Post Fuel Pump Filter? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Post Fuel Pump Filter?

Is there an after market post fuel pump filter out there besides the stock one? One that wont require a lot of hacking and cutting.(I guess thats asking for too much!!) I am currently running an Air Dog 150 to a Walbro into my stock bowl. Lately I have been fighting with oil system o-rings as well as fuel bowl o-rings and that darn fuel bowl is a PITA!!! Always in the way of things. I already have my fuel water seperation and the stock one is just extra I guess. So what could I do? If I do ITPs RR I can do the filter bowl delete but I lose my last chance of filtering before the injectors. Ideas...suggestions?

2002 F-250 Lariat
Im Dan,my tranny hates me no more!!"
AFE Stage 2
Power Hungry Perfomance Custom 6 Pos chip
Suncoast tranny
Isspro Boost,Tranny and EGT
H2E
Air Dog 150
Adrenaline HPOP
6.0L Tranny Cooler
FS-2500
Fluidampr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:01 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Post Fuel Pump Filter?

I cant be too hard on you because i want everything free and easy....

Back to stock for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800joedaddy View Post
It's one thing to get cornholed... its another to pay for the cornholing!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I'm all about things being easy but I know it all comes at a price!

2002 F-250 Lariat
AFE Stage 2
Suncoast tranny
H2E
Air Dog 150
Adrenaline HPOP
6.0L Tranny Cooler
FS-2500
Fluidampr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 AM
PSN Veteran

I wouldn't run it without a post pump filter. You can just get a base and run new lines up to the motor and go to 3/8"s or bigger while your at it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 AM
PSN Veteran

Here is what I woudl suggest but I defer to those with more experince:

I see you have the Air dog 150 and also a Walbro.

The air dog 150 is good at removing air although IIRC the 100 model actually does a better job of that from what I understand but a smaller pump. Regardless you have the air removal. The issue is the air dogs actually are quite sub par at removing water from the fuel. It does a decent job at removing solids but the filters it uses at that stated max flow rates are way over taxed. The later is likely not an issue at your power levels. You also should always have a filter after your last pump before your injectors. I will post info on the air dog and other filters at the bottom

What I think the goal given what you already have is to design the system so that you get the most from everything and protect those injectors as that is a $2500 investment to replace.

Most fuel water separators are vaccum or suction side filters and not meant to deal with head pressure. Given this:

I would put a water fuel sep between the tank and your air dog. Then the final fuel filters between the walbro and the heads. Delete the fuel bowl as you are having issue with it any ways and they can tend to be a PITA and take up needless from. Get a ITP kit of DIY. For ease of changing out the filters and preventing drain back you can install a check valve right after each of the two filters you add. ADD a Aeromotive or Fuelab regulator. You can run a tube from to the map to adj fuel PSI based on boost 45 min 65 max. Then run into the return and you have a complete Reg Return as well.

Unless you add a good amount of power which your PMRs likely prevent you can likely get way without upgrading the fuel line size as you already said you do not want to be cutting and what not.

About the Air Dogs 100 and 150 I pulled up the filters used specs from a couple of sites:

The FS19768 which is the fuel water sep filter on the airdog models is not rated to remove any emulsified water and its only rated at 50% for free water. It also only has a solids filtering abilty of 140 microns. The thing that got me was the water separation performance. Compare that to the commonly use BF1212 (fuel water sep) 20 microns absolute, average efficiency of 86.34%, Water stripping: 97-99% free water, 92-95% emulsified water. And it has a dirt holding capacity of 35.9 grams, 579.0 sq in of filtration media, and a flow rating of 210gph that to of either of the AirDog.
the other ting I have not figured out is the ther filter the Air Do units use as their second fine filter is the FF5613. They state it as a 3 micron filter, but its really a 5 micron filter. absolute at 5 microns, 94% at 2 microns. With a flow rating of 59.97 GPH. If the Air dogs really do flow 100 and 150 GPH respectively they are pushing these filters well past their stated flow capacities.

Based on this I do not believe the Air Dogs meet the water remove minimum rating for diesel motors. I certainly would not rely on it.

For the fuel / water separator I would run a BF 1212 or FS 1212. I prefer to run Baldwin filters as they have a thicker casing than the other filter manf filters. They also have very good specs and can usually be found at most truck stops if on the road.

For the fuel filter post pump before the heads I would add a filter such as the BF7633, FS5320, CAT1R0750, or Donaldson P5513132. Also the Wix/NAPA equivalents. Pick up two 1-14 filter bases. Wix/NAPA has some low cost choices such as the 24770/4770.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 AM
owner/president

Send a message via MSN to dixieland-diesels

Nice info TARM.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:38 PM
PSN Veteran

Thing I am interested in is the effects of using filters rated are greatly lower flow rates that the max flow rating of the setup. I also wonder if this is part of the reason the 150 may not remove air as effectively as the 100 as the situation is only made worse.

The one filter is only rated to flow close to 40% the rate the system is rated for and the other is rated way down at not quite 20 gph from what I have read. I honestly was thinking it was a mis-post and it should have read gpm but I have seen it posted in other places. I would be interested in what Pure Flow has to say on this.

At this point on my setup I am building I am going with sump -Dahl 150- pumps-fs7633. I would like to add a airdog or a DIY version if possible.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

TARM!! Excellent write up my friend!! I should have wrote in my first post but I ditched the pureflow filters that came with it for some fleetguard filters as well as a fleetguard fuel water seperator. Im running the FS19594 W/S, and the FF5613 as the filter. I read that the OE AD F/W seperator is 50% free and 0% emulsified water removal at 20GPH, so the FS19594 is a good improvement over the one it came with and the filter is a little improvement. My goal in the beginning was to make the truck as reliable and efficient as possible. Since my money tree STILL hasnt started growing yet I decided to do things to the truck that will make it last longer. Power is not really high on my list because 1, compliments of my PMRs, and 2, its just too darn expensive!!! Maybe in the future but till then its all about making it last!!

2002 F-250 Lariat
AFE Stage 2
Suncoast tranny
H2E
Air Dog 150
Adrenaline HPOP
6.0L Tranny Cooler
FS-2500
Fluidampr

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Village Idiot

interesting point on water separation i did not know.
In my mind ideally you get a new pickup, water separator, airdog, to a pump,
to a filter around the floor board firewall maybe, that would be a heated element 2~3 micron filter . then to a regulated return back to the tank via a 3/8 return, only I would add a fuel cooler to that.

I have seen every thing from large spinoffs to simple inline filters for the 2~3 micron filters. one thing to think about is make sure they are bio diesel compatable orings..many states seem to be adding b20 etc in..something old orings and some new ones don't like .

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALADASH View Post
TARM!! Excellent write up my friend!! I should have wrote in my first post but I ditched the pureflow filters that came with it for some fleetguard filters as well as a fleetguard fuel water seperator. Im running the FS19594 W/S, and the FF5613 as the filter. I read that the OE AD F/W seperator is 50% free and 0% emulsified water removal at 20GPH, so the FS19594 is a good improvement over the one it came with and the filter is a little improvement. My goal in the beginning was to make the truck as reliable and efficient as possible. Since my money tree STILL hasnt started growing yet I decided to do things to the truck that will make it last longer. Power is not really high on my list because 1, compliments of my PMRs, and 2, its just too darn expensive!!! Maybe in the future but till then its all about making it last!!
I could tell from you list you went the reliability route which I think is best to do first imo. First thing I alwasy do when I get a new/used vehicle if I plan to keep the powertrain: Change out ALL the fluids over to synthetic Schaefers for me. Including pumping out the brake and power steering systems. Coolant flush. Add bypass oil and coolant filters. Put external filters on the tranny, power steering. On diesel I do the fuel spin on sep fuel filters. I am actually adding a pre oilers to this engine as its still fairly low in miles to see how I like it for start ups.

Then I go to performance upgrades.

I am actually planning on swapping my DIY oil bypass for a fs-2500. I have been impressed with the performance I have seen from them. How do you like yours?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode