Any neg effects of routing auxillary IPR bleed off oil back to the HPOP reservior? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Any neg effects of routing auxillary IPR bleed off oil back to the HPOP reservior?

At idle the LPOP doesn't provide as much oil as I need to keep my reservior topped off. (I run a line up to the reservior from near the oil filter.) With 2 IPRs (I have a GEN 3 style HPOP system w/ 2 IPRs) dumping oil I have a stalling problem at times at idle. Especially once the oil gets good and warm.

The truck always starts right back up after a few seconds of cranking and it never has a problem while maintaining any RPMs but at idle it happens quite a bit. So I'm considering routing my auxillary IPR bleed off back to the reservior to avoid loss of reservior oil pressure but I have concerns about residual heat and air.

It's either that or dump the additional IPR.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm officially...Stroke-less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Any neg effects of routing auxillary IPR bleed off oil back to the HPOP reservior

Sun, oil temps may increase slightly. Probably about 10 degrees, since your still dumbing half your oil in the stock location.

Have you monitored your lube pressure at the galley yet?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Re: Any neg effects of routing auxillary IPR bleed off oil back to the HPOP reservior

Glad you responded Joey. I figured you would have good info about this.

I haven't checked idle oil pressure in a few years so I don't recall what it is.

Joey, what steps would you take to remedy this situation? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Sun, just run a line from your remote IPR to the reservoir fill port(-4 allen plug). With dumping both pumps in my system to the reservoir, I have plenty of pressure throughout the rpm range. The only issue a few of my customers have had, are higher oil temps. In your situation, you should be fine, since you still have your factory IPR dumping into the timing cover. Give it a shot!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Will do ASAP.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 AM
<<< Power

Let us know how it works out for you. I'm interested.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Suns, the auxiliary feed line for the Gen3 is supposed to come off the front of the galley on the drivers side.

And if you can't maintain lube pressure at idle, you may want to check and see if your lube pump gears have scored the front cover. There is no reason why your lube pump shouldn't keep up at idle if it keeps up in the rest of the rpm range.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Junior Mint

Good info smoky. My front cover probably only has 20K miles on it however.

I pulled off my second IPR as a first step. I was shocked to discover w/ this programming it made no difference in general runnability.

But I still have random stalling problems at times. Pretty confused about where to look for this problem. The truck will be running great and then just sputter and stall when I'm idling.

Also, I occasionally seem to be out of reservior oil after the truck has been sitting. Are people running drain back valves and if so, where?

Thanks for any ideas you might share.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 PM
2010 BOB Points Runner up

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
Good info smoky. My front cover probably only has 20K miles on it however.

I pulled off my second IPR as a first step. I was shocked to discover w/ this programming it made no difference in general runnability.

But I still have random stalling problems at times. Pretty confused about where to look for this problem. The truck will be running great and then just sputter and stall when I'm idling.

Also, I occasionally seem to be out of reservior oil after the truck has been sitting. Are people running drain back valves and if so, where?

Thanks for any ideas you might share.
There are a good hand full of trucks around my area that are having this same issued and I haven't aclue what it is. That is mostly from it not being a big enough issue for them to warrant the diagnostics to fix it. I started a thread a little while back to see if anyone on here had similar issues, but didn't get and benifical feedback that I can remember. I know that doesn't help you any but just so you know it might not be in your setup specifically.

-Michael

Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
HRT Performance

Don't go shooting me for suggesting this:

Since this problem is happening at idle - ie low RPMs - is it possible that the gear pumps are not spinning fast enough to hold pressure once things are up to temperature? A little bit of slip through that pump and you might be loosing pressure momentarily causing your hickup. I assume that is why there is a check valve between the gear pump and the factory HPOP - but if that check valve has the slightest delay in closing, or has some amount of bleed by it might be plausible. Its just a thought - perhaps its nothing. Maybe testing a different brand of check valve or just swapping it out for another one to see if the problem stays or goes away.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode