Can I build my own D66 turbo???? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Can I build my own D66 turbo????

I know the BD D66 turbo is already a fair deal, but is there anything I can do to get my early 99 turbo close to D66 specs? Mine is currently stock and working fine, but I want an upgrade pretty soon. Are there any parts out there to upgrade mine? Obviously the parts would have to be significantly cheaper than a new turbo to make this worthwhile. Eventually I will be upgrading my sticks(have the stock AB's still ) I will be getting AD's or stage 1's nothing to aggressive. Just checking, thanks.

Early 99 (build 04/98) F250 XLT Supercab, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, 4R100, SRW, 6637 DIY intake, 4" TB exhaust, RCD leveling kit, 05 front facelift, 05 tow mirrors, 05 body badging, 05 Dash, Body molding delete, Difuser headlight harness, 20x10 XD Diesels(black), 305/55/20's, Stainless brake lines, Updated PCM, White face gauge overlay, 2002 seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 AM
Senior Veteran Member

Garage
Re: Can I build my own D66 turbo????

I would like to know also.

Centxdiesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F250 XL SC, 512HP 1019TQ,
30% nozzle Hybrids from [email protected]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adrenaline, Beans D-66,Beans E-Fuel,Valair Ceramic-Kevlar clutch.

Awesome Tuning by: Matt: from:

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:21 AM
Sponsor

Sorry. No can do! Compressor housings have a major tendency to come apart unless you use the right one... On top of that you'd have to find a good source for the compressor wheels... I believe that they also use a better bearing as well...

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:52 AM
2Cruel

The Compressor wheel can be readily bought, Some machine work needs to be done to the backing plate and the compressor housing it is definatly not a direct wheel swap, but very doable, I have done several of them with great results

Travis

MPH Enterprises
2L Motorsports
SWAMPS Extreme Powerstroke Performance

Powerstroke Everywhere
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 04:18 AM
PSN Local

So I take it this was cost effective for you Travis?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 06:40 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremph View Post
The Compressor wheel can be readily bought, Some machine work needs to be done to the backing plate and the compressor housing it is definatly not a direct wheel swap, but very doable, I have done several of them with great results

Travis
And which compressor wheel would that be?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Death Row Inmate #7

wonder if majestic turbo can do the machining to the backing plate and what they would charge to do it.. i would also like to know what wheel and where did you get them?

Travis
1995 F-250 SC 2wd zf-5
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 PM
PSN Veteran

Its a hybrid turbo. It uses some gt38r parts, stock turbo parts, and some custom work to bolt it all together.

I believe the Super 66 is basically a Van Turbo. Which has a larger turbine wheel and turbine housing. Supposedly it has better bearings and a larger shaft also. And then you throw a 38r compressor wheel on the cold side with modifications to your stock compressor housing, or use a different backing plate and use a 38r compressor housing.

Just some info I gathered in the couple of years I've been around here, I have never actually built one so I may be wrong on a couple of things. I know there are differences with whatever turbo you start with. I think I would start with a Van turbo or an OBS truck turbo. Guys with an early 99, not sure what you gotta do to modify yours.

It will probably be easier to buy a sponsors turbo, so if you have problems you can get it warrantied.

For Sale: 2000 F350, black cc sb 4x4
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Caption This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jngreen View Post
Supposedly it has better bearings and a larger shaft also.
I don't know what a D66 has but a SD turbo and a Van turbo use the same shaft and bearings.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
I don't know what a D66 has but a SD turbo and a Van turbo use the same shaft and bearings.
thats why I said "supposedly". It has beed advertised as bigger shaft and better bearings.

Maybe there are some pieces to the puzzle that I'm missing, maybe not.

For Sale: 2000 F350, black cc sb 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode