What to do, what to do - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

What to do, what to do

When I bought my Powerstroke 3 years ago I was an avid gasser builder. I have built 500 HP 2.3 turbo Merkurs and Turbo Coupes, 600 HP procharged 5.0's ect. My last creation was a near 300 hp turbo GSXR 1000. When I built every one of these things I knew exactly what I wanted from the get go. I always banged them out as time and money made themselves available. I always had a shop with every tool and cnc machine known to man. I moved to Virginia and have none of the benefits any longer. I also noticed that my plans for my EX have changed at least a dozen times. I am starting to get frustrated. I LOVE my EX and will not sell it, but I really want to have a unique goal that I will be happy with as I was with all my other builds.

So I want power, who doesn't, but how do you go about it. I like the 7.3 but for the money I could build a nasty 12 valve.

What about a 6.4 in my EX, sounds fun right, this is where I am leaning.

But there are so many things coming out for the 7.3, should I wait and go the way that blowby and the others have.Or wait for the Common Rail stuff.

I would love you guys opinions, I really hate doing things twice. I really would like to have a plan and then go for it.

Thanks in advance for any input you all have!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
PSN Local

Re: What to do, what to do

There are a couple venders that are building the 6.4 fueling into a 7.3....I am waiting for that.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I like the idea of a common rail 7.3. But it will be a while before the cost will be ideal to the benefits.

I can get a crashed 08 an up 6.4 for around 10 grand and have all the extra parts like axles and such that will save me bones in the end.

Thanks for the input Pilot.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:11 PM
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"

well if you did go the 12v,what kind of horsepower would you be going for?I assume you want it streetable right or even daily driver status,not just racing or pulling.I know 12v are really smokey once you get up there in power but how high of horsepower can you go with a 12v before it gets to smokey to drive around?thats one thing to think about.But I'm a fan for the 6.4 or 12v really.

2004 f250 egr delete,studded,fass 95,suncoast convertor,itp RR,Banks intercooler,58v tuned ficm,Powermax turbo,Matts tunes,6in Icon and 35 toyos 20x12 fuels
Early 99 exlb 4wd-SOLD All Shaeffer oil
Will Iott -8/24/84-7/4/10 "We miss you buddy"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

My HP goals change. So to be honest I would really want what ever is going to be the most streetable with the most HP. I would love to have my EX on 37's in the low 12 second range. I know that this is possible with the 7.3. Unbrokens 5.9 truck is a another example, a really nice show type truck. Not having to worry about weight at all, and be able to really stomp it out at the track if I felt the urge.

I may just have to wait it all out and see what the stock bottom ends take in the 6.4 and what the common rail 7.3 stuff turns out. I just really like to have a forward moving project and the EX seems to be stalled out right now because of my indecision.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 PM
It wasn't me

You could start by upgrading everything else that will be required when you get the HP. Tranny, suspension...

Newman
A few Fords
Special Thanks to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Yeah, I have done 2 different suspensions on this thing, and I think that I might actually lower it a little. I have a custom 4 link in the back that just needs to be welded on, but I am not sure if it the geometry is correct, so I have yet to finish it yet. If I go with a 6.4 I will also put the 5r110 behind it because it seems like a stout tranny. If i go the 6.4 way I also want to go to a coil over in the front with a dana 60, which will also come from the donor truck. Sounds more and more like that is the way to go. Glad I held off on all the internals I was just about to order for the 7.3.

Good ideas bro!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Instead of going coil over why not swap out the 05 front axle complete. That gets you the dana 60 and coil spring with the availability of all the 05 up lift selections etc.. You also get better turning and slightly better braking as well. For coil over the one I here the best about is the one by Full Traction Suspension. They offer 6" 8" 10" IIRC.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Thanks for the info. You are right on point. I will be using the donor trucks axle and with it the brakes and such. I really like coil overs, but it may have to wait till the truck actually runs. So I think you guys have convinced me to go with the 6.4.

Time to find a truck then.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:30 PM
ARMY bound

Good luck and keep us updated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode