Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tymar filter question

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Justin@DP-Tuner 
#1 ·
Well dumb@$$ of the day award goes to me. I decided to finally put on my Donaldson tymar filter and new intake hose after much procrastination. I unfortunately was over charged for my 4" piece of exhaust piping that the guy cut the wrong length. Well I'm not scared of a few sparks so I plugged my grinder in and hacked off the extra 4" or so, not realizing I was filling the inside of my filter with grinding dust (it was still attached to the pipe as I thought it would help me keep a straight cut as I went around :badidea::badidea:) I tried blowing it out but I still see some dust on the inside of the filter any idea how I should proceed? I put it on the truck but won't be driving it till tomorrow so if there is something I could do before then for peace of mind the advice is appreciated!

#2 ·
Comment won't help you but guy I sold my '95 to washed the 6637 in gas, blew it off with an air hose, reinstalled it and started the truck. Had been sitting all night at about 0, fired up and screamed along even with the key off until it burned all the fumes out. Cost him 2 bent rods + $$$...

#4 ·
Donaldson filters are inexpensive..... I'd toss it and put a new one on. Use brake clean with clean rag and clean the inside of the pipe to ensure you have all the metal dust and bits out. Chaulk it up to learning experience gained.

At least you didn't wash it out with gas.... My word now THAT was an expensive filter service!

jrc

#5 ·
Now that sounds like a bad day! I actually ended up just driving it because I had to go to work and it will be another week for a new filter to get here. Hopefully no issues but by the time I read these the stock air box is at a dump somewhere.

#6 ·
I have found that it is always best to purchase Donaldson filters two at a time. Then when you are down to just one reorder 1 or 2 more. It never hurts to have a spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.