from dp chip based on me saying his tunes are not safe. imho 99% of them are , and his decel, whisper, high alt etc are great new ideas, and he writes e99 tunes as well something a few tuners don't.

I would talk to all the chip guys, base your purchase on who gets back with you the fastest, and with the answers that make you the happiest.
in my case it was beans.. but DI, DP , Beans, BTS, Php, Gearhead, elite, swamps,and TW etc all write great tunes. other vendors like itp and raul at stealth, and cary handle chips as well and also provide great service so don't rule them out, they can make you a package deal on parts tuners cant.
That right there is prolly one of the best posts that has been done in one of these DP and TS chip threads.

02 f250
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:24 AM
PSN Veteran

He gets into it. He brought up a few things I had not thought of. It was good.

Glen
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:26 AM
PSN Veteran

Wow!! Amazing post man. Very well stated points in there.

Seems like you've thought that one over a few times

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheres the Spark Plugs?

What is the fear involved with the 80HP Economy Tune? Your the first person I've heard mention a concern about this. Also, thank all you guys for all the info you offer to those of us that are learning as we go. I've been racing a long time and can do about anything you want with a small or big block chevy but this 7.3 is a beast of a different breed. Learning as fast as I can but I see it sure is expensive to make mistakes on this guy.

2000 Excursion, Edge CTS, GTP-38R, MBRP Stainless System, S&B Intake, 38" Toyo M/T's, 8" lift, Kodiak Grizzly Steps (THEY SUCK)
, Pioneer Z110BT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode