Will too much fuel pressure hurt injectors? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
A Ghost these days...

Will too much fuel pressure hurt injectors?

Im concerned about my fuel pressure. Its running about 90 at idle. I've got a fuelab pump running to the bowl. I totally drilled out the stock regulator, and im using the stock 3/8" fuel line as the return. And its still keeping this much pressure. I need a regulated return BAD. Is this gonna damage my injectors in the long run? Fuelab is running cool as can be.

Also, im seeing 90psi at the bowl, but would there be a pressure loss between there and the fuel rail, since im running stock lines from the bowl to the heads?

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

Rockin' Out with some help from: Alpine / Rockford Fosgate / Memphis / Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred
Re: Will too much fuel pressure hurt injectors?

You're concerned? You're running a stock fuel system with a Fuelab, think about how much additional flow you have over the stock pump, that is why the pressure is so high!

I'd be concerned you are going to burn up the pump, just because it's not hot, doesn't mean it's happy. What do you have the pump speed set at? Do you at least have a 1/2" line from the outlet of the pump to the motor?

Will it hurt the injectors, probably not. I'm willing to bet you've got a good amount of pressure drop trying to push fuel through the stock lines to the heads and the little end passages in the heads when you get on it.

You're right on needing a regulated return, and a bowl delete, and hopefully you already have some spin on filters underneath. A Fuelab is not a drop-in replacement like a Walbro.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:19 PM
dinnerbooter treasurer

I know my Fuelab was not happy when I had the complete fuel system but used the stock return line. I bumped up to a 3/8's return line and it was happy.

93 F350 Gasser
03 F250 6.0

dinnerbooter #3

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
A Ghost these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
You're concerned? You're running a stock fuel system with a Fuelab, think about how much additional flow you have over the stock pump, that is why the pressure is so high!

I'd be concerned you are going to burn up the pump, just because it's not hot, doesn't mean it's happy. What do you have the pump speed set at? Do you at least have a 1/2" line from the outlet of the pump to the motor?

Will it hurt the injectors, probably not. I'm willing to bet you've got a good amount of pressure drop trying to push fuel through the stock lines to the heads and the little end passages in the heads when you get on it.

You're right on needing a regulated return, and a bowl delete, and hopefully you already have some spin on filters underneath. A Fuelab is not a drop-in replacement like a Walbro.

Dave
I wasn't prepared for the fuelab. Stock SD pump burn up, threw on a walbro to get me by. Walbro lasted 1 day. So I went with a fuelab. I didn't want to keep buying pumps. Yes, I have a bigger line going from the pump to the bowl. Only regulation on the return in the 3/8" return line leaving the bowl.

Im ordering all my stuff to do a regulated return right now from jegs. I was just hoping I could skate by for a short time, but Ill just do it right. Thanks.

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...

Why not order up from one of the 20-30 vendors that sponser on the site you just asked the question on?

[CENTER]01 F-250 SC PSD,430k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Hydra chip, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Why not order up from one of the 20-30 vendors that sponser on the site you just asked the question on?
DI has a complete RR system for like $450

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:19 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_stroker View Post
DI has a complete RR system for like $450
And that would be a good time to get the special fittings Dave has to feed from the rear of the heads, so the injectors can get real fuel flow!

Oh and get a fuel cooler too, very good idea.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
A Ghost these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
$150 is alot of money. It wouldn't be a direct bolt on kit since im using a different fuel inlet, and return set-up. I would have to source some extra parts anyways. Mine as well build it like I want.

This is my second one to do, it will be better than the one on my old truck.

And I do order most of my stuff from the PSN vendors.

Ive bought from many of them. MOST of my stuff is sourced from them.

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 PM
PSN Veteran

why the new truck man? i loved your old one!

05 f350 CCLB 4x4 delete and sct x4 thanks to innovative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmokey View Post
Sh*t in a box (litterally) and write "Will give you 200+ hp, just add to your fuel" on the box and give it to him. Then ask him if he still believe's everything thats written on a box...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce51d View Post
if you can blow up a 7.3 just imagaine what you would do to a 6.0
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
A Ghost these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvillaoftn View Post
why the new truck man? i loved your old one!
I had the opportunity to buy my dads ext cab so I jumped on it. Im loving the extra room.

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode