Thanks to DP Tuner I got pulled over today! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
BLCKOUT

Send a message via AIM to bigcountry250
Thanks to DP Tuner I got pulled over today!

Thanks to the badass tunes Jody burned me (140extreme!) I got pulled today and the trooper said he pulled me because my truck produced an Excess amout of annoying black smoke! He was like "I think something is wrong with your truck" I just smiled and said thanks I'll check it out!

So thanks DP-Tuner ya'll are the best!!!

PS he didn't ticket me.

2011 CC SB 6.7L Powerstroke

BLACKOUT.... gone but never forgotten!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:16 AM
all ur OBS r belong to me

Send a message via MSN to OldschoolPSD
Re: Thanks to DP Tuner I got pulled over today!

'round here they write you a ticket for excessive smoke, they you have to go to the emmisions station where they put a light measuring thing on your pipe.

Don't ask me how I know

Ford stopped building trucks in 1997

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:44 AM

Here in WA, your allowed to exceed #1 on the Ringleman Smoke Chart for 10 seconds.

However, they have another law that says they can nail you for obscuring an intersection/right of way.

One way or the other, they have ways of getting you.

We are required to get diesel smoke checked every 2 years in various parts of Washington state. We are allowed up to 40% smoke as measured by their light sensor.

I'd love to roll in there with a set of monster injectors and the laggiest POS turbo I could get my hands on and just *FILL* the entire place with smoke.

THen say "oops" and turn the chip to a "no smoke" setting .

The test is called a "Snap Test" and they make you redline the motor a couple times in a idle-redline-idle snap on the throttle pedal to check for smoke output without boost.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:50 AM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

They make you redline it, as in hit the rev limiter?

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 03:56 AM

yup. Foot to the floor to the rev limiter, bounce it once or twice on the limiter, then back to idle.

They do it like 3 times, and if no smoke, or under 40%, then away you go.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 04:02 AM

A 2x4 under the pedal helps the snap test. That and an "emissions" friendly tune from Jody.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
BLCKOUT

Send a message via AIM to bigcountry250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Forgotton View Post
yup. Foot to the floor to the rev limiter, bounce it once or twice on the limiter, then back to idle.

They do it like 3 times, and if no smoke, or under 40%, then away you go.
Dang man! There's no way in hell I would let them purposly bounce my motor off the rev limiter like that!

If they ever made me gett tested I'd just turn the chip down back to stock or maybe 80 or hell even take it out.

2011 CC SB 6.7L Powerstroke

BLACKOUT.... gone but never forgotten!!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 04:30 AM
<<<<< Next Generation

Yeah that Snap test is scary,Do it on the tractors at work.

N.E. Terminator Tech

2000 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 LWB Auto
DP-Tuner F5, Terminator HPOP, QSSB, ITP's fuel system, BTS trans.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 04:35 AM

It won't hurt the engine, that is why diesel have governors. When the HEUI engines first came out most engine oil manufactures and blenders did not have enough anti-foam additives in the oil which caused all sorts of runability problems. Navistar sent a service letter that had you test for aeration by holding the engine on governor for IIRC 3 minuets.

Most likely you would have no choice but to turn the chip down or you would fail the opacity test. The 2x4 under the pedal consistently lowers the RPM you can achieve giving the tester a false governor and you won't get full fuel.

To test air brake systems for DOT inspect we have to build air from empty takes to governor cutout in 5 minuets or less at full throttle. So, you hold full throttle until the governor cuts out when the air tanks are full. Doesn't hurt the engine, it's best to do it after the engine, coolant and oil are up to temp though.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Bouncing on the rev limiter can hurt a head gasket. Just ask david, he winces every time I do it.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode