Intercooler Recommendations - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Wheres the Spark Plugs?

Intercooler Recommendations

I am looking to swap to a better intercooler to hopefully put EGT's down for good. I was considering either the Banks (wow, is it made of gold???) or the ATS. Is there a better more affordable option I haven't found yet?

2000 Excursion, Edge CTS, GTP-38R, MBRP Stainless System, S&B Intake, 38" Toyo M/T's, 8" lift, Kodiak Grizzly Steps (THEY SUCK)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Pioneer Z110BT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:43 AM
PSN Local

Re: Intercooler Recommendations

Spearco...pricey though.

Maybe look into your tuning to manage temps.

TOTALLED 1995 F-250
ISSPro, Grand Rock, DPP, DLC Diesel Performance, Total Diesel Performance, ATS, and a tired TTB.

1997 F-250
Precision Industries, Full Force Diesel, Beans Diesel Performance, DLC Diesel Performance, Banks Power, Aeromotive, Terminator Engineering, Gearhead Automotive, SuperLift, Bilstein, and a Dana 60
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 AM
PSN Local

Banks or spearco. Beleive it or not the banks intercooler is actually one of the best qualitly and performing intercooler's.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 AM
Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Raul@stealth-automotive

spearco makes a damn nice IC... but banks is also good

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:53 AM
PSN Pretender

I have the banks, it is a very nice piece and fits well. Dont really know how much charge air temps dropped though.

In all honesty I do not think they are any more expensive than other reputable brands, and they do include new piping which the others dont.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:06 AM
PSN Veteran

I would first be wanting to know how high your EGTS are and what is causing it as you are likely treating the symptoms of something else. Unless you are wanting to jsut get them down even lower than what is the norm. Water inject is another option and offers more benefits as cheaper to boot. There are guys on here running fairly big HP number as still on stock intercoolers. IMO a intercooler upgrade is the the least bang for your buck of performance upgrades. Many other things you can spend $1K + on that will have a much bigger effect. As intercooler go I would choose DI, Spearco, Hypermax.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor

We have a Banks as well as a custom made intercooler that I personally run in my truck.

Both work very well.

2002 Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4 SRW, Twin turbos
820 HP on 05/19/12

Toll Free 866-379-8685
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:13 PM
PSN Local

I'am thinking of puttin a new intercooler in mine also i think banks has a really nice one just remember u get what u pay for i think the banks is worth the money
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

If you want to get the biggest and best...

Hypermax...

Really, it is the largest and highest flowing one on the market.

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARM View Post
I would first be wanting to know how high your EGTS are and what is causing it as you are likely treating the symptoms of something else. Unless you are wanting to jsut get them down even lower than what is the norm. Water inject is another option and offers more benefits as cheaper to boot. There are guys on here running fairly big HP number as still on stock intercoolers. IMO a intercooler upgrade is the the least bang for your buck of performance upgrades. Many other things you can spend $1K + on that will have a much bigger effect. As intercooler go I would choose DI, Spearco, Hypermax.
I second this. An after market inter cooler will drop temps a little but I question what is going on with a stock truck to get your temps so high to begin with.

What is a 38r with high flow outlet? Is that a 1.15 outlet?

Unless you know for sure that your stock one is shot, I wouldn't spend the $1400.00 on this.

Send that edge to Bill at PHP and get him to put some better tunes on it. That will do more to drop your temps than a new Inter-cooler IMO.

Have you scanned your truck and Is your HPOP healthy?

If you decide to get a new inter-cooler, I have a Banks Inter-cooler and I like the quality of it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001 F-550 4X4 Lariat
BTS Tranny
PHP Phoenix chip
H2E Turbo With WW II
Adrenalin
Banks Intercooler and exhaust
In tank and pre-pump mods
Numerous minor Mods

Other Diesels
08 GL 320 CDI
02 VW Golf TDI
3054 Kioti Tractor
Kubota ZD 323

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode