Adding Power Winows - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
kst
Hook em Horns

Adding Power Winows

anyone added power windows, my truck is an XL and I would like to add XLT door panels and power windows with factory switches.....i already did power locks when I did my alarm.....i also did aftermarket power windows......anyone know if these will wire up to factory switches?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM
PSN Local

Re: Adding Power Winows

I'm in the same boat. I've already got the panels and factory switches. just not sure which window kit to buy. how are you going to integrate the factory switches into the aftermarket kit. I looked into buying the factory harness plugs! way expensive, stupid expensive. IIRK it was like $40 a piece and there are 2-3 on each switch plate. been wondering if it might be better to just buy the factory motors and regulators and scam a harness out of a boneyard.

02 F550 4x4 6 sp/2sp ,some mods-- always one more
380Hp/800Tq all day long
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
PSN Local

I did it to my 06, its alot of work, but its sure nice now thats its done. I used a donor truck from the junk yard of the same year, I snagged the doors, and harnesses. The truck I pulled it from was partially picked away at so the dash was gone. It made it alot easier to get to the VSM(behind the radio) which you'll need if you want the factory RKE. The harness(includes speaker wires, dome and cargo light, pwr windows and locks, door ajar switch wires, and power seats) is huge since its one piece and it runs from inside the doors down the door jams then it goes behind and under the seats to the the other doors, then to the fuse panel and the VSM. Everything was plug and play, but there is alot of work to get to the plugs so you can play. If you decide to do it let me know I'll help where I can.

16 6.7 F-350 XLT SC 4x4 auto
06 6.0 F-250 XLT SC 4x4 auto
05 6.0 Excursion EB 4x4 auto
00 7.3 F-350 Lariat CC 4x4 12 speed
95 7.3 F-Superduty XL PSD Auto Mechanics Truck
94 7.3 F-Superduty XL PSD 5 Speed 12ft Flatbed
93 7.3 F-Superduty XL IDI 5 Speed 12ft Dump bed

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
kst
Hook em Horns

i put electric life windows they are like stock. the switches are not. Do you know if i can wire the aftermarket wiring harness to the factory switches? i have not bought the panels yet, waiting to hear if i can rewire the switch to my aftermarket wiring harness. I dont think i can tackle the whole harness exchange
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Custom Trailer Sales

I'm hoping to do this with my truck in the spring from a donor truck a friend of mines going to get. I'm thinking that an extended cab 99' will be a lot easier than an 06'. And a direct swap at that.

Jeremy would you have any info on what a 99' would consist of, the same sensors?

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 AM
PSN Local

The harness swap is not that bad. So you already have the following wires in your harness; door ajar wires, speaker wires and dome/cargo wires...so all you have to add is the windows and the door locks(if your putting in both). So if you snag the complete harness, and a crewcab harness will work but you have allot of extra wires you won't need(both back windows, locks and door ajar wires...you’ll have to remove them from the harness.

So you'd remove the drivers kick panel and the panel that runs down the driver door panel to the rear doors. All of your wires are in there. So you can cut them at the kick panel, unplug the old harness at the fuse box(on a 02+, I'll have to check on a 99-01) Plug in the new harness, run your wires down to the kick panel, splice the old wires(door ajar, speakers, dome lights) in(use heat shrink connections) After all why run them if there already there. Pull those same wires from your "new" harness since you don't need them now. (you used the old existing wiring). With your new harness plugged into the fuse box, attach/splice the wires you cut for the existing wiring(door ajar etc) together. Then the extra wires in your "new" harness will be needed for your windows and locks in each door. You can run your junkyard "new" harness behind the seats like the factory one or just run it through the dash and over to the passenger side door. Put your extra wires in for the windows and locks and your good to go.

You have to splice allot of wires together...so make sure you use heat shrink. Removing the old harness from the wreck will be tricky since its one big ass harness. There are no connections between the doors and the cab, you have take the door panel off, unhook each of the connectors and pull them through the door and into the cab.

TrailerHauler,
I have to do some checking on a 99, IDK what the differences were, other than the fuse box.

KST,
The factory switches are wired kind of goofy so I'd have to check a diagram to see what each of the pins are. I don't see why you couldn’t use them, but I'll bet its cheaper to get a junkyard harness since it will have all of the connectors on the ends of the wires. Its probably worth getting just for the connectors. It would also be nice for the color coded wires to read from the wiring diagram.

I hope this was'nt to confusing, I tend to ramble when typing. If you guys need any help just ask...I'll do what I can.

If you get a truck with VSM it gets more complicated since you have wires and harness' going from the fuse box to the VSM behind the radio.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:17 AM
PSN Veteran

Wow... I searched, then posted a new thread on this exact thread before I saw yours at the top of the new posts search...

Thanks!
--Cameron

2008 F250 CCSB FX4
DPF/DOC Delete, Spartan, Banks (previous owner installed crap) Intake and Cat-back, OUO Traction Bars, 40gal TFI Tank/Toolbox, EDE Studs, HG's, and EGR Delete w/ wastegate

1969 F250 RCLB Highboy
360/4-speed
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:38 AM
PSN Local

CamTom12 brings up a point that I forgot...your factory/junkyard harness will include the power mirrors aswell. Since I did a 06 I had the heat and turn signals to add, with the mirrors. Again they are all in the same harness.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode