Edge Evo, Then DP, Then guages - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Edge Evo, Then DP, Then guages

Ok, this might sound weird, but I'm on a tight budget since I have taxes to pay but need mpg improvements soon. By doing my research i've decided that a dp tuner and guages would be my best bet but finances are holding me back. If i picked up an edge evo now, could i then pick up a dp tuner later and use the evo in stock mode for the guages. later i could sell the evo and pick up some guages since they appear to be moving quickly on this forum.

Any advice/info would be great, even if its a different route that you would recommend. Please don't suggest a route much exceeding $400 since that is where i'm at right now, it won't be useful to me.

02 F250 7.3L PSD, 6sp manual, 4WD, SCT livewire, AFE custom WAI, single stack, no muf, 285 BFG AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:23 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Edge Evo, Then DP, Then guages

yes you can use the evo for gauges.

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 PM
PSN Veteran

You must be talking about the evo 2 correct? The original evo did not have gauges, just the juice with attitude. Before i knew better, i had the original evo downloader and it actually ran pretty good in my truck. Then i went to the juice with attitude and it sucked bad. Then i got my tunes from matt and i use the attitude for gauges.

Too be honest with $400 your almost there for custom tunes. What i would do is save another $50 and get custom tunes and just run the lower power levels for milage untill you get gages. With my tunes from matt, the tow, economy, and street tune will not go over 1300 degree. So i would feel safe running them without gauges for a little while.

2000 F-350 ccsb 4x4: DIY intake, 4 inch straight, Tuning by [email protected]
99 tacoma V6 5sp 4x4: Chaos/DR mid travel kit, F/R glass, 33x12.50 MTR's---Sold
08 F-150 Lariat Screw 4x4:---Sold
2005 F-250 Lariat ccsb 4x4 auto: All stock for now

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:36 PM
PSN Veteran

While Matts tuning is amazing you should never run gaugeless on a tuned truck

At the bare minimun have a pyro guage

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:19 AM
PSN Veteran

And i agree. I was just saying if it came down to it i would feel safe. As long as you don't drive like an moron. Because driving hard with an evo is going to do much good for his tranny anyway.

2000 F-350 ccsb 4x4: DIY intake, 4 inch straight, Tuning by [email protected]
99 tacoma V6 5sp 4x4: Chaos/DR mid travel kit, F/R glass, 33x12.50 MTR's---Sold
08 F-150 Lariat Screw 4x4:---Sold
2005 F-250 Lariat ccsb 4x4 auto: All stock for now
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 04:03 AM
dinnerbooter treasurer

You could always get a flashed PCM from either DP tuner or PHP to save money. I think PHP only charges $125 for that and then you could get a EGT gauge.

93 F350 Gasser
03 F250 6.0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dinnerbooter #3
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 AM
owner/president

Send a message via MSN to dixieland-diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuineford View Post
You could always get a flashed PCM from either DP tuner or PHP to save money. I think PHP only charges $125 for that and then you could get a EGT gauge.
Your tranny will thank you later.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Just buy a chip without the switch. Have a econo program loaded and get a pyro installed. Add a NAPA #6637 filter and find a local shop to remove the muffler and put a straight pipe in. Or go to a big truck shop and buy a piece of 3 1/2 flex pipe and do it yourself. It does not have to be pretty. You can change it when funds are avaliable.

Tony

02 Excursion CR conversion with a few go fast parts
The truck
should have built

FOR SALE
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 AM
PSN Veteran

For around $1K I got a dp with 5 tunes, guages, trans temp ,boost, & egt, and a jw valve body. Best money I have spent.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuineford View Post
I didn't find this on either of their websites, The cheapest I could find was $230 for a chip with no switch.

and btw, i drive a manual so i shouldn't need the tranny temp.

02 F250 7.3L PSD, 6sp manual, 4WD, SCT livewire, AFE custom WAI, single stack, no muf, 285 BFG AT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode