I just lost my 7.3!!! time to rebuild. Opinions? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Question I just lost my 7.3!!! time to rebuild. Opinions?

Well I just lost my 7.3 after 143xxx miles A little premature but what can I do now. I have pulled the drivers side head after replacing the hpop and injector on the number 2 cylinder with no cures for my miss in the engine. Once I did that I was very disappointed to find a crack in the piston and a big hole right in the center. 3 of the 4 pistons have small cracks in them and the cylinder with the hole has a small scratch going down the cylinder wall. My question for you guys is do I just replace my components with stock replacements or upgrade. The local machine shop here in utah county wants 1050 just for pistons, rings, bearings and the crank polished/checked. Any opinions on other sources and what machining I should get done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: I just lost my 7.3!!! time to rebuild. Opinions?

Here are some pics99 stroker.jpg

Feb13_0002.jpg
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 02:25 AM
OverFuelingForYourPlesure

that sucks, what year is your truck and what mods have you done to it. this may be the time to upgrade to forged rods if your truck is new enough to have PMR's
also what are your future plans for the truck.

Ross
2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1996 f350, stock bottom end! swamps 400/400% injectors, swamps BFH turbo, swamps IDM, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, springs, studs, tubes, fuel system, water to air cooler, and much more...

-97 f350 4x4 CCLB tow rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:18 AM
PSN Veteran

If you have the money to do it and plan on adding power do it right. AT the very min get the cryo Forged rods from WOP better yet if you have the $$ get Hypermax Rod as I have seen those handle a few blocks letting go and still be GTG.

Question:

What injectors, if not stock, and Chip/tunes, if any, had you been running?

You said this was not only one piston but a number of them with cracks found in them, correct? That would mean this was not a instance of one injector gone bad and dumping to much fuel and burning thru the piston. Have you settled on a cause yet?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 AM
PSN Veteran

take it to wide open performance

2008 F-250 FX4 cc,4x4

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Need a ride.

Sorry to hear, unless there was some performance enhancing mods and alot of foot action, thats not a whole lot of miles at all. Subscribing.

03 F-250 7.3 XLT CC SB Auto 38R, S-B Intake, 4 inch MBRP Duals, Regulated Return, J Wood VB, DP Tuner, Isspros 3 Pillar, Terminator Scan Gauge, DS Coolant Filter, HPX
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I know nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokerstooge View Post
Sorry to hear, unless there was some performance enhancing mods and alot of foot action, thats not a whole lot of miles at all. Subscribing.
Were you driving it in the highest setting everyday?
Also is that a dent in the 5 o'clock position of the outer edge of the dish? You may want to look at the turbo for some missing pieces as well. Cracks and scratch could mean foreign object.

Doesn't roll with anyone or tag along to be cool...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

I would also suggest that you consider Wide Open Performance.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the response guys. I am working on getting my signature up but am struggling a little. This is my first post so we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacross View Post
that sucks, what year is your truck and what mods have you done to it. this may be the time to upgrade to forged rods if your truck is new enough to have PMR's
also what are your future plans for the truck.
The truck is a late 99 with an edge 3 stage chip, 5" exhaust, afe intake, rebuilt stock injectors, bts trans, lift, wheels/tires and a few appearance mods. I

I had the chip set at the maximum setting when it went down. I was pulling up a steep grade with my brothers 6.5 diesel powered ec lb 3/4 ton truck in tow behind me. I started spewing oil everywher so we pulled over at the top and My hpop had blown the line seal at the upper hose. I had my trucked towed to my small shop where I replaced the pump with a new upgraded unit. After i was done I took the truck out and it ran very poor. I was told i just had to bleed the air out of the pump so I drove it really hard for a few miles(15-20). It didf not help so I ran a buzz test that showed everything good on that side. I then did a contribution test and found number 2 cyl. down. I replaced the injector hoping for the best. once again no avail so i did a compression check which failed as well so i pulled the head to find this. The exhaust temps were all in good range when it went down. I think it was some of the abuse the motor had gone through before this pull that put her out when i made the tug up the grade.
I use my truck to haul old cars and trucks as well as a camper and such. It has served me well up until now. I will definitely check out wop for those upgraded parts. I don't mind spending the money now to help my truck stay on the road. I don't see the truck's life getting any easier down the road so I want it beefed up pretty good.

late 99 SC-LB, php 6 position tc chip, 5" exhaust, afe intake, BTS transmissiion, gillette diesel rebuilt injectors, 4.5" lift, 38/15.5r20 toyo open countries, 4.11 gearing, 05 harley headlight conversion and some appearance mods..
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:20 PM
MINK

talk to some of the big shops like wideopen,beans, swamps and they will help you build the motor to suit your needs

Josh Mink
CAMB MOTORSPORTS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode