Aftermarket Intercoolers - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Aftermarket Intercoolers

Well I have my whole front end opened up doing an 08 conversion to my 2000 F550. I figure this is the best time to upgrade the intercooler. I used an 07 6.0 intercooler on my last 7.3 as an upgrade but really wanted to go Banks or Mishimoto this time. But ouch big $$$. I have been checking eBay and CL for a good used unit but no luck. Then I came across this: 1999 2003 Ford Powerstroke 7 3L Turbo Diesel Front Mount Intercooler | eBay
Looks like a really nice piece for the price. But quality??? Have any of you used one of these? What do you think? Worth a try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 PM
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER

Re: Aftermarket Intercoolers

the stock IC is more then enough for the 7.3 except for the fact that it has plastic tanks..my early 99 came stock with the aluminum IC and my temps run just as good if not better then reported numbers with a 6.0.banks or a Mishimoto IC....IMO you would get better results by adding an aluminum radiator sitting next to the IC..

Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Sponsors

Re: Aftermarket Intercoolers

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzharley View Post
Well I have my whole front end opened up doing an 08 conversion to my 2000 F550. I figure this is the best time to upgrade the intercooler. I used an 07 6.0 intercooler on my last 7.3 as an upgrade but really wanted to go Banks or Mishimoto this time. But ouch big $$$. I have been checking eBay and CL for a good used unit but no luck. Then I came across this: 1999 2003 Ford Powerstroke 7 3L Turbo Diesel Front Mount Intercooler | eBay
Looks like a really nice piece for the price. But quality??? Have any of you used one of these? What do you think? Worth a try?
Thanks for considering our intercooler for your F-550! Our 7.3L intercooler will be a drop-in replacement for your truck, although the 6.0L unit can be used with the help of larger boots and some slight tweaking. These two coolers are a bit different, and the differences should be considered based on your goals for the truck. Our 7.3L cooler features a cut-and-weld aluminum end tank, while the 6.0L unit is a cast-aluminum piece. Both are very durable, and will handle just about any pressure you can throw at them. The primary benefit of the cast tanks in this application would be in terms of flow. The smoother internal flow of the cast tanks will improve airflow and reduce turbulence in the tank. Now, this will come into play with higher powered trucks, so this will vary based on your setup.

The other difference is the core type. The 7.3L cooler we offer used a tube-and-fin style core while our 6.0L unit is bar-and-plate. The bar-and-plate will be more effective at transferring heat in higher powered applications, but will also provide more restriction in terms of airflow to the radiator. Here it will be a give-and-take. Both are likely to perform well, but you can use this information to make a decision that works best for you.

If you are not planning to significantly modify the truck, simply cleaning the stock cooler may be a better (and free) option for you. Stock intercoolers on relatively mild trucks tend to perform just fine. Clean out the external fins with a light hose-down to remove dirt/debris and clan the oil from the internal portion of the cooler with either soapy water or solvent. More details on this can be found on our guide for CAC systems linked below.

Boots, Blowouts, and Boost Tubes: How to Build a Reliable CAC Piping System | Mishimoto Engineering Blog

Hopefully this information was helpful. If you do intend to pick up one of our coolers, be sure to check with our vendors for the best available pricing.

Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Thanks
-John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode