my turbo turned into an oil pump yesterday! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
The Sound Of Madness

Unhappy my turbo turned into an oil pump yesterday!

Driveing home from work yesterday my truck started to blow blue smoke out the tail pipe like a fog machine! At red lights it would smoke out the intersection. I wasnt far from home so i limped it back, the right side of the engine was coverd in oil and a oil water fall was running down onto the ground. i had oil dripping out of my tail pipe. I talked to a buddy at a local diesel shop he said the turbo went, He recomended to just rebuild the stock one with an upgraded compresser wheel. What do you guys think? Should i stick with that plan or go alittle bigger? Moneys alittle tight but there is some saved.

Thanks, Mike

L99 SCSB 7.3 4x4 AEM intake, 5" straight pipe, 6pos Gearhead chip, Autometer gauges, Firestone bags, ATD Built tranny, Smoked lights, 15% tint, WW, Mr. Bobs boots & hoses, Leveled, Moto Metals
'02 F-250 RCLB 5.4 XL Plow truck
05 F-250 SCSB 6.0 XLT Plow truck

Remember kids, chrome wont get you home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Super Hauler!

Re: my turbo turned into an oil pump yesterday!

are you planning on doing anything to the truck in the future? If not i would just rebuild that one and run a wicked wheel. If you are going to do oil and injectors someday i would vote for the 38r.

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Lovin Life...

What injectors are you running? Tunes? How do you use the truck, how much towing? Do you want to up the hp if still on factory injectors in the future? This well help get you some better answers.

02-350. CCSB - Drivetrain by Stauffer, fuel by Swamps, air by Barder, tunes by Gearhead.
04-250. ECSB - In the shop...7.3 swap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
The Sound Of Madness

the truck is stock, just intake and exhaust with a small 50hp chip, id like to go with a gearhead chip this summer. The trucks my daily driver, im not looking for big hp. I dont tow anything bigger then a skid steer. When the injecters go i was told i would be better off sticking with stock ones.

L99 SCSB 7.3 4x4 AEM intake, 5" straight pipe, 6pos Gearhead chip, Autometer gauges, Firestone bags, ATD Built tranny, Smoked lights, 15% tint, WW, Mr. Bobs boots & hoses, Leveled, Moto Metals
'02 F-250 RCLB 5.4 XL Plow truck
05 F-250 SCSB 6.0 XLT Plow truck

Remember kids, chrome wont get you home
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Genius, when I drink

For now I would get a rebuild kit. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a 38R. You can get the rebuild kit pretty cheap.

Beans Diesel Performance (Powered by CubeCart)

What year is your truck? If it's an early '99 you can't just drop-in a 38R.

If you are not looking for big HP I would run a set of 'Stage I' single shot injectors. They are a little louder than stock but will probably get you a little more HP while also providing a some increase in mileage with some good tuning from Gearhead. If you decide to put a 38R or something else in down the road you could easily get some new tunes as well. As I am not sure how aggresive you could get with the Stage I's and a stock turbo and make it last.

While you have the turbo out make sure to check the up-pipe donuts to make sure they are not leaking.

'03 F250 CC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
blip the throttle, and you just changed your "HPOP" oil

put that on youtube
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 06:53 PM
PSN Veteran

pretty easy to rebulid a turbo... got my rebuild kit from beans and a WW.. turbo apart and rebuilt and back together in less than 2 hrs.. make sure you get some loctite for the 12pt bolts when u put it back together though...

2001 F-250 4x4 ECSB
7.3 PSD DP Tuned
6.0 I/C Van Turbo & WW
6637 Intake 5" Exhaust
Custom RR Fuel System
05 Grille/08 Center Console
Raptor 372 w/ Toyo Open
Country AT2 35/12.50

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Looks like you have a 99 if that not a 99.5 other than a straight rebuild I think Beans D66 would be a perfect match up for what your stated goals are or the 38R if 99.5+. It will give you about the same step up as the GT38R do for the later model 7.3 powerstrokes. The D66 is a direct bolt on.

I don't think you can do better than Matts tunes. If you can afford to buy a new turbo I think you will be very happy if you choose to upgrade rather than do a rebuild and still be stuck with the same turbo. Combine that with tunes from Matt or Beans( maybe get some package deal with the turbo and chip) I think it will put a long lasting grin on your face every time you drive the truck whether towing DD or whatever. If you ver wanted to add injectors at a later date the turbo will support that and benefit you that much more.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM
PSN Pretender

If it is that bad I would bet you turbo is junk. I have replaced quite a few stockers and the ones that were dripping oil out the tailpipe either had the turbine shaft snap off, or wheels that were hitting the housings. Just pray that yours is not like this, and a rebuild should get you by for a little while longer.

Good Luck
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 03:12 AM
All done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by white7.3 View Post
pretty easy to rebulid a turbo... got my rebuild kit from beans and a WW.. turbo apart and rebuilt and back together in less than 2 hrs.. make sure you get some loctite for the 12pt bolts when u put it back together though...
Loctite will not hold up to the temp of a turbo. If you want to be sure of never backing out, drill the boltheads and safety wire them.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 AM
PSN Veteran

no problems with the loctite as of yet.. i used the high heat loctite.. what i was told on here to use when i rebuilt my turbo...

2001 F-250 4x4 ECSB
7.3 PSD DP Tuned
6.0 I/C Van Turbo & WW
6637 Intake 5" Exhaust
Custom RR Fuel System
05 Grille/08 Center Console
Raptor 372 w/ Toyo Open
Country AT2 35/12.50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode