Will the ford ais flow enough for the 38r and anybody have a sound clip? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Will the ford ais flow enough for the 38r and anybody have a sound clip?

If I end up upgrading my injectors, the turbo won't be too far behind. I like how quiet my AIS is. Will it be enough and does anybody have sound clip?

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 10:11 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Will the ford ais flow enough for the 38r and anybody have a sound clip?

The 38R is still a good bit louder than the stock turbo even with the AIS intake. (I am running stock injectors, GT38R w/1.15 A/R turbine housing, and AIS intake) I noticed a pretty sizeable difference in noise when I put the 38R in. I don't have a problem with it though. Not sure if I have a sound clip or not....Let me look around and see if I can find it.
-Aaron
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 10:52 PM
PSN Newb

Excuse the video quality...It was the first test drive after installing the GT38R at night and I was trying to drive and film. This is with the AIS intake installed also. The first video is on the 120hp setting and the second is 140hp.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Need a ride.

If your AIS is a filter in a airbox like my S-B intake system is with a 38R and sticks, your not going to be quiet like you like it. The 38R does whistle even with an airbox and you add some decent size sticks with your chip you are going to hear it more pronounced. Its not going to be deafening but you will notice it..just my .2 cents, good luck.

03 F-250 7.3 XLT CC SB Auto 38R, S-B Intake, 4 inch MBRP Duals, Regulated Return, J Wood VB, DP Tuner, Isspros 3 Pillar, Terminator Scan Gauge, DS Coolant Filter, HPX
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Edward Scissorhand WanaB

For normal driving the AIS should be fine with the 38R. For hot dogging around and for performance you will need a better flowing filter. I was running the AIS with my 38R and removed it in Sept.09 and replaced it with an AFE Stage II and all I can say is wow that thing seems to flow a lot better. It woke my truck up and it pulls better now. The sound of the 38R is more pronounced now and when it spools it it has a nice whistle to it.
With the AIS the 38R would howl and whistle and with the AFE it is all whistle.

"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC, 4x4, LWB,
A few mods to make it better than stock.
250cc hybrids, Stealth stage II HPOP, H-11 Headstuds, Strickly Diesel Reg. Return Fuel, Spearco 6.0 IC, Garrett 38r 1.15 hsg, BTS transmission, Gearhead Tuning
"The Smoke Don't Mean Its Broke"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:46 AM
PSN Veteran

IMO the AIS was made to work with a stock 7.3. You can help it some by opening it up to the fender well air hole and removing the material infront of the snorkel but in the end that is not what it was made for. It was made for ultimate filtration, not CFM flow, inside the confines of the air box for a stock 7.3. They seem to need those mods just to flow enough for a stock turbo when a chip is added. Move to a turbo that flows more IMO puts you back to about what a stock turbo has with a stock box with a chip and exhaust in ratio
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Hmmmm. Those clips are a little louder than what I was looking for. It sounds like there is a good whistle at 7psi, which is where I cruise on the highway. Does it whistle even at 2000 rpm and 70 mph on the highway?

2002 f-350 PSD, 4x4, cc short bed, 6spd, ccv mod, airdog, AIS filter, isspro ev and scangauges, detroit TT, ITP boost annihalator, ITP RR, bellowed up-pipes, ats housing, turbomaster, 3.5 dp magnaflow, very happy with ultra smooth and linear PHP 50t, 80DD and "whisper" tunes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 AM
PSN Veteran

Great sound clips! Thats something I have been looking for for a long time. Im thinking mine will sound very similar to that with a 6oh intake. Hoping to order a 38r in another week.

DRW and tow fast parts.......
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:55 AM
HP Junky

Believe the AIS will support about 400hp if you open it up to pull air from the inner fender. Will definitley be your best for keeping the sound of that 38R out of the cab. I ran the AIS on my old truck with Stage II's and the 38R, seemed to work just fine.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 AM
PSN Newb

Well, I have the stock 3.73 gears and 37" tires, but I only really notice the whistle under accelleration on the highway. It does tend to be louder at cruise when towing. It was really noticeable at first, but I don't pay any attention any more. The majority of the noise is around about 3-5 $aybe 6psi. After that is tapers off inside the cab. Between the turbo and my Nitto Mud Grapplers my wife has been known to complain about the noise.
-Aaron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode