What is involved - compounds - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Back in Black

What is involved - compounds

Well i have a feeling i am going to get bashed on for posting this, but i am interested, and my new s480 needs some help. it pulls like crazy after 2600rpm but anything before that and its a pig.

My mods are in my sig, I am thinking maybe upgrade my injectors this spring but dont think that will cure my lag.

What all is involved with running compounds? i want to use my s480 as my big turbo, is a 38r too small? cann it be bb if my large turbo is jb? does it HAVE to be wastegated? any help is very appriciated. what is a realistic cost if i already have the big turbo and can make my own IC piping?

can someone explain the route of the air? intake all the way to the exhaust of the big turbo?

Thanks,

Kenny brady

2009 F-250 ccsb black/black

Lowered 4400lb spring, 20x10 MM962, Nitto 420, traction bars, 5" exhaust 7" MBRP black stack, SCT - Innovative tunes, IDP cold side IC pipe, MPD trans. Blacked outtttt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 12:06 AM
PSN Local

Re: What is involved - compounds

Im new to the compound stuff too. a drawing of air flow through the two turbos would be great i think.

2000 F-250 factory forged, six speed, 6" lift 37's on 20's, DP f-6,
post #3 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 12:09 AM
PSN Veteran

Why not look at going with a modded S300 to go with it? I would seriously give Zane at WOP a call. They work with [email protected] Bell and from what I have seen he is a master at building and setting up compounds and you will find no one better than WOP to fab it all up. That is who setup Blowbys compounds.

I have been wondering how well matched the WOP GQSSB and KASB would be for compounds.

post #4 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 12:37 AM
PSN Local

Just bite the bullet and buy a new Garret gt42r. You can have that set up done on a weekend and be done with it. Thats my answer cuz I dont savvy compounds

2000 F250 4x4. Full motor build from SWAMPS.. Bcode injectors, gt42 turbo and all the other crap that goes with it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 12:40 AM
HRT Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroken View Post
Well i have a feeling i am going to get bashed on for posting this, but i am interested, and my new s480 needs some help. it pulls like crazy after 2600rpm but anything before that and its a pig.

My mods are in my sig, I am thinking maybe upgrade my injectors this spring but dont think that will cure my lag.

What all is involved with running compounds? i want to use my s480 as my big turbo, is a 38r too small? cann it be bb if my large turbo is jb? does it HAVE to be wastegated? any help is very appriciated. what is a realistic cost if i already have the big turbo and can make my own IC piping?

can someone explain the route of the air? intake all the way to the exhaust of the big turbo?

Thanks,

Kenny brady
I don't have to say "I told you so..." because you know it now.

How about some specs on your S480 to help you out?

I am pretty sure a properly spec'd S465 combined with an external wastegate on each charger for control would be a good start for a nice compound setup.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Back in Black

I know you told me, i had tosses compounds around in my head a while and i just couldnt see how the s476 like you stated would be enough.....

my turbo is an s480/82, with a 1.0 housing that will be upraded to a 1.32 or 1.5 housing if i do compounds, has a t4i foot on it.

Im not sure on the small turbo, i was thinking a 38r bc it would spool quick and i could use my stock uppipes and pedistal for a mount, i wouldnt have to buy a whole new mount.

How does mounting the secondary turbo work? can i use the parts from my h2e mount?

i tried the search but didnt find many answers to my questions, just the same things repepted over again, everyone wanting to do it but noone went though.

Lowered 4400lb spring, 20x10 MM962, Nitto 420, traction bars, 5" exhaust 7" MBRP black stack, SCT - Innovative tunes, IDP cold side IC pipe, MPD trans. Blacked outtttt
post #7 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 AM
HRT Performance

Quote:
I know you told me, i had tosses compounds around in my head a while and i just couldnt see how the s476 like you stated would be enough.....

my turbo is an s480/82, with a 1.0 housing that will be upraded to a 1.32 or 1.5 housing if i do compounds, has a t4i foot on it.

Im not sure on the small turbo, i was thinking a 38r bc it would spool quick and i could use my stock uppipes and pedistal for a mount, i wouldnt have to buy a whole new mount.

How does mounting the secondary turbo work? can i use the parts from my h2e mount?

i tried the search but didnt find many answers to my questions, just the same things repepted over again, everyone wanting to do it but noone went though.
Buy an S465/82 and you can use the 1.0 T4i housing that you currently have and drive the truck. A backpressure gauge will tell you how hard you can push it.

You need to add in a wastegate for control. There aren't many options for this that I am aware of, but I am building a adapter that goes between the mount and the turbo housing for a wastegate on an H2E turbo right now - basically rotating the housing around so it leaves the turbine outlet in the same location - but since its not built it might not work. I would get the 1.32 or the 1.50 T6 foot for your S480 and make sure you wastegate it as well. For that I would use one of Engineered Diesels wastegate adapters for cleanliness.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

post #8 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Back in Black

use the housing off my 80 on the new turbo and use that as a little turbo and use my 80 with a new 1.5 housing as the big turbo? that seems right, how much do wastegates cost? how would i make a mount for the turbo that will sit behind the headlight?

post #9 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:14 AM
HRT Performance

Quote:
use the housing off my 80 on the new turbo and use that as a little turbo and use my 80 with a new 1.5 housing as the big turbo? that seems right, how much do wastegates cost? how would i make a mount for the turbo that will sit behind the headlight?
Wastegates run $500-1000 range depending on what you buy. There are lots of different options for gates.

I would build a mount that goes underneath the AC pump - and has a t6 foot on the turbo side - then has another t6 foot or vband on the opposite side - then route the exhaust pipe from the high pressure turbo to this mount. That way you can pop the intermediate pipe off and get to your valve covers without pulling the big turbo.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

post #10 of 129 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:18 AM
HRT Performance

I should add that if starting from scratch and sizing compounds I probably wouldn't have sized the S480 with the 82mm turbine - but it should work with some tuning. I would wastegate the small turbo and dump it right to the exhaust. Don't run it to the atmosphere charger.

All this is a quick guess - so research is needed on your part.

Get the S465 and make your truck drive able - then figure out the rest.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode