installed new injectors - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

installed new injectors

just installed P.I.S. 175/80 injectors and had my chip retuned by gear head. i ran it a bit before i got my chip back and obviously it smoked a good bit and loped during idle, but had a lot of power... but now i got the chip back and installed, it is still idling fairly rough but not loping. it took care of the smoke 99% but i dont really notice any more power between the chip in the all out setting or having the chip completely unplugged. in the eco/tow tune say im going 55 mph and brake slightly for a corner coming up, the torque converter unlocks.. it doesnt matter what speed im going the converter unlocks when ever i hit the brake. i tried just touching the brake while i was still giving it gas and the converter still unlocks.. it only does it in the 1 setting.. i called gear head and they are sending me a loaner chip because the whisper setting just shuts my truck off. sooo... idk if the new chip will address these issues.

my questions:
1. are single shots supposed to idle rough? meaning shaking the truck and such.

2. should i notice more power with the chip in the all out setting compared to not having the chip installed at all?

3. has anyone else experienced the torque converter unlocking when ever you touch the brakes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 10:16 PM
whistle tits

Re: installed new injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 View Post
just installed P.I.S. 175/80 injectors and had my chip retuned by gear head. i ran it a bit before i got my chip back and obviously it smoked a good bit and loped during idle, but had a lot of power... but now i got the chip back and installed, it is still idling fairly rough but not loping. it took care of the smoke 99% but i dont really notice any more power between the chip in the all out setting or having the chip completely unplugged. in the eco/tow tune say im going 55 mph and brake slightly for a corner coming up, the torque converter unlocks.. it doesnt matter what speed im going the converter unlocks when ever i hit the brake. i tried just touching the brake while i was still giving it gas and the converter still unlocks.. it only does it in the 1 setting.. i called gear head and they are sending me a loaner chip because the whisper setting just shuts my truck off. sooo... idk if the new chip will address these issues.

my questions:

2. should i notice more power with the chip in the all out setting compared to not having the chip installed at all?

3. has anyone else experienced the torque converter unlocking when ever you touch the brakes?
No single shots will not idle rough. Maybe you haven't worked all the air out of the high pressure oil system yet. yes you should notice a huge jump in power between no chip and all out setting. I'm pretty sure torque converter is supposed to unlock when brakes are applied.

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 11:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:

my questions:

Once the air is worked out of the oil system, no, the truck should not idle rough. It may idle louder (have more clack to it) with single shots compared to split shots though.

Yes, definitely. Unless fuel is pulled so far back to eliminate any smoke. What turbo are you running? If you are running a stock turbo, I can see why your tuner would pull fuel way back.

This is likely in the tune, as that is what is controlling when to lock and unlock. Talk to your tuner about this. You can watch when the torque converter is commanded to lock and unlock via a scan tool if you want to confirm that it is tune related.
See responses in red.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

by now i have probably 200 miles on the injectors and i havent really been the nicest to it, so im guessing all the air is worked out.

i am running a stock turbo for the time being.. im guessing that is what they did, just pulled the fuel back.... better get a turbo then lol.

i called gear head about the torque converter unlocking and they said its common and no solution for it yet?

SOLD - 2001 7.3 zf6 sclb 4 inch exhaust, s&b intake, ts chip

SOLD - 2002 7.3 ecsb 4" exhaust, s&b intake, diesel site wicked wheel 2, diesel site 4r100 trans, 175/80 injectors, tuned by gear head

CURRENT - 2013 6.7 ccsb - Absolute performance intake, Absolute performance egr delete, Absolute performance tuning, 5" exhaust
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Yeah I'd be shopping for a turbo. The stock turbo won't last long with those injectors plus with a different turbo, you will get better response out of the 175/80's

2001 F-250 4X4 SCSB 7.3 Auto X Codes w/ 2" Hanger/Shackle Drop Kit-38R w/Turbomaster,AFE, T500, Regulated Return, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, JWVB, 4"Exhaust, Hydra w/ Gearhead, PHP, and Powerstruck tunes, Powerstruck 180/100's Live Tuned by Powerstruck and then some!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

i might just let the stocker take a crap before i get a new one tho lol, idk. no idea about what power these injectors actually make, think pmr will last alright with them?

SOLD - 2002 7.3 ecsb 4" exhaust, s&b intake, diesel site wicked wheel 2, diesel site 4r100 trans, 175/80 injectors, tuned by gear head

CURRENT - 2013 6.7 ccsb - Absolute performance intake, Absolute performance egr delete, Absolute performance tuning, 5" exhaust
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 04:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Gearhead tunes are conservative. Did you tell him that you were installing single shots in a SD?

The converter unlocking when you hit the brake is common.

Billy T.
[email protected]

'97 Black F250HD SC 3.55s, Punisher trans, PI Converter, Dana 60 RSK w/ V & C SD springs,
PIS 175/80s, HB Jr, Comp910s, Smith Bros PRs, ARPs, Fluidampr, IC, E-Fuel, CJC Traction blocks, HFHV IDM, T4/BASB, 262K

Other vehicles
-1987 Buick Grand National (Staged)
-2004 Mercury Marauder
-1993 Geo Prizm (beater)
-2016 F350 DRW Utlimate
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

yes i gave them all my info about the truck. what do you mean conservative?

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
by now i have probably 200 miles on the injectors and i havent really been the nicest to it, so im guessing all the air is worked out.

i am running a stock turbo for the time being.. im guessing that is what they did, just pulled the fuel back.... better get a turbo then lol.

i called gear head about the torque converter unlocking and they said its common and no solution for it yet?
A lot of tuners have problems with keeping the converter locked in the 2002 and 2003 trucks. Jody (our tuner) figured this out quite some time ago so our tunes do not have this issue. I hear about this a lot though, and it is definitely not just with Gearhead.

If Gearhead knew you had a stock turbo, I am almost certain they pulled more fuel back because of it. Can't speak for them though, so it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

well its a huge increase of the stock injectors so im not worried about them limiting the fuel to save the turbo as of yet. once i get a new turbo in i will have my chip retuned for it. if it will idle smooth then im not too worried about it right now. thanks for the response.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode