Q's with guys about 6spd & dp - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
<--before leveler & block

Q's with guys about 6spd & dp

Well i got my dp tuner installed today that i ordered from ITP and im really liking it so far. I got stock, 40tow, 60econo, and 120r. The pedal is VERY smooth and is not very smokey. I barely get a haze in 40 and 60 and a little bit of a cloud in 120.

One thing i had a question about is when im accelerating quickly in the 120r and let off to shift it seems like the engine knocks for a split second. This only happens right when i let off the gas to shift and that is the anly time. It also doesn't do iot in any other tun but the 120r.

We got a foot of snow last night and 6in the previous night along with the night before that so the roads are wayyyy bad and i had to cut my dp test drive short. Also didn't get to see how well it runs since its so slick. I need more driving time with good roads to see exactly what is going on here.

It doesn't seem like a big problem its just noticeable and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? Other than this, the tunes are very good. Thanks in advance

2000 7.3 F-250 4x4 CC/SB Lariat 6-speed, 2.5" leveler and F350 block, Swamps 200/30% injectors, Swamps tunes, GTP-38R, Valair: kevlar/ceramic clutch, 4inch exhaust, AFE stage 2,
DFA-regulated return, pre-pump mods, Isspro boost and pyro, scan gauge, ~420hp and 836tq
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Q's with guys about 6spd & dp

Be very careful with those noises. I would NOT run any tune that made an audible knock.

2008 F-250 SCLB Larait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 PM
PSN Local

is it a knock or kinda whoosh/ping sound if so then its just your builing more boost in the 120r setting than the other settings and it letting it off when clutch is disengaged

2006 f-250 ext cab swb, 127,000mi, Egr delete, 4" tb exhaust, edge juice w/ cs.

Ryan

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 AM
PSN Local

but as far as a KNOCK i have no clue mine doesn't and hasn't ever done that

Ryan
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Well it sure could be a woosh ping sound but i certainly didn't hear the woosh part of it. It seems like it kinda knocks though. To be sure i would have to drive it where i can get good traction so i can really get the boost built up and see. I can break traction loose in 4th gear in 4wd no problem in these conditions. I may have to talk to ITP diesel or Jody if it is a knock.

I just dont understand why it does it for maybe .5 seconds right when i let off the throttle after acclerating somewhat hard. Otherwise it wont do it if im driving and shifting like normal.

Just when i get into the throttle fairly hard and let off. Otherewise there is no other differences in sounds in any of the tunes compared to stock. All is great but i was just wondering your guys thoughts/experiences on this little sound of some sort.

2000 7.3 F-250 4x4 CC/SB Lariat 6-speed, 2.5" leveler and F350 block, Swamps 200/30% injectors, Swamps tunes, GTP-38R, Valair: kevlar/ceramic clutch, 4inch exhaust, AFE stage 2,
DFA-regulated return, pre-pump mods, Isspro boost and pyro, scan gauge, ~420hp and 836tq
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 AM
PSA

its probably a "wooshing"...

does it do it in every gear or more so 3rd and 4th...and sometimes 2nd?
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

wished i could tell ya! i need to drive it again to test these things. I know it does it in 3rd not sure about the rest though haha.

post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 AM
PSN Local

i would almost bet that its the turbo dropping boost i have 6" mitre's in my truck and it sound like a big loud ping sound almost and then more of a whoosh at the end.

when u drive it again roll down both of your passenger side windows keeeping the drivers side up and get on it and build about 15-20 pounds of boost and push in the clutch and listen out the window..with the window down you will hear it coming from the exhaust(if so then it is normal..if not check into it more thourghly)bc when ever you build boost and then drop it by pushing in the clutch all the air you are building stops and is like a air compressor building air and when it get the tank full it lets out the excess air thourgh the vavle.

so what i'm trying to say within all that is that if you can hear a loud almost ping noise out of the exhaust it is good to go you don't have to worry about it.

hope that is a lil bit helpful
ryan

Ryan
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:49 AM
PSN Local

knocking, if thats what it is, is not good for pistons. Dont do it

2001 PSD DP Tuner, John Wood VB, International Up Pipes, 4" TBE, BHAF.

1994 CTD BHAF, no plate, 3GSK, Star wheel cranked, BD VB, Luke's Link, 4" exhaust, SDX 5x14 injectors,BD Super B (s300) turbo.

I like all Diesel trucks
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 AM
PSN Local

I have the same thing going on with my truck. I talked to Dennis about it about a year ago, who then talked to Jody.
Here is Jody's response:
"Nothing to worry about if you watch it with the scan tool I am very
aggressive with the ICP pressures and they increase when you quickly let off
of the throttle and then once the IPR responds they will come down."
Jody also said he could tame this noise a little, but it would hurt bottom end power.
I have been driving mine with this condition for about 2 years now, and haven't had any problems. I have verified the spike in ICP during the shift with a scantool. It is definitely an uncomfortable noise, but it is just the effects of high ICP. Its a rare case because there are not that many manual transmission trucks that are tuned.
Once you have traction to do a full test drive, i bet you will also notice a jump in the RPM when you hear this noise.

Kevin
00 F250 7.3 Ex Cab LB, 6-spd, South Bend Con-O, DP Tuning, Casserly 230/80% Hybrids, GTP38R, Reg. Return, AutoMeter Boost/Pyro/Fuel Press, MBRP 4", Napa 6637, ITP OBA, 04 Headlights, Ranch Hand Rear
04 F250 6.0 CC SB, SCT with tunes by Elite, MBRP 4", Isspro Boost/Pyro, Warn manual hubs
92 Bronco
75 Jeep CJ-5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/14-7-3l-power-stroke-aftermarket-performance/50431-qs-guys-about-6spd-dp.html
Posted By For Type Date
50% throttle feels the same as 100%>weak hpop? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum This thread Refback 01-20-2016 11:22 PM