Budget power buld? LOL - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Budget power buld? LOL

Just a quick question that might involve a long answer. I've been around for a bit, but wasn't too interested in going for big power builds, I was just planning a chip and call it good.

But I now find myself surrounded by a bunch of cummins and duramax's and the lone ford. Some of them are bigger numbers than I want to go, but I still want to earn some respect for my ford.

Whats the best budget minded mods to go with to get above 500hp. The higher the better with keeping the budget in mind. I think I'm planning on an adrenaline pump, RR, but I'm lost on injectors and turbo. I want a good, reliable over 500 truck. This is mostly a DD that hauls my family, but occasionally will haul a car trailer or enclosed trailer, and a TT in the future.

I have to haul the motor out to do a pan in the next few months, so trying to come up with a plan of action before doing so. I'll be throwing forged rods in while the motor is out.

And to add a second mindset in there, what could I spend a lil more on to get better results?

The other thought, is to sell both my 7.3's and buy a 6.4, and spend 2g's and call it a day? (this would be painful, I love my ex)

2001 excursion 4x4, with some stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motownfire View Post
Well if it flies, floats or f+!ks it's cheaper to rent it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 05:08 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker
Re: Budget power buld? LOL

1st of make sure that 01 has forged rods.

Then I would go with 238cc hybrids with 80 or 100% nozzles. Now a turbo is a different story. I'm doing over 500 with a 38r but I have slightly ported heads. You could get close but not over. Someone else will chime in for a turbo.

And I would do Headstuds, Push rods, and valve springs as well. Also you will have to have a built tranny and good tuning.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_stroker View Post
1st of make sure that 01 has forged rods.

Then I would go with 238cc hybrids with 80 or 100% nozzles. Now a turbo is a different story. I'm doing over 500 with a 38r but I have slightly ported heads. You could get close but not over. Someone else will chime in for a turbo.

And I would do Headstuds, Push rods, and valve springs as well. Also you will have to have a built tranny and good tuning.
we'll check, but if not, I'll be throwing forged rods in.

Pushrods and springs are a cheap safety factor for me, so those will be a gimmie. Headstuds was a thought, but which ones? Arp's are well known, but I heard another manu had stronger studs.

238cc hybrids, are rosewood DIY stage 3's just regular stage 3's, or are those hybrids? I looked it over, but couldn't really tell. I saw someone recommend a 38r with a 1.15 housing, but then saw someone else say another turbo was same money, and would provide better results.

This whole turbo/injector combo thing has me puzzled.

Built tranny is already in there. Have 30k miles on it, now she's ready for some abuse before warranty is up.

2001 excursion 4x4, with some stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motownfire View Post
Well if it flies, floats or f+!ks it's cheaper to rent it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:07 AM
PSN Veteran

238cc with 80's or 100's
Modded H2e or 38r
Full Fuel System
Adrenaline Hpop (if yours is weak, a good 17* will oil hybrids fine)
Studs, Springs

You will be sitting right at 500 if not a tad over

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 AM
dinnerbooter treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke7.3 View Post
238cc with 80's or 100's
Modded H2e or 38r
Full Fuel System
Adrenaline Hpop (if yours is weak, a good 17* will oil hybrids fine)
Studs, Springs

You will be sitting right at 500 if not a tad over
This is a pretty good setup and well known. I would go with the 38R if you are doing a budget build.

93 F350 Gasser
03 F250 6.0

dinnerbooter #3
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:22 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01excursion7.3 View Post
Just a quick question that might involve a long answer. I've been around for a bit, but wasn't too interested in going for big power builds, I was just planning a chip and call it good.

But I now find myself surrounded by a bunch of cummins and duramax's and the lone ford. Some of them are bigger numbers than I want to go, but I still want to earn some respect for my ford.

Whats the best budget minded mods to go with to get above 500hp. The higher the better with keeping the budget in mind. I think I'm planning on an adrenaline pump, RR, but I'm lost on injectors and turbo. I want a good, reliable over 500 truck. This is mostly a DD that hauls my family, but occasionally will haul a car trailer or enclosed trailer, and a TT in the future.

I have to haul the motor out to do a pan in the next few months, so trying to come up with a plan of action before doing so. I'll be throwing forged rods in while the motor is out.

And to add a second mindset in there, what could I spend a lil more on to get better results?

The other thought, is to sell both my 7.3's and buy a 6.4, and spend 2g's and call it a day? (this would be painful, I love my ex)
powerstroke and budget build?

whats your budget?

02 f250
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 AM
<<< Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
whats your budget?
^^^What I was wondering.

If I showed you my credit card and bank statements from the last couple years I think you'd puke. I almost did when I added it up. And I'm not over 500. Glad I have a secure job.

Like everybody is sayin though, 238's and a 38r should get you pretty close, as long as you don't skimp the supporting mods.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Village Idiot

Re: Budget power buld? LOLhp

Over 500 and budget are not good friends. Biggest problem is the. Req tranny mods.
Ie replacement....300 to 450 maybe modded tc vb coolers and filters. But 500hp and up stock parts start to snap or burn up, unless you drive easy. So figure a 4k bts
Next high dollar item are the 2+k injectors, 1-2k turbo, 500 in fuel mods, 500+ adrenaline,
Then you have rods,springs,pushrods maybe some head work.figure 2 to 3k if you do the head work.
So there is a quick 11 grand . Maybe worth waiting to see what the scorpion can do.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 09:17 AM
PSN Veteran

I am in the process of building to the same basic power levels. This is what I have come up with.

* 238 Hybrid 80% Nozzle

* Comp Cam 910 Valve Springs

* Diesel Innovations Push Rods

* H11 Head Studs ( The ones stronger than ARPs you likely are speaking of)

* DieselSite Adrenaline HPOP

* DIY Fuel System (Regulated Return): Dual SD pumps (do a search for Marty's Setup) Think Salvage Yard.

* Turbo: decide up to 500 or over. 38R up to and H2E (modded) or I really like the look of the WOP GQSSB and others speak highly of them. Its a modded S3000 by Bell Turbo

* Tuning All I can say is on this forum you have a good amount of high quality choices. I say go with whomever you get the injectors from as that may save you some $$$ Matt, Swamps, Beans, DI, .......

* Forged Rods if you end up finding PMRs

* BTS Tranny and Converter as the stock tranny would likely sh!t itself just being put into drive behind that package

* 6.0 Transmission Cooler

* Of course upgraded exhaust and air

* Plus all the little things you never count
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 03:50 PM
PSN Veteran

i say trade your stuff in on a 6.4

02 f250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode