Filling Block After machine work??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Got Bost???

Filling Block After machine work???

I recently bought a fully built engine with the exception of it being filled. Has a full girdle to the pan rails and all the other good stuff inside. Now the last thing I want is to split the block and Im wondering if it would be a good idea to fill it to help with flex.

Im looking for 7-800 on fuel with my set of compounds and some 400/600's.

95 Ex. Cab Long Bed 4x4. Built.

01 Ex. Cab Long Bed Dually 4x4 6 Speed. Intake, Exhaust, Super Chips Tuned
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tow Mule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage
Re: Filling Block After machine work???

ooooffph...

definitely not the order to do it....

I would say take all of your pre-assembly measurements with your dial bore gauge...cylinder bore diameters top bottom, L to R & F to B...see if the cyls are egged at all...

then torque a cylinder head to the block and remeasure w/ dial bore gauge.

if the cylinders get "rounder" (and/or less tapered) with the head tq'd on the block..then you might be able to get by with a hone after filling and it curing WITH a head or deckplate bolted to it...

if the machine shop didn't bore & hone with a deckplate...then the cylinders will probably get 'worse' (out of round & tapered) WITH a head on it...which means that you'll have to bore & hone to straighten them out...but you probably already have pistons..........

check your measurements with & w/o a head (or deckplate) bolted on...and if the cyls move a lot (>.001)...then I would fill it

good luck.

Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Got Bost???

Thanks, the engine is all assembled and ready to go. I realy dont want to take it all appart, but then again I dont want to split it either. It has been line honed with the girdle on it already, so I assume this may be a problem as well. Also this is still the stock bore.

On the other hand if stock internal engines can go 6-700, I would think 7-800 would be ok with a full girdle etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tow Mule

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Plays with Motors

It won't be a problem to add the concrete now if you pulled the heads and leveled it out, not the ideal situation, but only on the most finicky thin wall SBC blocks have I seen it be a problem.

The mix is designed to expand at the same rate as the cast iron, it does to a certain extent but whether you fill before or after machine work the concrete still causes distortions that wouldn't be there if the block was not filled. They get worse as the block gets up to temp, but that's the trade-off for having a more stable bore - the hope is that the gains from eliminating cylinder wall flex and "maybe" helping the bottom end some outweighs the bad.

2011 335i M-Sport
2000 F-250 7.3L ( Sold )
1966 Mustang Fastback

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 AM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

If Machinist says it's all good...then it's allll goood.

I'd fill it..let the chit cure with a head bolted to it, and roll on...

I just don't see how you're going to get away with cleaning it as well as it should if it is allll assembled.

I'd get a coolant filter kit, and a fewwwww extra filters...and swap those bishes out every couple hundred miles and take a peek to see when it quits catching flakes. Probably save you an oil cooler down the road.

take care~

Dave
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Banning Smut

Coolant filter is a GREAT idea.

Dieselsite has a nice clean simple external filter. Real easy to mount on the frame rail.

|
|
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Got Bost???

With that said would it be worth while to do, or should everything be ok? There is no dispute it stiffens the walls, but is it needed in my case?

Tow Mule
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:23 AM
PSN Veteran

HMMM full girdle to the pan rails..... I only know of one other motor or so that has that girdle....

1999.5 Brugundy/Black CC 4x4 Dually BTS, IH DTA360 conversion completed

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Got Bost???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipewhiner View Post
HMMM full girdle to the pan rails..... I only know of one other motor or so that has that girdle....
Well gotta add another to the list

Tow Mule
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:39 AM
Pulling sled for hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipewhiner View Post
I only know of one other motor or so that has that girdle....
Different girdle from that engine, IIRC.

Justin

'97 F-250 - 255k
463 hp - 7-9-09
BDP/Casserly Stage 2's, Mod H2E, Stealth Stage 2, BDP fuel system, Comp 910s, 7.3 ic, live tuned by Jonathan @ BDP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode