Want more towing power - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Want more towing power

Hey guys first off i'd like to say great job on the site. I'm new to powerstroke nation and I just want to say how impressive it is and how helpful all the info is.

My truck is an 02 f250 auto crewcab long bed. I as of right now have guages mbrp exhaust, and an afe stage 2 intake and i made a newbie mistake when i first bought the truck and bought a bully dog power pup. i took that out of the truck so its now on its stock tune. I bought a 3 car hauling trailer and I'm looking for more power but this is also my daily driver. I make some long trips as well so i need reliable power. I know I need a custom tune just by reading other posts but i'm hoping you guys had some other suggestions and i know it all boils down to how much i want to spend but just any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Want more towing power

call matt @gearhead automotive, the 02 trucks tend to hang around in first gear as they go into 2nd, if the tuner you use doesnt modify this you can have a very hard shift that could start to damage the transmission. just get with matt and never look back.

02 F250 cc sb Lariet 4x4.
BTS Transmission installed/tuned by TSD
Autometer Ultralite II Trans,Pyro,Boost.
MBRP 4'' Cool Duals turboback with 5'' tips.
DIY tractionbars with Procomp mounts.
6637/zoodad intake,Drilled/slotted Rotors.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:27 PM
peterbilt'in

ebv delete, high flow outlet, compressor wheel upgrade. about the chip. i have a DP still... but w/e. if you have more $, turbo, IC, sticks, fuel system, HPOP, Bts trans, regear to a 4.10, you probably have 3.55 or 3.73 being a 250 (3 car trailer seems like it would be a bit much legal weight wise but i go over all the time to!)

odd's and ends, make sure your brakes are not dragging, tires aired up, u joints are good, etc.

2002 F350 extended cab XLT, 4x4 auto,194K mi @ 10/25/13, ELF7405, DP F5, ultra light gauges, all kinds of "improvements" Yukon Grizzly locker 6K helper springs, x code fronts. 2 Y2K jetta Tdi. RC2 tuned

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 PM
PSN Veteran

You will see that their are many favorites for tuners. I am very pleased with PHP.

Other popular tuners:
Tony Wildman
Gearhead
Swamps
DI
DP tuner
Beans

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 04:42 AM
PSN Veteran

If you tow in any mtns leave the ebpv and get a dptuner. Jody has a decell tune that uses that as an exh brake and locks the conv. I tow a heavy toyhauler (13K when loaded) in the mtns here in Az and that tune is absolutely wonderful for decending 6-7% grades. Just my $.02.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 AM
<---Beer version of PMR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel5480 View Post
Hey guys first off i'd like to say great job on the site. I'm new to powerstroke nation and I just want to say how impressive it is and how helpful all the info is.

My truck is an 02 f250 auto crewcab long bed. I as of right now have guages mbrp exhaust, and an afe stage 2 intake and i made a newbie mistake when i first bought the truck and bought a bully dog power pup. i took that out of the truck so its now on its stock tune. I bought a 3 car hauling trailer and I'm looking for more power but this is also my daily driver. I make some long trips as well so i need reliable power. I know I need a custom tune just by reading other posts but i'm hoping you guys had some other suggestions and i know it all boils down to how much i want to spend but just any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks again!
If on a budget PMR build, this is what I'd do:

Custom tunes --~$350
Adrenalin HPOP-~$600
1.0 ex housing ~$315
(non-wastegated)
wicked wheel ~$90
trans valve body~$225
Powerslot rotors~$320
hawk pads ~$80
overboost valve ~$30

I'd also look at:
5r110 trans cooler
coolant filter
ccv re-route

Tuning by Sniper
Transmishing by John Wood
Breathing by AFE
Exhausting by Pinncle
Monitoring by me and Isspro
Compressing by Wicked Wheel
Wasting by Turbomaster
Stopping by Powerslot
Lifting by Donahoe
Rolling by Toyo
Protecting by Ranch Hand, God, and Ruger
Addiction by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

by Garrett, Alliant, ITP, DP-Tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode