Pre pump filter? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Milk Truck

Pre pump filter?

I have beeen having some issues with my fuelab pump since I bought it. I am trying to make sure my pre pump filter is ok to run with my pump. I am currently using a fleetguard water separator part # FS 1212. I am wondering what pre pump filters you guys are running with your fuelab pumps???

99.5 F250 cclb 4x4...modded, but looks stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 03:29 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via MSN to JuststrokeIT
Re: Pre pump filter?

I got the same filter as you and thats the filter that came withj my swamps competion fuel system so i dont think thats a problem only difference between my setup and yours is im running and Aeromotive pump and you got the fuelab

early 99 F350 Supercab longbed 4x4, Diprical gauges,GTP38R, Swamps competion fuel system with bowl delete,custom intake, 4in downpipe to 6in stacks, 200/30% hybrids from swamps, tuned by swamps, head studs.main studs, WOP cryo forged rods, ceramic coated pistons,Adrenalin HPOP,DI cam. Train horns, Ranchand front bumper DMI rear, Kumho kl71
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 AM
PSN Veteran

Can you list the symptoms you are having with the pump and what you have tried as afar as narrowing down the issue? Also your fuel setup would likely be helpful as well.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 03:51 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

I have an FS1000 pre-pump.

My first Fuelab pump burnt up, it was one of their first runs. They rebuilt mine with the parts for their new redesigned version and it seems to be pretty good now.

Does your pump have a pigtail or stud terminals? The pigtail denotes the old design.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 04:15 AM
PSN Veteran

I will be using mine with a dahl 150. Should have some info pretty soon.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Milk Truck

Ok. Here it goes. I have a fully built fuel system. Itp 5/8" pickup tube to 5/8 push loc to fleetgaurd water separator fs 1212. 5/8 to the pump. 1/2 from the pump to the post pump fuel filter. fleetguard ff 5320. 1/2" puhs loc to a y, and the 3/8 p.l. feeding the front of each head. I then have 3/8 p.l. returning from the rear of the heads to an aeromotive regulator set at 63 psi. then 3/8" p.l. returning to the tank. The return is clamped on the original pickup tube, and the return is directed away from the 5/8" pick up intank. The original return at the tank is not being used and I plugged it so no fuel splashes out. I have the pump wired according to spec I think. I am using the factory wiring to trigger the ignition to the pump. It is connected to a relay. I am running 10 gauge wiring from the positive terminal of the driver side battery. Directly going to a 30A inline fuse, and then to the relay. I then have 10 gauge wiring going to the pump. My ground wire is 10 gauge wiring going from the pump directly to the frame. I am not using a check valve. But it was reccommended recently from fuelab when I talked to them on the phone. Honest input on the way I have this system built would be appreciated as I felt I didn't cut any corners. If I missed something, let me know.

I have the pump with the studs on it. so i guess that is the new one... About 50% of the time when I turn my ingnition on, the pump will not spin up smooth like it normally does. It will spin, but it will have a lot deeper, louder tone to it. I can almost feel it through the truck. It will also show a couple psi less on my gauge. If I start my truck up when it is doing this, it will blow the inline fuse in a minute or so. As a result, I typically turn my key back off when it makes this type sound. I wait about 10 sec and then turn my ignition on again. Many times it will do it again. Sometimes up to 5-6 times in a row before it spins up properly. Which brings me to another problem that arises less often when I turn the ignition on, but has been getting worse as it gets colder. It will not spin up at all but the fuel pressure gauge will jump around from 5-25 psi. I will then turn the ignition off wait about a minute and try again. Sometimes it works right away, sometimes I have to cycle it a couple times for it to spin up properly. This makes me think the pump is cavitating but I have not been able to find where I would be able to suck air. Every thing looks t##s. This has got me thinking about the pre pump filter, but I don't think it is the problem. On to the the next problem. I cannot turn my stereo on because I can hear the pump running through my speakers. PITA with out music on a long ride. Also when I plug my cb into my cig lighter, all I hear is the pump running through the cb. Another PITA. Can't use the cb on long trips. This makes me think of a grounding issue. IDK?

Things I have done so far...I have run my stock pump in its location to see how that worked. Worked great other than holding fuel pressure at wot. It was quiet, no start up issues at all, and there is no noise coming through my speakers or cb. I have cleaned and checked my ground connection from the pump. It goes from the pump to the frame. It is about a 10 inch piece of 10 gauge wire. I have also replaced my relay with a new relay to eliminate that. No difference. I also lowered my fuel pressure at the regulator from 68 down to 63 psi. No change in pump operation.

I appreciate your guys help. This is something that has plagued me for a few months now since I got the pump.

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Milk Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
I have an FS1000 pre-pump.

My first Fuelab pump burnt up, it was one of their first runs. They rebuilt mine with the parts for their new redesigned version and it seems to be pretty good now.

Does your pump have a pigtail or stud terminals? The pigtail denotes the old design.

Dave
I was just doing some research and noticed the fs1000 flows more than the fs1212. I don't think that is the culprit, btu it something I noticed.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Busy Busy

Key point of that post. When changing nothing BUT the pump all of his problems go away and for the record, this is his second Fuelab with an issue. The Stock pump not keeping pressure at WOT is a given considering he is running 250cc injectors.

Here are some pics of the system on his truck.

443.553.9234 - 410.392.3262

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 Platinum - 11.62 @ 115.76 on Nitrous
2007 F250 - 10.916 @ 122.86 on Fuel
2005 F450 - Tow Bitch
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Milk Truck

Thanks for the picks Marty. I didn't have them.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 04:57 AM
PSN Local

Where are yall getting those blue lines?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode