Best chip for the old 7.3? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Firefighter/EMT

Best chip for the old 7.3?

Hey guys, i picked up a 02 7.3 with the 6speed a couple months ago and im looking to up the power a bit. I have been told a chip will give me the most all around gains. im wondering which one if any are the best? any input would be great!

02 F250 6 speed with 270k- SOLD
05 F350 auto with 94k, 4in MBRP with 6in tip, updated fuel pressure spring, and auto meter fuel press, boost, trans, and pyro guages, and tuning by vivian and PHP's FICM tuner currently running hercules! NO STUDS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

14.1 @ 95 is the best so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:43 AM
PSN Local

Re: Best chip for the old 7.3?

You should look at some of the custom tuned chips. That some of the sponsors have to offer. You mite want to do a search there is a lot of info there.

2000 SD h2e, ats trans, itp RR, Adrenalin hpop, TS 6 with tw's tunes inj. 000cc 000mlm nozzles. it makes 54.9 hp lol
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:48 AM
<---- Funny

any custom tuned chip will do great for your truck... i run PHP and its great

Will

2002 F-350 CC LB 4x4 DRW

3 other PSDs, Low-Pro Freightliner, and 12 other diesel trucks

Random pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 AM
PSN Veteran

The search button is your friend (up and to the right a bit). You will find at least a six-pack's worth of reading. Whatever you decide, actually talk to the human being that will be doing the tuning for best results.

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Search button will lead you to many threads that cover this subject.

02 f250
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 AM
BIG RED

Swamps 6 position chip

99 F250 4X4 7.3 powerstroke, Hybrid injectors By UNLIMITED, 6 position chip with Matts Tunes, K&N INTAKE, 9 INCH SUPER LIFT, 38 inch Nitto Mud Grapplers wrapped around 18 inch Karat rims, 5 INCH straight pipe,gauges, 07 Harley lites, Warn Hubs. H2e on the way 240,000 miles running strong..WV BEAST!!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Village Idiot

johnathan at beans diesel perfomance...pm bean
dave at DI...pm powerstrokeracer
matt at gearhead..pm matt66
swamps..pm golfer
bill at php...pm bill or grooveychic
and jody at dptuner...pm seeya

all are great tuners. talk to them see who mentions good pmr tunes .
personally I went with beans diesel performance, great track record great cust service, never dealt with the others but a ll good ones to talk to.

there are a few others bts, tw etc as well.
biggest difference is all but dp tuner us a ts 6 pos chip, dp uses a 16 pos digital chip. but remember each tune costs so while you can get reburns from diff vendors or more tunes each one will cost a bit, and they can add up.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 PM
PSN Veteran

PHP for a 6 speed. Bill's tunes are perfectly smooth and linear. It will drive like stock, but more power. What kind of power gains are you looking for? If a modest gain is what you are after. Then adding just the PHP chip, exhaust, air filter and gauges, will make for a nice truck.

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Firefighter/EMT

Im looking to gain as much power as i can without putting any stress on my stock components. I dont tow very much thats why i was looking at one of the 6 position chips so i could run the truck how i wanted it and have the extra power there when i wanted it, like when a little honda pulls up and things his 4 banger is all that....

02 F250 6 speed with 270k- SOLD
05 F350 auto with 94k, 4in MBRP with 6in tip, updated fuel pressure spring, and auto meter fuel press, boost, trans, and pyro guages, and tuning by vivian and PHP's FICM tuner currently running hercules! NO STUDS!

14.1 @ 95 is the best so far!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 12:21 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH OIL BURNER View Post
Im looking to gain as much power as i can without putting any stress on my stock components.
Ummmmm, any stress? Not gonna happen. You can't add power without putting stress on ALL your components i.e. engine, injectors, clutch, transmission, u-joints, differentials, etc, etc, ...

You can add power while minimizing the stress on individual components and all of those tuners have a different way of doing that. That's why I suggested talking to the tuners directly (human to human on the phone) and finding out how "they" go about meeting your goals. I just got off the phone with one of the tuners mentioned and after talking for two-and-a-half hours (literally!) I have a very good idea of how he tunes and how he can meet my goals. It's your goals and your money, use them wisely.

2000 F350 PSD, 4X4, CC, LB, 6-speed/ PHP Tuning /1.0 Turbo (no wastegate) with WW/ 4" turbo back exhaust/ AIS Intake with fender sleeve/ Isspro EV gauges/

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode