Stock Fuel System isn't enough... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
HP Junky

Stock Fuel System isn't enough...

I finally installed an in-cab fuel pressure gauge last night. My results actually surprised me. I've got the ITP regulated return system, but for right now the rest of the system is stock. This is on the stock AD's as well.

In my 120 and 140 programs, from an idle if I floor it, my pressure drops clear down to 20psi instantly. It's around 40psi when it shifts to second then slowly climbs to 60.

When the trucks already moving if I floor it, pressure slowly drops from 65psi to around 55psi.

So I definately need to get my fuel system done becasue the mini me's go in this weekend. Just thought I'd let you guys know, maybe it's something to look at. I would've never imagined it would do that with stock injectors, but it does...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:24 PM
<- Sums it up

Re: Stock Fuel System isn't enough...

I have herd of that happening before. That's what prompted me to put in a fuel pressure gauge three weeks ago.

My fuel pressure drops from 64 to 56 in both 120 and 140 with my stock AB injectors. I am going to larger sticks tomorrow. I don't trust the stock fuel systems either. Last night I picked up the regulator, fittings and hose. I am picking up the filters from Napa today for my fuel bowl delete. Now I have to select a pump for the system and git-r-done.

Keep Strokin'

Early99 CC LWB 4X4
Updated B codes, Modded H2E, Big oil, half filled block, studded, John Wood 4R100. 232K miles
Tows like a champ!

"Damn Larry, he passed us like a freight train passing a hobo!"
--Lisa P.

Just sold to Larry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2-17-2019: 97 CC LWB 4X4 7.3 with full banks kit, John Wood E4OD. 139K miles
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:36 PM
PSN Local

In the past month, I've noticed my truck doing the same thing. It didn't used to do it. I've done all the usual fuel system mods (regulated return, in-tank & pre-pump mods), would a lift pump help?

02 CC 4x4. AFE stage 2, Magnaflow 4" exhaust, BTS tranny, live-tuned by Jody, AC singles, DI regulated return, Terminator HPOP, DR 4.5" lift & some other stuff...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 PM
The Unseen Mod

Send a message via AIM to RescueF250

Sand nut and rockin check out the promo video in the sponsors section for Terminator Engineering.

03 Rescue is Dead

08 Rescue - No Limit Fab, MPD, Rescue Diesel, Barder Turbo, Fuel Lab, H&S products.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
HP Junky

I'm going to be running two stock pumps parallel with each other. Hopefully that will keep up with the demands.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
PSN Veteran

My FASS system is holding 60 at WOT finally.

2006 F350 Lariat Tow Boss W/training wheels.

SCT W/GH's tunes, ARP's, Blk & Heads milled, Strictly RR and aux coolant lines, 6" Aussies, Snow MPG-Max, BPD: VK688,EGR, W/Pump, and FICM, Coolant filt, Train Horns, CTS (Monitor only) + Autometer backups

RIP Muley 9-25-09
Keep on Honkin' Jerry 04-05-10
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
HP Junky

I'm glad you got yours working right Fiona...how do you like it? Your truck has pretty much the same set-up as mine will...
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 12:25 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinJW View Post
I finally installed an in-cab fuel pressure gauge last night. My results actually surprised me. I've got the ITP regulated return system, but for right now the rest of the system is stock. This is on the stock AD's as well.

In my 120 and 140 programs, from an idle if I floor it, my pressure drops clear down to 20psi instantly. It's around 40psi when it shifts to second then slowly climbs to 60.

When the trucks already moving if I floor it, pressure slowly drops from 65psi to around 55psi.

So I definately need to get my fuel system done becasue the mini me's go in this weekend.
I believe the stock pump could nearly keep up if you eliminated the restrictions in the fuel system pre-pump. Use a larger diameter fuel pickup or ream out the OEM tubes and use 3/8" i.d. fuel hose or larger. I have very little restriction pre-pump and my stock pump can keep up with the fuel (2psi drop from 72 psi at idle) required with my EH'd AC injectors at WOT!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Some Kinda Diesel Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinJW View Post

So I definately need to get my fuel system done becasue the mini me's go in this weekend. Just thought I'd let you guys know, maybe it's something to look at. I would've never imagined it would do that with stock injectors, but it does...
Just some heads up...I've been chaising a fuel pressure loss issue that suddenly hit me out of no where. I used to NOT lose pressure then all of a sudden I'm getting zero fuel pressure on BOTH guages and truck runs like ####. I replaced filters multiple times, removed Dahl completely, even changed fuel pump. This past weekend, I disconnected the hose from the dahl and blew compressed air through the pickup into the tank...problem appears to be solved. Found a bunch of gunk in my clear Dahl fuel bowl after the blow. Apparently trash was plugging up the pick-up tube. The truck runs so much better now. So I suggest reverse blowing your pick-up.

Hammer

2002 Corvette Z06...my Auto-X, track car, and play toy
2001 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3PSD...daily driver
2000 BMW 328i...another daily driver for the GF
1997 Yamaha YZF1000R
1995 Volvo WIA-64TTES w/ Cummins N14-500hp/1750 ft/lbs
1994 Chevy Camaro Z28...will be selling soon
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehammer69 View Post
Just some heads up...I've been chaising a fuel pressure loss issue that suddenly hit me out of no where. I used to NOT lose pressure then all of a sudden I'm getting zero fuel pressure on BOTH guages and truck runs like ####. I replaced filters multiple times, removed Dahl completely, even changed fuel pump. This past weekend, I disconnected the hose from the dahl and blew compressed air through the pickup into the tank...problem appears to be solved. Found a bunch of gunk in my clear Dahl fuel bowl after the blow. Apparently trash was plugging up the pick-up tube. The truck runs so much better now. So I suggest reverse blowing your pick-up.

Hammer

Glad that worked for ya hammie!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode