Can I swap a Walbro in place of a SD Fuel Pump? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
A Ghost these days...

Can I swap a Walbro in place of a SD Fuel Pump?

Its my new truck. Has a stock fuel system other than a pre-pump water separator, and a fuel pressure regulator booster housing (Fuel Pressure Regulator Booster Housing). One day after I swapped in the Hybrids, the stock fuel pump crapped out.

Can i just swap in a Walbro GSL 392 in the place of the SD pump without installing a regulated return? I know I need a RR with my injectors. I will be buying/building one in the near future. I just need something to get me going again.

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

Rockin' Out with some help from: Alpine / Rockford Fosgate / Memphis / Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker
Re: Can I swap a Walbro in place of a SD Fuel Pump?

Yes you can kinda. The fuel line hook ups are different. IMO I would go ahead and change your fuel line and be done with it then all you have to do is the RR

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
A Ghost these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_stroker View Post
Yes you can kinda. The fuel line hook ups are different. IMO I would go ahead and change your fuel line and be done with it then all you have to do is the RR
Could I just cut the fuel line and clamp a hose onto it and use barbed fittings on the fuel pump?

Which fuel line are you saying to replace? the one going from the pump to the bowl?

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:27 PM
PSN Veteran

I personally would not buy another walbro. I have had too many problems with them and the warranty sucks.

SWAMPS DIESEL PERFORMANCE
DIESEL INNOVATIONS
PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS
EMPIRE DIESEL PERFORMANCE

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracing View Post
I personally would not buy another walbro. I have had too many problems with them and the warranty sucks.
Been running mine for almost 20k and a year with no issues.

And they don't warranty them for diesels I knew that when I bought it. But I have never had to worry about it.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Each one I had lasted right at a year and then crapped out. Keep your fingers crossed. Then I had to send it in for them to cut it open, and in the meantime I had to purchase another one and then wait for a refund wich they always denied.

SWAMPS DIESEL PERFORMANCE
DIESEL INNOVATIONS
PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS
EMPIRE DIESEL PERFORMANCE

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
A Ghost these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracing View Post
I would like to get a fuelab, but dont want to afford it right now. Im in the process of buying my first house, and the bank doesn't want me to spend any of my money.
Maybe by the time I build a complete fuel system, ill get the fuelab. My old truck is still running a Walbro with no problems, *knock on wood*.

big_stroker....
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
Could I just cut the fuel line and clamp a hose onto it and use barbed fittings on the fuel pump?

Which fuel line are you saying to replace? the one going from the pump to the bowl?
??????

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
<---- my shop

why not just swap the entire fuel system that you put on the truck you are selling onto your new truck and put the stock sys on new truck on the truck you are selling?

Robert

2003 F-350 CCLB, 7.3, Auto

2000 F-450 Sold.....

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
A Ghost these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader's fury View Post
why not just swap the entire fuel system that you put on the truck you are selling onto your new truck and put the stock sys on new truck on the truck you are selling?
Not enough time. Plus, I cut some of the stock fuel lines on the old truck and they are not re-usable. I need to get the old truck sold ASAP. I wish I has a couple weeks to swap stuff over, but im in a time crunch. Main thing was the Injectors $$ and Turbo. Everything else is fairly cheap compared to those two.

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
PSN Veteran

Well then I think what may be best for you until you get the house and loan/s wrapped up is hit a salvage yard and for about $30 pick up another SD pump and slap it on. About 30 mins. You seem you really are picking the Walbro as a second choice when you really want a Fuelab. You also plan an RR in the near future. Given this was a stop gap measure to begin with why not go with the simplest cheapest and most durable route and get a used SD pump. Later you could even run it as a secondary pump to the fuelab in ase you ever have an issue. I know the injectors woudl like a bigger pump but the real benefit will come with the fuel system change over and RR. This will get you back up on the road the fastest and its plug and play simple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode