question about torq converter... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

question about torq converter...

Ok here is the deal, i just recently installed some stage 1 injectors in my truck and i want the trans to last a little while i save for a rebuild and converter. I am planning a 4 1/2hr trip towing my bronco II on a trailer for a trail ride, i have a gauge, is that going to tell me if my converter is slipping? I just don't want it to break down on me. I have a wildman chip that i plan on putting in the lowest level to tow with although i have a "tow" mode i think it has to much maybe? The fluid in the trans looks great and it does have a shift kit in the trans, what brand i don't know. It shifts firm now with no slip.

Maybe I'm being a little to worried, but i don't want to be left stranded. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 01:34 AM

Re: question about torq converter...

Well, a gauge isn't going to tell you if the converter is slipping. Excessive heat would be a clue, but that can also be a lot of other things.

My suggestion is if you want the trans to last, stay out of the throttle.
You turn the chip up and in the higher settings it's going to slip every time you get on it hard. That takes its toll sooner or later.

I'm not one to talk, as I have been very hard on my mostly stock tranny, but I also know I can't cry if it breaks.
gotta pay the piper
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 01:42 AM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

If you're that worried about it I'd just keep the chip turned down until you're ready to put a converter in.

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

thanks elmo Greg rob, i plan to keep it turned down. With my old injectors i never got above 180 so i figure that would be a clue. I am saving for a DIY rebuild on it, anyone want to buy a 86 6.9l?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode