Freeze Plug - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Busy Busy

Freeze Plug

What is their actual purpose in the block? Dom, Aaron and I were talking about how many cummins have blown them.

443.553.9234 - 410.392.3262

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 Platinum - 11.62 @ 115.76 on Nitrous
2007 F250 - 10.916 @ 122.86 on Fuel
2005 F450 - Tow Bitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Freeze Plug

their actual purpose is to remove the sand from the casting proccess when making the block.

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Busy Busy

That's what I thought?

So is there a reason they can't be threaded and plugged?

Might have saved Snow White

443.553.9234 - 410.392.3262

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 Platinum - 11.62 @ 115.76 on Nitrous
2007 F250 - 10.916 @ 122.86 on Fuel
2005 F450 - Tow Bitch

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM
PSN Veteran

they are to relieve pressure in the event of your coolant freezing so that it does not crack the block. As long as your coolant is mixed properly you shouldnt have any problems

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
PSN Veteran

What luke said.

cummins pop the rear freeze plug because they have poor coolant circulation and develop hot spots(esp since the rear cyls run hotter on a common rail) and thus develop pressure and pop. Some also think the water pumps pump too much at higher rpms and develop pressure as well.

Freeze plugs can be pinned or tapped or various diffrent things.

on edit, i doubt those woule have saved snow white, if i remember correctly the block cracked, freeze plugs flying out were a side effect.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 PM
HRT Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie View Post
What luke said.

cummins pop the rear freeze plug because they have poor coolant circulation and develop hot spots(esp since the rear cyls run hotter on a common rail) and thus develop pressure and pop. Some also think the water pumps pump too much at higher rpms and develop pressure as well.

Freeze plugs can be pinned or tapped or various diffrent things.

There are several people that have installed threaded plugs and pinned plugs on Cummins engines. There are freeze plugs under the valve covers that IMHO should be tapped and plugged. Many run a plate that covers the back plug and hold it in place. One issue is the belt driven water pumps with higher RPMs. they generate too much pressure in the block and cause some of these issues. That is why many people have "clipped" water pumps or electric water pumps.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecline View Post
they are to relieve pressure in the event of your coolant freezing so that it does not crack the block. As long as your coolant is mixed properly you shouldnt have any problems
I was always told this is a side effect, and freeze plugs DO NOT always save a block from freezing- I have seen or heard of more than a few blocks that were cracked anyway.

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
That's what I thought?

So is there a reason they can't be threaded and plugged?

Might have saved Snow White
another reason a high hp motor may blow a plug is due to the block flexing and the plug being pressed in, some of the above methods may help to not have a problem on the track assuming the motor is in one piece on the big end.

Quote:
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 PM
All done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedge8 View Post
I was always told this is a side effect, and freeze plugs DO NOT always save a block from freezing- I have seen or heard of more than a few blocks that were cracked anyway.
I have always been told the same thing, they are casting plugs to empty the sand after making the block. They may or may not save the block from breaking if it freezes.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 PM
OBS junkie

So what are we thinking Marty, big pipe plugs?

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode