Wix Fuel Filters for 7.3 Design Issue? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Wix Fuel Filters for 7.3 Design Issue?

So when I replaced my fuel bowl drain valve in Gus the other day the only filter I could come up with was the Wix in the pinch I was in. So i noticed that it doesn't have the water seperator layer, supposedly the main filter element has water separator treatment. That's not what bothers me.

What bothers me is the fact that the bottom of the filter is open and appears that if there is sediment in the bottom of the bowl or the lower oring on the filter fails, crap can bypass the filter altogether and make it's way into the clean portion of the filter. I just glanced at it before i put it it so I didn't even think about it until after I was under way.

Has anyone else taken a closer look at this filter and thought about the consequences of such a design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 01:35 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Wix Fuel Filters for 7.3 Design Issue?

I was looking for cheaper filters. Dammm glad I found the racors for 17 bux and loaded up. I dont wanna get stuck wondering like that.

2002 F-250 SD Lariat CC 4x4
7.3L automatic.
Underdash gauge pod with ISSPRO gauges.
Zoodad.
AIH delete.
DIY Tymar filter.
Sonnax Kit.
4" turbo back straight exhaust and 4-6" Silverline chrome tip.
20" wheels with 32x12.5 Toyo MT's
'08 aluminum rear diff cover.
SOLID AXLE front cover.
A/C Mod
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Have not had any complaints sold a ton of them.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljay View Post
Have not had any complaints sold a ton of them.
is it possible for sediment in the bowl or a failing lower oring to allow trash in the "clean" side of the filter? Why is it open around the center seal at the bottom? it seems like a pointless modification to me....
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Freedom is not free

Just to clarify:

Your talking about thw Wix 33818, right?

2003 F250, Wildman tunes, Faubion trns, Swamps 175/146 SS,van turbo/WW, DI Intercooler, oilguard bypass, intank & pre-pump, reg return, Firestone air bags, Bilsteins, 350 HP/692 TQ
2000 Excursion- Pwrd by: T Wildman 6 pos chip, CT Performance Suspension, Riffraff Diesel Performance, J&M Tranny, 4" MBRP, 6637 filter, intank/prepump mods
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 03:41 AM
SD NEWB

thats the one im using. Havent checked it since I put it in

03 Superduty 7.3 4x4 very much stock for now
84 m1009 6.2 4 inch lift on 33's {---sold it /tear
72 scout 345/727 stock
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 AM
PSN Local

That is the type filter used originally on the early 7.3 PSDs. The redesigned filter with the "white skirt" came out sometime later, I think around the year 2000.

Early 99 F-250 XLT Extended Cab 4x2. XLE4 PCM, BTS Transmission, pre pump fuel filter,CCV Mod, DIY TYMAR, Coolant Filter, 48 Gal Transfer Flow Mid-Ship Fuel Tank
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 AM
PSN Veteran

I do not beleive that the open bottom actually by-passes the inner filter media. I could be wrong and if that is the case then it would seem that failure of the o-ring would then indeed allow a bypass to occur. You would need to cut open the filter to be sure. My reason for not thinking it does allow a bypass of the media is: The one I replaced when I bought my most recent 7.3 Excursion had the same desinged filter in it and I tore it apart a part of seeing how bad it was clogged full of crap. I seem to recall it was sealed inside around the that center shaft/tube section. The issue is I can not say with certainty that it was a WIX filter. What I do know is until I get this new system on and remove the bowl I will use only RACOR and or AFE's. I drain, change it, and clean out the bowl with every oil change. Very cheap insurance IMO.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr66 View Post
is it possible for sediment in the bowl or a failing lower oring to allow trash in the "clean" side of the filter? Why is it open around the center seal at the bottom? it seems like a pointless modification to me....
Not too sure Matt I was looking at it one day and wanted to get ahold of a wix rep and ask some questions just never did. People ask and I like having answers instead of IDK ! The mastergaurd filter is alittle different but I do not remember who makes it. I had issue with a few of the wix lid/filters and the threads were jacked had to go and get one off an older gent. got stuck on his truck in the parking lot,I warranteed it out and swaped it for him never had another issue but with that one.
Baldwin and racor (racor being the oe supplier) make the best drop in style where you use the stock lid over, fricken wix quit offering it that way at least thats what it says in the cataloge I had.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:52 AM
PSN Veteran

The carquest one now has the top attached as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode