would the GDS FUEL PRESSURE SPRING be a good mod for me? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

would the GDS FUEL PRESSURE SPRING be a good mod for me?

i was on ebay and was looking at the gds fuel pressure spring and i was wondering if it would be a good mod for my 01 7.3. it says

GDS FUEL PRESSURE SPRING

Now letís look at a simple and cheap upgrade that is often overlooked when adding performance upgrades, the fuel pressure spring. The stock fuel pressure spring runs about 60-80psi of fuel pressure, give or take some depending how long it has been run and the condition of the pump. This may be sufficient for a stock motor, but on stock applications looking for better performance and especially if any performance upgrades have been added, an increase in fuel pressure can add both power and drivability. This power is noticeable mostly at the bottom end, and right off the line where fuel pressure is at its lowest.

The GDS Fuel Pressure Spring differs from the stock spring in two ways. The first is in fuel pressure. It raises fuel pressure from the stock 60-80psi which usually comes out to be about 65psi, up to 90-110psi which usually comes out to be about 95psi. The second difference in the GDS and stock spring is in pressure loss due to cyclic fatigue. The stock spring loses about 25% of its spring tension in 10,000 cycles. The GDS spring loses about 1% to 5% of its spring tension in 1,000,000 cycles. Not bad for a $15.00 upgrade that can be installed in 15 minutes!

2001 f350 xlt 4x4 ex. cab dually 8 ft bed
7.3 powerstroke
automatic
Garrett GTP38R turbo
4in turbo back straight pipes to 6in stacks
s and b intake
Ts 6 position tuner
Banks gauges
05 conversion
19.5's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: would the GDS FUEL PRESSURE SPRING be a good mod for me?

there are some real issues with all of that. Sure it is for 7.3? You normally want fuel psi set to 65 even with the big HP engines. Maybe a bit more (no more than 70) but certainly not the range that is describing. With our injector system its more about flow rate than pressure. It only needs to have enough psi to refill the injector fast enough for it to be ready to fire again. Oil psi is what actually injects the fuel into the cylinder.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thanks alot for the reply i figured that it wouldnt be good with the high psi they were talking about

2001 f350 xlt 4x4 ex. cab dually 8 ft bed
7.3 powerstroke
automatic
Garrett GTP38R turbo
4in turbo back straight pipes to 6in stacks
s and b intake
Ts 6 position tuner
Banks gauges
05 conversion
19.5's

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 PM
PSN Veteran

If you really want to control fuel pressure, get a regulated return or try plumb in a real regulator. This crap gives you higher fuel pressure. How much, who can say.

01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM
A Ghost these days...

You would be better off getting one of these...
Fuel Pressure Regulator Booster Housing

Not too long ago, I read on CompD that Charles made around 630hp in his 7.3L with the fuel pressure set at around 40 psi IIRC. I dont know if the increased fuel pressure helps things or not.....

how to get more fuel pressure on a 7.3 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

Rockin' Out with some help from: Alpine / Rockford Fosgate / Memphis / Infinity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode