IPR Duty Cycle: What to consider? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question IPR Duty Cycle: What to consider?

I have heard of some tuners allowing up to 95%... some only 65%... others 50%. On a few occassions I've read people cite these values and claim the tuner had good reasons ... but they forgot what they were. :)

What do y'all have on this? Min and max values for DC? And why?

Thanks guys.

Also, does anyone happen to know the total volume of the High Pressure Oil system. Outlet of the pump, lines, rails in heads, ... everything up to a closed solenoid. Just a ballpark for a stock system. Shot in the dark on that one, maybe not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: IPR Duty Cycle: What to consider?

If your HPOP system is keeping up, you shouldn't ever need more than 50% duty cycle at WOT. Any more than that IMO means your pump is undersized for your application. That is also saying you aren't trying to run an insane amount of ICP or anything like that. You can make more pressure with more duty cycle above 50% but it is the law of diminishing returns.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So your position is ... when designing/selecting a pump for my injectors ... I should be able to support full injector flow w/ 50% DC?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraph View Post
So your position is ... when designing/selecting a pump for my injectors ... I should be able to support full injector flow w/ 50% DC?
yep..... you have better control when you don't have to saturate the IPR with buttloads of voltage..... Think how much longer it takes the magnetic field to collapse when the voltage is cut if it is fully saturated. The response time of the IPR diminishes if you have to use a bunch of duty cycle.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Now that's what I'm talking about. I haven't measured the inductance of the IPR so I wasn't sure if at the rate it's operating ... if we actually see an effect from that inductance.

You just hypothesizing? Or you've seen hands on that regulated pressure gets dirtier w/ more DC?

I'm trying to strike up a compromise between too much oil and too much DC. I had just plugged in 65% as my design basis before ... 50% sounds like a good ... middle-of-the-road number haha.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraph View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about. I haven't measured the inductance of the IPR so I wasn't sure if at the rate it's operating ... if we actually see an effect from that inductance.

You just hypothesizing? Or you've seen hands on that regulated pressure gets dirtier w/ more DC?

I'm trying to strike up a compromise between too much oil and too much DC. I had just plugged in 65% as my design basis before ... 50% sounds like a good ... middle-of-the-road number haha.
Think of it this way.... You are at WOT and full oil demand, you suddenly lift the throttle and your oil demand goes away. You think the IPR is more responsive going from 90% to 5% (or less) or from 40% to 5%. This also might be at 3000 rpms where you have full oil flow from your pump. You will notice some funny things happening when you get into it, let off then try to drive right after.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah, I'm following. Thanks man.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 PM
HRT Performance

Balpark value on total HPO system volume is 1/2 gallon - maybe a bit less as a shooting from the hip guestimate.

DC% is one reason why I run a dual IPR system - it is much more responsive at higher oil flowrates for controlling pressure.

2006 Dmax MPI compounds
2015 VW Jetta TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 PM
PSN Veteran

The dynamic range of the valve starts to diminish as the DC% increases. Bigger change from 10% to 40% than 40% to 70%.

And Jason is right, double the flow of a stock pump, and a double sized IPR system is the best solution all else being constant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode