Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

CCV4500 Experience and/or Opinions???

9K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
With the upcoming smog BS here in CA, I'm looking at going back to a closed crank case setup on my daily driver. However, I have no desire to deal with the oily mess that can result.

So, I'm considering going with a Racor CCV4500.

I was wondering who is running, or has run, the CCV4500, and what is/was your experience with it?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I believe that is the same one di sells. I had one and it worked well so long as you changed the filter every oil change. I was lazy and cheap (the filters are hard to find and cost 36 bucks). The red indicator didn't work for me. I hate emissions tests, thank god I don't have to deal with them here.

Best of luck
JP5

#3 ·
How difficult would it be to get the pipe for the CCV and keep the old setup. That way you can switch back at will before the test.

#7 ·
It wouldn't be difficult at all. In fact, I still have the stock setup sitting here somewhere, and I have the ITP kit on my truck.

Unfortunately, venting to the atmosphere (which I think is the best option) still results in a hazy cloud behind the truck (if weather conditions are condusive) when at idle. The stinky haze can piss off the tree huggers nearly as bad as belching a bunch of black smoke. I'm trying to keep it clean.

#4 ·
#9 ·
Here is the CCV kit I am using. I got it from NC Hornet. I know it is a bad picture. http://www.stealth-automotive.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1372

BD Diesel Performance also has there own version a similar Racor kit.
BD is a sponsor and so is Stealth Automotive.
The BD kits uses the CCV3550 which I don't think will flow enough for my application. It's a nice kit though.

And...I've heard too many negatives about the NCHornet kit. In particular, a number of people have noted that it does not catch all the oil.

#5 ·
would it be possible to return it direct into the intake manifold instead of oiling up or charge air coolers? or possibly dump it into the exhaust? just food for thought idk how that would affect emissions dumping it into the exhaust though

#6 ·
People have dumped it into the exhaust and noticed that the crankcase pressure is higher.

#8 ·
Just move out of commifonia:D

#12 ·
Why not for $20-30 make your own out of some 3" PVC, connectors, ball valve etc.. Takes about a hour and abut that to install. There are a few ways to do it but it works very well and is not $$$. You also can make it as big or small as needed.

#13 ·
I have mine routed to a catch can stuffed with metal Brillo pads and routed back to the intake. I know this doesn't eliminate all oil but it certainly cuts 95% of it out, it works excellent I just hope it doesn't throw a huge flag to the inspector, given it looks odd but virtually does the same thing as the factory setup. I used to vent to atmoshere and honestly I think I gained a little throttle response back after the switch.

#14 ·
Honestly I think the guys with heavy mods need to buddy up with their smog inspector, one of my good friends has a smog shop and said he was going to be doing diesels, just crossing my fingers that becomes reality.

#19 ·
Only one comment so far about the CCV4500.

Does anyone else have any experience with this filter setup that they would like to share????

#20 ·
Expensive but did a great job. I ran one on my early 99 and would change the filter about every 6K, but probably could have gone to 10K. Every 3K I would drain a couple of tbs of oil out of the canister.

For the 6.4 I'm going to try the NCHornet kit.

#24 ·
I ran one on my early 99 and would change the filter about every 6K, but probably could have gone to 10K. Every 3K I would drain a couple of tbs of oil out of the canister.
It still lets oil through into the IC tubes Matt, but I havent drained it either. I've done two oil changes and changed the filter the second time, so every other change and I'm changing oil at 3K. I probably drive it harder so being under more boost is likely to draw out more oil?

#25 ·
On my old DIY PVC one I drained every oil change and never had oil in the tube. It was a chipped basically stock motor driven fairly hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.