spoolin for my build! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Crew Chief

spoolin for my build!

hey all, so here's what i got goin on. I have a 97 250 with an unknown manufacturer dp and a single stage chip from Dyno sources inc. out of wurshigton I got no idea what the tune is on the chip except that it's suppose to be like a 26hp weeny or something like that. I have stock injectors and turbo and im sick of driving this fresh off the lot stocker!

here's what i want...

1)
I want a good multi-stage chip so i can put an econo-mode on it for hwy mileage, a stock setting if i have to take it in for service so i don't have to pull the pcm everytime! a good ballsy power setting that will blow some nice thick smoke, a cutoff setting so the truck won't work (like a kill switch basically), and a good ballsy power setting that won't blow black all over a trailer if im towing it (a good tune for the turbo so the fueling is appropriate for the boost, without the excess causing smoke)

2)
A quick spooling turbo that whistles something nasty that is good for about 3500 rpm (3400 is about all i've ever asked out of my motor) I would prefer not to have to change injectors as i will be comming into some money when i sell my prerunner, but not enough to warrant spending a couple grand in a new fuel system and injectors. If i must, then i guess it will be so, but im not trying to do anything ridiculous like building a sled puller or anything. i figure when all is said and done i want to pull around 800 ft/lbs?

3)
I want the exhaust to be deep and throaty. If you have ever watched a video of them trials trucks over in russia and chit, i want my truck to basically sound like that with a loud whistling turbo and deep throaty loud exhaust :

4)
And I want to be able to handle a load without my truck riding like im sitting on top of a boulder rolling over a mogul section, but at the same time, not throwing a good size trailer on it and it slanting in the back real bad like a geo metro towing a battleship on a bumper ball

The way it is now, it does ok but it's finicky. Some days i'll go out there and be totally please with it and it will seem to hook up great and be great! But alot of the time i'll romp on the go fast pedal and the stock tranny will really show me that it should be in a tacoma instead of a 250HD. I think alot of my problem performance wise is in the T/C and tranny because i'll put the pedal down about 3/4 the way and the motor will wind up to like 25-2700 and sit there real nice until the tranny decides to catch up and make the speedo follow the tac a little bit. Basically i'm a mess, I don't know crap about diesels as compared to what i know about gassers because i've raced with gas motors, built gas motors, played with gassers, and built offroad toys with gassers. Now i'm trying to learn something new, and im pretty sure after having bought this truck because i thought having a diesel for mileage and reliability would be cool, I will never buy another gasser... PSD 4-life.

ultimate goal: ~800 ft/lbs, 25+ mpg in econo for hwy mileage, not having to get super involved with headstuds, valve springs, pushrods, cam, and all that nonsense unless i have to, and sounding f$!*%@# bad ace and blowin some smoke if i turn it on. Can you guys help me out with some good suggestions? Thanks all!

Brian
97 F250 4x4 SCLB SRW: 120cc AB cali splits, Dyno Sources chip, Baldwin P2818, 3"-3.5" two piece DP, 4" straight pipe, solid axle swap, 1ton suspension, powerslot rotors, procomp 7028's, Falken 285's, operation: de-chromatization in progress. Stock ford E4OD w/ stock cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:58 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker
Re: spoolin for my build!

Call Matt at Gearhead Automotive

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:32 PM
<-- GO BRONCOS

How much $$$$ do you want to spend?

Anthony

2002 F-350 SRW 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab, Auto, MBRP 4" T409 Turbo back, AFE Stage 2, Isspro gauges (Pyro, Boost, Trans), BTS VB, DP F-5
(No start, Modified Stock, 60T, 80E, 120race)

Democrats are tyrants.
Republicans are cowards.
Jesus Christ is our only hope!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:48 PM
PSN Veteran

NO way are you going to get 800 tq out of your stock inejectors
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-350 View Post
NO way are you going to get 800 tq out of your stock inejectors
Maybe 600 ft. lbs. Thats a stretch.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Non Helpful Member

not on stock AA he wont

2 fords that make no power
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Just re read OP first post .Think he will be alittle shy.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:39 AM
PSN Local

You will never see 800 ft lbs with stock injectors. 25 mpg is VERY HARD to do with a 4x4 pickup. Sorry to rain on the parade but it just is not that feasable. 800ft lbs can be done with ome decent mods.

TOTALLED 1995 F-250
ISSPro, Grand Rock, DPP, DLC Diesel Performance, Total Diesel Performance, ATS, and a tired TTB.

1997 F-250
Precision Industries, Full Force Diesel, Beans Diesel Performance, DLC Diesel Performance, Banks Power, Aeromotive, Terminator Engineering, Gearhead Automotive, SuperLift, Bilstein, and a Dana 60
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:48 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What kind of budget are you working with?

I'd go stg1 injectors, custom tuning and a VB for the trans.

2005 F-250
Tuning by-Gearhead Automotive & Innovative
Performance Truck Products
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Crew Chief

well right off the bat, i said I would prefer not to change the injectors if I didn't have to. 25 mpg IS feasible because im running inefficient as heck right now and I can get 21 hwy.

As for injectors, I don't want to go way overkill for what im looking for power-wise. I saw a chart a while back of the spread of different injectors and how they compare to each other. Like i said, i don't know much about these powerstrokes because it's my first one and i haven't really gotten into it yet. So the stock injectors are AA? Are stage one's like the next step up, or is there a few steps in between?

800 ft/lbs was kind of a shot in the dark, and im pretty sure that most of yall are referring to RWTQ ratings. Coming from the gasser world, i was talking engine TQ... From what i've read, the 7.3 in 97 was rated at 525 ft/lbs stock at the motor. honestly, 650-700 would probably be plenty... With stock flywheel hp rated at 235, my best guess would be that I fully expect to stay under 400 hp if not right at it.

As for budget, im looking at a lump of at least 10k for my expo im selling, and I have no other plans for that so... i guess 10k for now with more money comming in as i go. But I do have like 1k reserved for a new bed because mine is hammered, and I also want to put a dana60 under the front end because this ttb sucks nuts. good for offroad, bad for big truck...

Brian
97 F250 4x4 SCLB SRW: 120cc AB cali splits, Dyno Sources chip, Baldwin P2818, 3"-3.5" two piece DP, 4" straight pipe, solid axle swap, 1ton suspension, powerslot rotors, procomp 7028's, Falken 285's, operation: de-chromatization in progress. Stock ford E4OD w/ stock cooler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode