New Motor question - Fire Ring Gaskets - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

New Motor question - Fire Ring Gaskets

Hello,

I finally finished my new motor consisting of the following:

.020 Pistons
Hypermax Rods - Balanced Mass
Hypermax Pushrods
Hypermax Fire Ring Head Gaskets
Comp 910 Springs
H2E Turbo Kit
Casserly Stage III - 235CC injectors
650hp Southbend - Dual Disk Clutch

Motor Runs great. Problem is that when I stand on it in it blows all my coolant out of the overflow. I am running stock head bolts under recommendation of Hypermax. However when I torqued the the heads down I used anti-sieze and after the fact I am told by hypermax that their torque specs were based on using OIL to torque.

Can I slip in a set of studs and possibly fix this cylinder pressure leak (this is what I think my problem is)? It seems that it ONLY happens at HIGH boost levels, but the truck runs fine during normal usage, and lower boost.

I am not driving it anymore until I can figure out what direction I am going to go with this. I am planning on checking some of the bolts today and seeing if they are stretched and require a little more torquing, if they do, then I will definately TRY putting a set of studs in without pulling the motor, but if they don't then it looks like I am going to have to pull the heads off and put new gaskets in with a set of studs.

HELP???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4

Re: New Motor question - Fire Ring Gaskets

What about your thermostat problem did you get that figured out yet John?

08 F 450 King Ranch 6.4
Elite Race trans, Spartanized, ARP, Icon 4.5 on 35's, RDP boots, HID'S, OUO ladder bars, 3" I/C pipe
04 X 6.0
08 tow mirrors, ARP studs, RDP boots.
01 X 7.3, Dp, Cass 238/80 Hybrids, Terminator Dual pumps, TNBB holding on for dear life @40+psi, TE thermostat, ARP studs, Fluidampner, RDP 6637, RDP boots
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:03 PM
PSN Veteran

wow hypermax recommended to use stock studs?? when they can barly handel 180cc and 40psi of boost is pusing it, never mind your 45psi and your 560+ athe wheels!! get some h-11 studs or at very least some arp studs for thalf the cost and ringing your up 1 retorque before there junk

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Do you think that I might be able to just put the studs in and re-torque? Or are my head gaskets going to be toast?
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32 View Post
What about your thermostat problem did you get that figured out yet John?
Yup, tried the STAT, and it appears to not be the problem... (Damn it!).

One other thing, I just went out to start it (after sitting for about 15hours. And it sure does SMOKE and run rough for about the first 30secs. LOTS of WHITE smoke... Then it goes away and all is good... Any suggestions? (This is the problem I had on my old motor after installing the Stage III injectors. Its fine if I go start it say 4-6hours after parking it, but when it sits for a lengthy time, it smokes like crazy... Someone said fuel pressure / leak? But I am wondering what the symptoms would be if it was something leaking into the cyl past the head gasket.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Lovin Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7 View Post
wow hypermax recommended to use stock studs?? when they can barly handel 180cc and 40psi of boost is pusing it, never mind your 45psi and your 560+ athe wheels!! get some h-11 studs or at very least some arp studs for thalf the cost and ringing your up 1 retorque before there junk
I'm amazed that you were told by Hypermax to use Ford bolts. Are you aware they are torque to yield, and can only be used once?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordzilla01 View Post
Do you think that I might be able to just put the studs in and re-torque? Or are my head gaskets going to be toast?
As it was explained to me, you need to hot retorque the heads with firerings. That process involves bringing motor up to temp then doing a final retorque on heads while they are still hot. This crushes the firerings. When mine were done, they got 1/2 to 3/4 of a rotation on the stud nuts. I would bet the gaskets are done.

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BigD View Post
I'm amazed that you were told by Hypermax to use Ford bolts. Are you aware they are torque to yield, and can only be used once?

As it was explained to me, you need to hot retorque the heads with firerings. That process involves bringing motor up to temp then doing a final retorque on heads while they are still hot. This crushes the firerings. When mine were done, they got 1/2 to 3/4 of a rotation on the stud nuts. I would bet the gaskets are done.
Just went out and tore down the drivers side valve cover. Threw the torque wrench on all the bolts (Accept the ones under the top of the Injectors). I had 2 or 3 near the front/bottom of the head that took about 1/8-1/4 turn. (Is that enough to cause my problems?) All the rest seemed to be pretty solid @ the 115ft/lb torque spec required by Hypermax.
Hypermax says no need to re-torque once installed. I think I am going to leave that side apart and wait for my head studs. Not much point in putting it back together until I do the studs. I think I will install studs in the truck, torque to spec, and then re-try and see if my coolant goes for a crap.
Anyone else have any suggestions? Why the big cloud of white smoke after hours of sitting parked, its not very cold here only about 5C-12C night/day.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Busy Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BigD View Post
Headbolts are the only fasteners you can not re-use on a 7.3.

As for hypermax recommending you to use stock bolts on this build.....

443.553.9234 - 410.392.3262

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 Platinum - 11.62 @ 115.76 on Nitrous
2007 F250 - 10.916 @ 122.86 on Fuel
2005 F450 - Tow Bitch
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ya well... Hindsite. 20/20. Got studs on order, should be here later this week. Maybe I will get lucky and save the whole situation by slipping in a set of studs... Maybe the head gaskets won't notice.. being that it only lets go @ 40-50psi. Otherwise runs great!
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 PM
PSN Local

My experience with semi trucks is that if the head gasket has failed, the coolant will be pushed out of the overflow or show external leaks. I hope this isn't your case but you will know if it still does it after the studs.

'94 F-350 4x4 DRW 5spd
Intake, DP, IDM Mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode