Fan and Clutch Remove during the winter? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Sled Head

Fan and Clutch Remove during the winter?

Anyone remove the fan and clutch during the winter months? Just curious is it helps at all seems the diesel never gets real warm during the winter months. Gets to operating temp and all good heat. Just wondering if its worth doing? Pulling 4 place sled trailer to the mountains soon and wondering if it would be any benefit.

2001 f250 H2E,BTS,Stealth,reg return,mod IDM, spearco,DI Ceramic Headers.. bcode stage 3's Cale's Tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:18 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Fan and Clutch Remove during the winter?

I wouldn't remove it... With my 360 conversion, I would get absoutley no heat at all..... I merely cut a sheet of cardboard half the size of the radiator and slid it between the IC and rad. This way the IC still works efficently and now I have heat in the cab....

1999.5 Brugundy/Black CC 4x4 Dually BTS, IH DTA360 conversion completed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 AM
PSN Veteran

They also have the perfab grill covers that the run up north that strap onto the outside of the grill.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Inmate #1

If you are gonna pull, leave it on. I removed mine and ran almost to summer here in TX with it like that.

The problem is this, if you fog up your windshield and turn on the defrost, then stop at a light with it on, it will spike the pressure in the system because it can't cool the condenser. If you remember to turn it off except when you are moving, you are okay. But if you are gonna pull, you need some kind of fan. I went to electrics and it does fine if I'm not pulling in the summer. But I found out the hard way that if it's hot, and you are pulling, electric fans won't cut it.

But for the most part, during the cooler months, you can get away without a fan. You can actually still cool the truck by idling without a fan when it's cool. Just remember when you have the a/c or defrost on, it needs air moving over the condenser, or bad things happen. The first time I did this, I started hearing this loud hissing noise in the cab. Scared the crap outta me. Anyway, that's my take.

RubberDuck

1995 F350 4x4 CC Dually-Rockee

1995 F350 4x4 Reg Cab Dually-3.0 Puller-Bobbie's Kitchen Pass
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 AM
PSN Pretender

I pulled mine off a couple years ago and it worked great! Seemed to warm up faster, run quieter, and the heater was warmer. I also had the front end completely blocked off and had no overheating issues, in fact I feel that the heater core was enough to keep temps normal. This worked so well I ended up leaving the fan off since then(year round), even when pulling my 32' Enclosed gooseneck that is loaded with a race car, parts, tools, gennie, and everything else.............no issues...........at all! Keep in mind that while we have some serious hill climbs around here, there is hardly any stop-and go traffic either. In a city driving situation I might not have had such great luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode