Chip vs Programmer - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
White lightnin'

Chip vs Programmer

I'm new here and I would like to know what would be better for my truck which is a stock 2wd 2003 F250 7.3 with 337,000 miles and a 4R100 automatic. Which would be cheaper a chip or programmer? Which would build more power? Just looking for some opinions here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:15 AM
PSN Local

Re: Chip vs Programmer

Custom tunes on a chip, something mildly tuned i would think having that many miles.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 AM
I like turtles

Chip by far. No unloading or loading tunes. Just turn a knob to go from towing to all power.

08 duramax ccsb efi live, air dog 2, isspros, 5 inch exhaust and some other cool things. 2001 duramax 2wd (Project truck)
Once had a signature that had some bad ass stuff on it. Now its back to crap.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE-STROKE View Post
Chip by far. No unloading or loading tunes. Just turn a knob to go from towing to all power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 F-250 FX4 cc,4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 AM
owner/president

Send a message via MSN to dixieland-diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall99 View Post
I'm new here and I would like to know what would be better for my truck which is a stock 2wd 2003 F250 7.3 with 337,000 miles and a 4R100 automatic. Which would be cheaper a chip or programmer? Which would build more power? Just looking for some opinions here.
You all aint answering the OP's question.A programer would be cheaper and alittle more simpler,but fer over all performance a chip is the only way to go for a 7.3L.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Butt-Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieland-diesels View Post
You all aint answering the OP's question.A programer would be cheaper and alittle more simpler,but fer over all performance a chip is the only way to go for a 7.3L.
I beg to differ.

Most programmers will run you along the lines of $425-$600 depending on what brand it is (unless it is bought used).

Some vendors will sell a chip with 3-6 tunes for around $400.

Cody
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:29 AM
I like turtles

TS chip on ebay for like 225 buy it now. If your wanting cheap. If you wanna do it right the first time go throught one of site sponsers. maybe Matt with Gearhead?

08 duramax ccsb efi live, air dog 2, isspros, 5 inch exhaust and some other cool things. 2001 duramax 2wd (Project truck)
Once had a signature that had some bad ass stuff on it. Now its back to crap.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:35 AM
owner/president

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I beg to differ.

Most programmers will run you along the lines of $425-$600 depending on what brand it is (unless it is bought used).

I have about 4,7.3 progammers here on the shelf i would sell for less than $250 some evan have custom tunes.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:38 AM
owner/president

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I beg to differ.

I think you need to re-read my post....Since you seem to know it all....

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:42 AM
PSN Veteran

Tuner with custom tunes for your truck considering the milage would be a lot safer. Most programmers are in the $400 range and a tuner such as a dp with a few mild tunes won't cost much more. Just wait till you have the $$$$ and get a tuner from someone on here, you'll be glad you did down the road. Just make sure to give them as much info as you can including the milage. Just my $.02

Make sure to get guages first!!!!

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode