Modification questions for 99-03 7.3 Powerstroke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Modification questions for 99-03 7.3 Powerstroke

So Im about to get my first diesel truck (hopefully) and im pretty excited to join the diesel scene. It's a 2000 f250 super duty with the 7.3. It's gunna be a daily driver and i'd like to have a little more boost in power and mpg, i just have a few things im a little paranoid about. I plan on getting an S & B cold air intake, a mbrp exhaust (most like a 4inch downpipe into 5inch) and an aftermarket programmer. so far i've drawn most of my attention to the edge evolution programmer. i'm just curious to know will the stock trans, rear, injectors and all that good stuff be able to handle the extra power? I dont plan on putting the programmer on the highest setting, but i just dont want to ruin a perfectly good truck so im a little nervous with what i do. and i wanted to know if anyone who has a similar setup could tell me what to expect for mpg? i'm assuming it's better than my 4.0explorer which gets a terrible 14 avg.

Any help is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via MSN to JuststrokeIT
Re: Modification questions for 99-03 7.3 Powerstroke

Most people on here will agree that you should get a custom tuned chip from one of the sponsors on this site as they are made specifically to run with your truck unlike the generic tunes on the edge also a custom tuned chip will help things stay in check alot better. As far as MPG i get around 21 in mine goin around 70 down the highway. And if your looking for a cheaper alternative to an S&B with the same or more airflow the tymar style intake works great its pretty much just a 4in pipe with a huge napa filter on it

early 99 F350 Supercab longbed 4x4, Diprical gauges,GTP38R, Swamps competion fuel system with bowl delete,custom intake, 4in downpipe to 6in stacks, 200/30% hybrids from swamps, tuned by swamps, head studs.main studs, WOP cryo forged rods, ceramic coated pistons,Adrenalin HPOP,DI cam. Train horns, Ranchand front bumper DMI rear, Kumho kl71
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:31 PM
<--before leveler & block

I will tell you a little about my experiences. I have had a 2001 f-250 4x4 with the 7.3 and an auto trans. I had an AFE intake, exhaust, JW valvebody, and a wicked wheel on it. For programmers i started out with borrowing a friends superchip which gave a noticable increase in power but did nothing for the trans. Later i purchased the SCT livewire which was leaps and bounds ahead of the superchip. Then finally got a dp tuner which is the cats meow. I got a consistent 16-17 mpg with that truck. I always let it warm up for just under 10 minutes every morning also. I now have a 2000 f-250 4x4 with a 7.3 with the manual trans, 4in. exhaust, wicked wheel and AFE intake. It gets 17-18 mpg. As for the auto trans, they wont hold much more power than stock for very long. An upgraded valvebody and a good chip like a dp will tune that trans great! But will still not last forever depending on how hard the truck is driven. Some one correct me if im wrong about any of this

2000 7.3 F-250 4x4 CC/SB Lariat 6-speed, 2.5" leveler and F350 block, Swamps 200/30% injectors, Swamps tunes, GTP-38R, Valair: kevlar/ceramic clutch, 4inch exhaust, AFE stage 2,
DFA-regulated return, pre-pump mods, Isspro boost and pyro, scan gauge, ~420hp and 836tq
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 99whitetanpsd Send a message via Yahoo to 99whitetanpsd

i have tony wildmans chip, 6637 air intake, and 5 inch exaust with stacks but of course mine is an early 99 so i already have the wicked wheel,forged rods. i still have a stock tranny and is doin just fine with all the added power. as a matter of fact i have a friend of mine who has a 6.0L and is pushing almost 600 to the rear wheels and has stock tranny. really it all depends on how hard u drive ur truck. u can have a bone stoke truck and run the tranny into the ground.

E99 f250 4x4 CC SB (sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.3L powerstroke
292hp 658tq
[email protected] 1/8 mile

06 ram 2500 4x4 qc sb
5.9L 24V cummins
[email protected] 1/8 mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deereman4020 View Post
Fuk D-maxes I'll get a cummins before a D-max.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:41 PM
PSN Veteran

ive had a DP-tuner before and dont get me wrong it was a a good chip. but only problem I see is that if at any point you decide you no longer want the DP tunes you cant really just have someone else burn them you have to get a whole new chip so its just better imo to start with say a TS-style chip with custom tunes on it as probably aroun 95% of the tuners on here use it as there base.

early 99 F350 Supercab longbed 4x4, Diprical gauges,GTP38R, Swamps competion fuel system with bowl delete,custom intake, 4in downpipe to 6in stacks, 200/30% hybrids from swamps, tuned by swamps, head studs.main studs, WOP cryo forged rods, ceramic coated pistons,Adrenalin HPOP,DI cam. Train horns, Ranchand front bumper DMI rear, Kumho kl71
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Ridin Dirty Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker2 View Post
I will tell you a little about my experiences. I have had a 2001 f-250 4x4 with the 7.3 and an auto trans. I had an AFE intake, exhaust, JW valvebody, and a wicked wheel on it. For programmers i started out with borrowing a friends superchip which gave a noticable increase in power but did nothing for the trans. Later i purchased the SCT livewire which was leaps and bounds ahead of the superchip. Then finally got a dp tuner which is the cats meow. I got a consistent 16-17 mpg with that truck. I always let it warm up for just under 10 minutes every morning also. I now have a 2000 f-250 4x4 with a 7.3 with the manual trans, 4in. exhaust, wicked wheel and AFE intake. It gets 17-18 mpg. As for the auto trans, they wont hold much more power than stock for very long. An upgraded valvebody and a good chip like a dp will tune that trans great! But will still not last forever depending on how hard the truck is driven. Some one correct me if im wrong about any of this
dude how are you getting 17-18mpg out of your 2000? I got 6" stacks with a 6 speed but I don't have a aftermarket intake. my old motor the most i ever got was 16 and this motor I'm getting around 14 and maybe 15 on a good day. my cousin has the same truck but ext. cab but his is a bone stock auto and he is getting close to 20! idk whats going on I drive like a grandpa most of the time.

02 7.3,swamps injectors,wicked wheel,south bend clutch, 6 position chip thanks to KT performance, 6" lift, 6" miter cut stacks

1986 chevy K10, built 350, 400 HP tuned by S.W.A.G. Scientific Wild Ass Guess

2005 YFZ450, Sparks, Hinson, Hot Cams, ASV

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall View Post
dude how are you getting 17-18mpg out of your 2000? I got 6" stacks with a 6 speed but I don't have a aftermarket intake. my old motor the most i ever got was 16 and this motor I'm getting around 14 and maybe 15 on a good day. my cousin has the same truck but ext. cab but his is a bone stock auto and he is getting close to 20! idk whats going on I drive like a grandpa most of the time.
These things vary so much but it is important to remember the whole "system" is what affects the outcome. Any difference in the HPOP, turbo, injectors, or fuel can have a pretty prounounced affect on mileage. Even wear differences in these parts can have an effect.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Talk to matt hell get ya some great tunes and hes great guy to deal with he'll work with ya until your happy with his tunes one of the best in the business.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Well my knowledge for diesel tuning only goes as far as what my friends know and have and what I read up on. I dont plan on racing or beating the truck to death, i plan on doing the cold air and exhaust first because i just love the sound of a diesel.and i just want a nice looking truck that sounds great. i want the tuner just because the extra boost in power would be nice to keep it in gear longer and give it some balls if i gotta merge or speed up on the highway. i know a kid with basically the same setup and bigger tires and he beats his truck, doing 4wd launches and his is fine, and i wont be doing that kind of stuff so im guessing i'll be fine? i just dont wanna destroy a truck and have to buy a new trans within a month.

(btw thanks for any help guys!)

(oh and whats a wicked wheel, i'm new to alot of stuff and im trying to learn)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall View Post
What tires and gears you running? that might be the diff. The truck in my sig gets about17-18 around town. 11.5 towing a 12K toyhauler through the mtns.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode