Another turbo thread. haha - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Death Row Inmate #7

Another turbo thread. haha

Hey guys. i have been looking around trying to decide on what turbo i want to run when i build my engine, but just cant seem to make a decision. i have decided i will be running 300/400's in it. i'm going to build the engine w/ girdle, rods, pistons, etc. and will be drag racing with it along with a little bit of street time, not daily driving. so with all that said i will be keeping the manual tranny and possibly using a procharger to help light the turbo up since i have a manual tranny. i have thought of using like a gt42 or 45, s400, sledghammer, K31, etc. then i ran across an HT3B and an HX55 today. anybody know specs on these turbos or how they would perform on my build? i think they were both set up as twins on someones dodge and i found them on CL. haha. anything y'all can teach me on choosing a turbo for a given injector and stuff will be much appreciated. thanks!!!

Travis
1995 F-250 SC 2wd zf-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:02 AM
WWDD

Re: Another turbo thread. haha

HT3b is about 76mm, i think an HT4B would be better for a twin/supercharger set up ht4b is 82mm i think. hx55 is smaller than a 3b i think... gt45 would work, i would stay journal bearing to save money... there is my side, ill let others chime in.

couple trucks one fast one not
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Not Winning.

since you mention using a procharger i dont know how much info people will have as far as sizing a turbo. not many people have done it so it might be trial and error and see which setup works best

Cooper
04 6.0 CCSB fx4
08 6.4 CCSB 4x4

Special thanks to:
Logan Schneider at CenTex Diesel Performance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

830-885-6500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroked162 View Post
Lets be honest here, how many times have you been on the receiving end of a "Cleveland Steamer"?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Death Row Inmate #7

Well i figure since the prochargers are being run on smaller turbos like Dannys stock charger and rockrunners 38R then it would probably help get the ball rolling til the turbo will light since i'm running with a manual trans. haha. i will probably go with the F-1A procharger. what size is the GT45??? i have heard that the gt42's and 45's are quite expensive turbos compared to some others like S400's, but i don't know for sure as i haven't bought either one. haha. thanks so far guys. i should also say that the HT3B i found has a 26cm turbine housing.

Travis
1995 F-250 SC 2wd zf-5
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 04:09 PM
WWDD

they are a little pricy thats why i suggested journal bearing, they are abou 1200 bucks i think, as oposed to 2100 for ball bearing. Borg warner turbos with HTT should be a good turbo for you.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Death Row Inmate #7

with HTT??? huh? sorry don't no all the turbo lingo quite yet. haha. My main concern is having a turbo that will spool up easily enough with a manual trans to run it down the strip just for fun. i won't be very competitive, but it will be fun to be able to go play every now and then with it. anyways thats why i wanted to use procharger b/c i have seen some twin setups on some manual trucks that take a little while to spool after a shift.

Travis
1995 F-250 SC 2wd zf-5
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
PSN Veteran

If you are going thru all this trouble and considerable cash outlay to build a basically dedicated strip truck why woudl you handicap it by staying with a manual tranny? You will not be towing and DD you say will be very minimal? You are setting yourself up with such a big handicap IMO.

On the PC as I understand it at a minimum the PC needs to be able to flow more than the turbo can so it will not choke the turbo. You also need to take into account how they build boost; load versus RPM. I think best thing you can do if you are serious about this is give Empire a call before you start buying anything and have them help you choose a proper match up that will achieve your goals. An F1-a flows 1650 cfm A GT45 would be right at that or likely a bit more so I would think you will be needing different pulleys such as with the F1-C or R. This is all guess work on my part. Really need to talk to them in getting a correct match up. The Gt45 may not even be the best choice for turbos.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Death Row Inmate #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARM View Post
If you are going thru all this trouble and considerable cash outlay to build a basically dedicated strip truck why woudl you handicap it by staying with a manual tranny? You will not be towing and DD you say will be very minimal? You are setting yourself up with such a big handicap IMO.

On the PC as I understand it at a minimum the PC needs to be able to flow more than the turbo can so it will not choke the turbo. You also need to take into account how they build boost; load versus RPM. I think best thing you can do if you are serious about this is give Empire a call before you start buying anything and have them help you choose a proper match up that will achieve your goals. An F1-a flows 1650 cfm A GT45 would be right at that or likely a bit more so I would think you will be needing different pulleys such as with the F1-C or R. This is all guess work on my part. Really need to talk to them in getting a correct match up. The Gt45 may not even be the best choice for turbos.
why am i keeping a manual tranny??? Simply b/c i want to keep the manual and i despise automatic trannies. i like the fact that it takes more skill to pull a decent time out of my truck b/c it has 2 handicaps. its 2wd and its a 5 speed. Nobody will talk me into an auto swap, so i will throw some slicks on the back, launch in 3rd and shift twice. haha. just my personal preference, but if i wanted to really compete i would put a BTS in it. heck if it will hold together decently i will probably drive it around more than i think i will. haha.

i may call empire at some point, but i don't want to waste their time if i'm not going to be buying at the point of contact. what size turbos are ppl usually using for 300/400's with their autos? wasn't marty using an S475? so i could probably get away with something like that, but with a procharger in front of it? haha. thanks again guys. looking like a call to empire may be neccessary. LoL

Travis
1995 F-250 SC 2wd zf-5
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 AM
WWDD

marty was running an s475, you could run nitrous to help keep the turbo lit, a guy i was racing with ran a 50 hp shot just to keep the turbo lit during shifts.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 AM
PSN Veteran

What is your actual HP goal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode