turbo question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

turbo question

so i have had a itch to go with a bigger turbo since i have a early 99 and would like to get some more boost and power, i have heard about the van turbo and it seems like a cheap semi upgrade. would a van turbo be a bigger jump since mine is a early 99? i see this seller on ebay sellin a "stage 2" van turbo but i was just curious as to why his stage 2 was better. did he change the housing out? im not to good on all the turbo info i just want somethin better than what i got now. i prob wont ever go to crazy but would like to hit 350-375 hp one day. i currently have dp tuner, intake, exhaust. here is a link to the turbo on ebay. i saw someone had a van turbo 4 sale here awhile back for pretty cheap. if i got a stock one what could i do to make it even better. i know i will have to change the mounts to a van style so that no biggie.

FORD VAN 7.3 POWERSTROKE STAGE 2 HIGH PERFORMANCE TURBO:eBay Motors (item 220524744167 end time Dec-16-09 19:44:26 PST)

Early 99- 3.5" shackle lift, single stack, beans tunes, nvk3 pcm, 35's, billet tc, shift kit, tymer intake, some stereo stuff, 05 head lights, 05 chrome edition grill, HID's, 2 hella 500's(SOLD)

2008 f250 king ranch - 5 inch exhaust,h&s tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: turbo question

Being an early 99 you will have to change pretty much everything that goes with the turbo. Up pipes, collector, pedistal, Y pipe, intake runners, I might be missing some stuff. Just wanted to make sure you were considering all that as well. It's quite a bit added on to just the price of the turbo. But your only option to avoid all of that stuff is the D66 from beans.

This is the conversion kit you would need. http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=276

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:37 AM
Ticking time bomb

beans d66

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:37 AM
PSN Local

I am no turbo expert but in my recent findings from the nation on my setup you have one problem with this senario, this turbo wont work on your truck because if its an early 99 like mine you have the smaller turbo intake and intake runners. Also the turbo pedistal is different, up pipes and so is the intake spider.

This is an easy fix if you find the newer intake, spider and up pipes of a 99.5-03 they bolt right up. I just bought a GTP38R, but almost ended up with the BD turd of a turbo (dont even ask) but these guys here steer'd me clear of that mess and I am sure I wont be disapointed.

Early 99' F-250 Lariat LB 7.3
38r, 238/100 hybrids, head and main studs, 910's, DI pushrods, ported heads, matt's stage 1 cam, 0.030" over, forged rods, fully balanced, RR, 6637, 4" exhaust
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 AM
PSN Local

I guess I type too slow!

Early 99' F-250 Lariat LB 7.3
38r, 238/100 hybrids, head and main studs, 910's, DI pushrods, ported heads, matt's stage 1 cam, 0.030" over, forged rods, fully balanced, RR, 6637, 4" exhaust
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

i know all will have to be changed but i would get all the mount stuff used so it would be fine...there is only one option for the e99 the d66 i like it yes but price tag no...im in college so the van turbo seems in grasps.. i can build the kit slowly and later if i run into a even better set up i wont have to worry about the e99 setup, unless i go crazy which will prob never happen....i think i know someone with a 38r he said he would sell it to me for 600.. this could be a maybe as well

Early 99- 3.5" shackle lift, single stack, beans tunes, nvk3 pcm, 35's, billet tc, shift kit, tymer intake, some stereo stuff, 05 head lights, 05 chrome edition grill, HID's, 2 hella 500's(SOLD)

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
<-- GO BRONCOS

I wouldn't buy that turbo.

The main reason that people buy a van turbo is the 1.15 A/R exhaust housing, which that turbo doesn't have any more.

Also, that turbo (the one in the picture) doesn't have a ported compressor housing as they state in their ad.

This is what a ported housing looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 349_image.jpg (16.5 KB, 11 views)

Anthony

2002 F-350 SRW 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab, Auto, MBRP 4" T409 Turbo back, AFE Stage 2, Isspro gauges (Pyro, Boost, Trans), BTS VB, DP F-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(No start, Modified Stock, 60T, 80E, 120race)

Democrats are tyrants.
Republicans are cowards.
Jesus Christ is our only hope!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Snowboard season cometh..

Garage

Man, had you posted this a few weeks ago I might have had the hookup for you - an early-99 van turbo. Mine's been claimed, but they're out there.

By the way, did you ever sell your DP F5? Your ad(s) are still up & active.

1999 F250 CC SB 4x4 named "Nyx"
BTS VB;6637;A-pillar (pyro, boost, trans temp);DP F5; XM radio;Alpine CDA-9831 w/RCA inputs;Leveling kit; UnderCover tonneau cover;05 Harley headlights;4 Hella Rallye 1000s;6.0 tranny cooler & intercooler; King Ranch running boards
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadelogan View Post
Man, had you posted this a few weeks ago I might have had the hookup for you - an early-99 van turbo. Mine's been claimed, but they're out there.

By the way, did you ever sell your DP F5? Your ad(s) are still up & active.

sorry man i decided to keep the chip for the time bein. but how is a early 99 van turbo diff from the trucks early 99 turbo?

and to answer your question about why i had the chip 4 sale with a pmt1 is i had the nvk4 pcm reflashed to a pmt1 pcm but now i have a nvk3 cause the the nvk4 went bad. . . . but the chip works on them all. i was selling the chip b/c money was tight but things worked out and everything is better now...

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Snowboard season cometh..

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandproud View Post
sorry man i decided to keep the chip for the time bein. but how is a early 99 van turbo diff from the trucks early 99 turbo?

and to answer your question about why i had the chip 4 sale with a pmt1 is i had the nvk4 pcm reflashed to a pmt1 pcm but now i have a nvk3 cause the the nvk4 went bad. . . . but the chip works on them all. i was selling the chip b/c money was tight but things worked out and everything is better now...
Glad it worked out for you, but you might want to go update your ad(s) so people know it's not available.

e99 van turbo will bolt on to e99 truck - as for the specifics, I'd have to go look at it since I don't remember off the top of my head, but it has no wastegate either & bigger exhaust housing, like the late-99 van turbo

1999 F250 CC SB 4x4 named "Nyx"
BTS VB;6637;A-pillar (pyro, boost, trans temp);DP F5; XM radio;Alpine CDA-9831 w/RCA inputs;Leveling kit; UnderCover tonneau cover;05 Harley headlights;4 Hella Rallye 1000s;6.0 tranny cooler & intercooler; King Ranch running boards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode