What would you do??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheres the Spark Plugs?

What would you do???

Hi guys, once again I am hoping you can point me in the right direction here. My rig is a 2000 Ex with the 7.3 and 136,000 on the clock now. The truck is lifted 8" and rides on 38x15.50's with 4.56 gears. I have added a S&B Intake, MBRP 4" Stainless System and an Edge CTS Tuner that I keep on level 2. I added all of these parts at once and immediately started experiencing surge at anything above 10psi and EGT's of over 1200 degrees anytime I head up any kind of a hill or put some pedal to it on the highway. Where would you go from here to correct this? Should I throw a new/better turbo and intercooler at it? I'm at a loss at the moment. As always, thank you in advance for all the help and knowledge.

2000 Excursion, Edge CTS, GTP-38R, MBRP Stainless System, S&B Intake, 38" Toyo M/T's, 8" lift, Kodiak Grizzly Steps (THEY SUCK)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Pioneer Z110BT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:05 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: What would you do???

Custom tunes would help, I'm sure more 7.3 guys will chime in.

06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:11 AM
PSN Local

an ats housing or wicked wheel will solve your surge.. as for the egt's not to sure but custom tunes will reduce your egt's by a bit bc they can be tuned to your truck vs. ur edge is tuned to everyother truck like it.. IMO

2006 f-250 ext cab swb, 127,000mi, Egr delete, 4" tb exhaust, edge juice w/ cs.

Ryan

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 AM
wheres the fat chicks?

ww and custom tunes as well

2000 F-350 SD ccsb=185hp
Matt's Tunes=140hp
6637=20hp
2% window tint=25hp
4in straight pipe=50hp
Custom Fuel system w/ sump=50hp
Foil,AIH,EBPV delete=30hp
Wow...I'm making 500hp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke of luck View Post
i started sharting at an early age...
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheres the Spark Plugs?

Whats the normal life expectancy of a stock turbo? Is it a wise idea to spend the $450 on a ATS Housing (to install on a 136,000 mile turbo) or just suck it up and buy a new turbo all together. Are you guys still running your stock intercoolers or have you upgraded?

2000 Excursion, Edge CTS, GTP-38R, MBRP Stainless System, S&B Intake, 38" Toyo M/T's, 8" lift, Kodiak Grizzly Steps (THEY SUCK)
, Pioneer Z110BT.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:17 AM
<< wasted fuel >>

custom tunes and a 38r or a van turbo.

On the hunt for another truck....
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 AM
PSN Local

well, i might be alone on this one but i'm still running stock intercooler and have a stock charger with a ww with over 200,000 miles on it. and still doesn't have any play in the shaft....knock on wood

2006 f-250 ext cab swb, 127,000mi, Egr delete, 4" tb exhaust, edge juice w/ cs.

Ryan
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 AM
PSN Veteran

Ditch da edge.

2002 F-250 SD Lariat CC 4x4
7.3L automatic.
Underdash gauge pod with ISSPRO gauges.
Zoodad.
AIH delete.
DIY Tymar filter.
Sonnax Kit.
4" turbo back straight exhaust and 4-6" Silverline chrome tip.
20" wheels with 32x12.5 Toyo MT's
'08 aluminum rear diff cover.
SOLID AXLE front cover.
A/C Mod
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheres the Spark Plugs?

Ditching the EDGE would be a last effort for me. Its way to convenient to have access to all the reading I could need without having to buy a ton of gauges. Im not looking for 600 horse, Im just looking to make what I have now usable. I wouldnt consider 1100 plus temps with no load behind me usable but I also dont claim to know near what you guys do as well. Whats the difference between the 38r and the 42 series? Is it worth the extra money?

, Pioneer Z110BT.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 AM
PSN Veteran

That 42r will be too much turbo for stock sticks. You could get custom tunes, and keep the edge just for the gauges.

I can't believe no one has said anything about it, but do you have a boost leaks? Have you checked all your boots for cracks, loose clamps, etc? Also the uppipes that lead to the turbo from the exhaust manifold are know for leaking.

As for the turbo, have you check to see if there is any play in it? Side to side is rebuildable, in and out, and you need a new turbo.

thats all I got.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode